Hwy 3A Closure - Road Reopened?

KPARKER83
Fledgling

Hwy 3A Closure - Road Reopened?

Post by KPARKER83 »

Just wondering if anyone knows if HWY 3A has reopened either completely or partially for traffic.
Drive BC Indicates an update at noon but thought someone may know sooner :)
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Hwy 3A Closure - Road Reopened?

Post by ferri »

UPDATE: 12:50 p.m.

Highway 3A at Yellow Lake will be closed until at least midday Saturday as crews clean up a mudslide, according to DriveBC.

The mudslide spewed debris all over the highway at about 7 a.m. on Friday morning, about 10 kilometres north of Keremeos.

An alternate route is available via Highway 97 and Highway 3.

DriveBC said the next update will be expected at noon on Saturday.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -all-night
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Flagger I spoke to yesterday said he was told he would be there until tuesday on the outside, and monday at least.I suppose though that they could open one lane alternating before then. I think a lot of it has to do with how much rain comes down tonight (sat) and tomorrow with regard to bank stability. And rain is forecast.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Looking at the aerial photo it kind of looks like a section of the road got washed away. So it might not be just the bank stability that is in question.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closed beyond Tuesday but at this point it’s anyone’s guess.

People that live in Keremeos and work in Penticton are going to have a long commute.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Bunnyhop wrote:Looking at the aerial photo it kind of looks like a section of the road got washed away. So it might not be just the bank stability that is in question.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s closed beyond Tuesday but at this point it’s anyone’s guess.

People that live in Keremeos and work in Penticton are going to have a long commute.

If it does drag on too long I would hope that the PIB steps up and allows these people to use Green Mountain Rd.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

It’s a narrow and winding road so I can see why they don’t want heavy traffic on it. But local traffic shouldn’t have to detour over an hour through Osoyoos.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Bunnyhop wrote:It’s a narrow and winding road so I can see why they don’t want heavy traffic on it. But local traffic shouldn’t have to detour over an hour through Osoyoos.

They'd have to do that because the PIB doesn't want anyone using "their" road. There's nothing wrong with Green Mountain Road - I talked to a few people who had used it. Way to work with everyone on this PIB...
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Tony wrote:They'd have to do that because the PIB doesn't want anyone using "their" road. There's nothing wrong with Green Mountain Road - I talked to a few people who had used it. Way to work with everyone on this PIB...

If that's true then maybe they shouldn't be able to use "our" roads!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Lots of traffic on Green Mountian Road, PIB isn't restricting people from using the detour as far as I know or have seen.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Cut and Paste from the Drive BC site:

Mud SlideHighway 3A between Keremeos and Highway 97 Junction Both directions - Closed in both directions 18.5 km east of Keremeos because of Mud Slide.No estimated time of opening detour at Keremeos junction use Highway 3 to Highway 97 and Kaleden junction use Highway 97 to Highway 3. Next update April 16th at 4pm . Updated on Sun Apr 15 at 10:18 am PDT. (ID# 282888)

Next update Monday afternoon. Doesn't sound like they're optimistic about a quick re-opening.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

:kiss:
Green Mountain Rd is a provincially designated road. It is maintained and repaired by Argo. Anything off the easement of the roadway is Federally regulated reserve lands. There is a creek system that runs parallel to Green Mountain Rd called, Shingle Creek. This water system is heavily populated with beavers and in some cases where the water is damming up, mitigation plans are put in place to ensure public safety and infrastructure is protected. There is surveying and geo-technical assessments taking place on Green Mountain Rd. and the adjacent creek system as we are expecting a damaging freshet and plenty of rain.
This road is not maintained as a high-capacity highway, obeying the speed limits, being mindful cyclists and in some cases, runners frequently use this road for training.
There have been two instances in the last little while, where the road was closed due to washouts. With the current contingent of available road crews being deployed to highway 3A, servicing for a slide on Green Mountain would be effected. The only delegation legally authorized to close the road or restrict access is Argo, with the authorization of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. If there were to be a high-scale slide, flood or washout, the incident would be provided a response from Provincial Emergency Services and be deployed to manage the situation. The Reserve is within the RDOS boundary and as a result, there are three levels of government actively involved in the capacity for the infrastructure to hold up to high-volume road use.
Really guys, please consider the divisive tone to the rumours to be so passe and outdated. Penticton Indian Band is actively engaged in being equal regional partners, developing resource and economic opportunities for the area.
civilian

Post by civilian »

As the curious person I am I went up to take a look Yesterday (Saturday) From what I could see it's no wonder it will be awhile till the road opens. Argo has only a medium sized backhoe and a single small Dump truck clearing the road (The slide is a good 12 feet deep and maybe 30 to 50 feet wide) .They have more Flaggers than they have people clearing. God knows they don't get paid enough to enable weekend work @ full tilt. (just my thoughts) At the rate I saw yesterday it will take a week to open the road. What they should do is get a big frontend loader in there and plow that slide debris into the lake (it's only about 10 feet deep in that area anyway) and finish the job that Mother Nature Started and create another Pullout for the Tourists and Fishermen, (sorry Fisherpersons).
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

civilian wrote:As the curious person I am I went up to take a look Yesterday (Saturday) From what I could see it's no wonder it will be awhile till the road opens. Argo has only a medium sized backhoe and a single small Dump truck clearing the road (The slide is a good 12 feet deep and maybe 30 to 50 feet wide) .They have more Flaggers than they have people clearing. God knows they don't get paid enough to enable weekend work @ full tilt. (just my thoughts) At the rate I saw yesterday it will take a week to open the road. What they should do is get a big frontend loader in there and plow that slide debris into the lake (it's only about 10 feet deep in that area anyway) and finish the job that Mother Nature Started and create another Pullout for the Tourists and Fishermen, (sorry Fisherpersons).

Could you tell if any of the road got taken out? Its hard to tell in the aerial picture but it looks like it could have?

Or maybe its just all debris and shadows.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Dawnland wrote::kiss:
Green Mountain Rd is a provincially designated road. It is maintained and repaired by Argo. Anything off the easement of the roadway is Federally regulated reserve lands. There is a creek system that runs parallel to Green Mountain Rd called, Shingle Creek. This water system is heavily populated with beavers and in some cases where the water is damming up, mitigation plans are put in place to ensure public safety and infrastructure is protected. There is surveying and geo-technical assessments taking place on Green Mountain Rd. and the adjacent creek system as we are expecting a damaging freshet and plenty of rain.
This road is not maintained as a high-capacity highway, obeying the speed limits, being mindful cyclists and in some cases, runners frequently use this road for training.
There have been two instances in the last little while, where the road was closed due to washouts. With the current contingent of available road crews being deployed to highway 3A, servicing for a slide on Green Mountain would be effected. The only delegation legally authorized to close the road or restrict access is Argo, with the authorization of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure. If there were to be a high-scale slide, flood or washout, the incident would be provided a response from Provincial Emergency Services and be deployed to manage the situation. The Reserve is within the RDOS boundary and as a result, there are three levels of government actively involved in the capacity for the infrastructure to hold up to high-volume road use.
Really guys, please consider the divisive tone to the rumours to be so passe and outdated. Penticton Indian Band is actively engaged in being equal regional partners, developing resource and economic opportunities for the area.

From the original Castanet story:
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/223615/Hwy-3A-closed-all-night

UPDATE: 4 p.m.

Motorists are advised that Green Mountain Road should be avoided as a detour. There are unconfirmed reports it is open only to local traffic heading to Apex Mountain. Given the poor condition of the road, the Penticton Indian Band is recommending traffic stays on highways and detours through Osoyoos.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Dawnland
Board Meister

Post by Dawnland »

Yes, and your point? I can recommend that you jump off a bridge, but it doesn't mean you have to.
The Band can recommend but Argo and MOTI have the say-so.
There is frequent issues with the road that will only be exasperated by high-volume traffic. With the swift water, spring run-off and land slides in the area, I would question any organization who would send high-volume highway traffic down that road. Green Mountain Rd also doesn't have highway speed limits. If you want to drive at highway speeds with regular highway maintenance, go the other way.
It's just a recommendation, period.

Return to “South Okanagan”