Unlimited Yard Clean Up

onestop67
Guru

Unlimited Yard Clean Up

Post by onestop67 »

Article said to discuss in forums, so here we go.

Last week was the first of 2 unlimited yard waste pickup days. It was also the day that Penticton had the largest single day rainfall in recorded history. And because you're only allowed to put out that unlimited yard waste is to use paper bags (albeit wax coated) that you have to buy at Home Hardware, the weather killed that option.

So being that that week turned into not being to put out your bags, maybe the city could offer another one?

Not bitching, just suggesting.
pentona
Übergod

Re: Unlimited Yard Clean Up

Post by pentona »

There is another one coming up; April 16-20th. I agree re the paper bags; not so great if it rains.

http://www.penticton.ca/EN/meta/city-ne ... -up-1.html
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Is this a matter of no one wants to bag yard waste in the rain or a concern that the waste collector won't pick up a soggy broken paper bag? Just asking. Does seem rather pertinent though.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:Is this a matter of no one wants to bag yard waste in the rain or a concern that the waste collector won't pick up a soggy broken paper bag? Just asking. Does seem rather pertinent though.

If you cannot store the paper bags under cover; they will not stand up to this rain lately. The driver isn't likley going to clean up what falls out if the bag breaks. Not sure what the answer is, as plastic is no longer accepted.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

pentona wrote:If you cannot store the paper bags under cover; they will not stand up to this rain lately. The driver isn't likley going to clean up what falls out if the bag breaks. Not sure what the answer is, as plastic is no longer accepted.

Well there's the rub then isn't it. Environmentally acceptable disposal of compostable material is weather dependant. And if the weather is rainy during the week of unlimited pickup, we then dispose of it how? I would cite the favourite hillside roads but that would just compound the problem of the local residents in the area dealing with people that won't even put out the money for the paper bags at Home Hardware or Rona.
If the City wants people to comply with regs, they have to be more flexible in yard waste pickup.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

twobits wrote:Is this a matter of no one wants to bag yard waste in the rain or a concern that the waste collector won't pick up a soggy broken paper bag? Just asking. Does seem rather pertinent though.

I personally didn't want to bag up to only have it not picked up cause it would get wet and break apart. I watched the weather forecast leading up to that first unlimited pickup day and when I saw it was going to rain hard, I didn't bother doing the yardwork.
onestop67
Guru

Post by onestop67 »

twobits wrote:
pentona wrote:If you cannot store the paper bags under cover; they will not stand up to this rain lately. The driver isn't likley going to clean up what falls out if the bag breaks. Not sure what the answer is, as plastic is no longer accepted.

Well there's the rub then isn't it. Environmentally acceptable disposal of compostable material is weather dependant. And if the weather is rainy during the week of unlimited pickup, we then dispose of it how? I would cite the favourite hillside roads but that would just compound the problem of the local residents in the area dealing with people that won't even put out the money for the paper bags at Home Hardware or Rona.
If the City wants people to comply with regs, they have to be more flexible in yard waste pickup.

I have the bags from Home Hardware. I have a 100 year old walnut tree in the yard and it takes at least 10 bags a year to clean up the leaves and nuts. I did bag them up last week and tarped them. Fingers crossed that it isn't raining this Thursday...my next pickup day.

Return to “South Okanagan”