3 car crash hwy 97 and hwy 3

pensumkel

3 car crash hwy 97 and hwy 3

Post by pensumkel »

This intersection has to be one of the most dangerous in the province, from being stopped on hwy 3 and waiting to gain access to hwy 97 to go north the visibility of cars coming south on hwy97 is marginal, there are two lanes heading south, drivers typically are speeding, the same for the cars heading north on hwy97. A slight misjudgement, a slight hesitation, and there can be a collision, and it will be a bad one. To fix it install a light, at least people seem to obey traffic lights.
twobits
Guru

Re: 3 car crash hwy 97 and hwy 3

Post by twobits »

pensumkel wrote:This intersection has to be one of the most dangerous in the province, from being stopped on hwy 3 and waiting to gain access to hwy 97 to go north the visibility of cars coming south on hwy97 is marginal, there are two lanes heading south, drivers typically are speeding, the same for the cars heading north on hwy97. A slight misjudgement, a slight hesitation, and there can be a collision, and it will be a bad one. To fix it install a light, at least people seem to obey traffic lights.

Ya sure, lets put more lights on the Hwy's to make the designation of being a Hwy moot. I mean this seriously. We designate roads as Hwy or Freeway for what they are.....the rapid movement of vehicles. If you are incapable of travelling the posted speed limit or merging into that speed limit, then that is the problem. Perhaps rather than slowing down all hwy traffic to the lowest common denominator of driver for safety of all, more frequent and rigorous testing every five years might change things. As it is, license in teens and no test till 70.
There is nothing unsafe about that intersection except shity drivers. There are even two options for merging north.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Are we talking about this intersection:
https://www.google.com/maps/@49.0357065 ... 312!8i6656

Or should the title of this thread be Hwy 3A
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

I went past the accident the OP is referring to and it wasn’t at the main intersection of Hwys 97 and 3A. It was at the south intersection, meant for those heading south toward OK Falls.

Seems like more people are starting to use that one to turn north towards Penticton.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bunnyhop wrote:I went past the accident the OP is referring to and it wasn’t at the main intersection of Hwys 97 and 3A. It was at the south intersection, meant for those heading south toward OK Falls.

Seems like more people are starting to use that one to turn north towards Penticton.

Hwy 3A is just south of Kaleden
Hwy 3 is in Osoyoos
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:Are we talking about this intersection:

Can you not take the right-hand fork at this point, and still turn left onto 97?

I mean, there is a stop sign here, and nothing to indicate you can’t make a left hand turn. It’s got far more visibility as well.
Attachments
C7EF6A8B-4515-4CA0-A321-87830C0A4284.jpeg
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Always Sunny wrote:Can you not take the right-hand fork at this point, and still turn left onto 97?

I mean, there is a stop sign here, and nothing to indicate you can’t make a left hand turn. It’s got far more visibility as well.

I was not questioning the ability of turning, please reread my post you quoted.
OP titled this thread about Hwy 97 at Hwy 3, when in fact it's about Hwy 97 at Hwy 3A.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:

Always Sunny wrote:Can you not take the right-hand fork at this point, and still turn left onto 97?

I was not questioning the ability of turning, please reread my post you quoted.
OP titled this thread about Hwy 97 at Hwy 3, when in fact it's about Hwy 97 at Hwy 3A.

My post was to support yours which is why I posted a picture from that intersection.

At 97 and 3a there is more than one way to enter 97 northbound. The one I posted seems like the safer option.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

GordonH wrote:
Bunnyhop wrote:I went past the accident the OP is referring to and it wasn’t at the main intersection of Hwys 97 and 3A. It was at the south intersection, meant for those heading south toward OK Falls.

Hwy 3A is just south of Kaleden
Hwy 3 is in Osoyoos

Yes the OP obviously meant 3A and that is where the accident was that I went by.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

As a driver is heading south on Hwy 97:
1) first one is merge off 97 on to 3A (only)
2) second is turn left (north) off 3A onto 97 (only)
3) third is turn right (south) onto 97, as well turn left off 97 onto 3A (if you are heading north on 97)

There is no second turning left off 3A (heading north)
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

GordonH wrote:As a driver is heading south on Hwy 97:
3) third is turn right (south) onto 97, as well turn left off 97 onto 3A (if you are heading north on 97)

There is no sign saying right turn only. Although the intersection is designed for eastbound 3A to turn right onto southbound 97 there is nothing at the southern intersection advising no left turn onto northbound 97. Regardless of the danger in doing so it is not a violation to turn left, northbound. Check it out for yourself or use google streetview.

There is also clear wear marks on the road that this is done more than once in a while. Possibly by those that see a line of left turners ahead and instead go right (then left) to avoid waiting in line. I have seen many a driver hesitate and end up causing a big line to form because of their lack of experience or ability to drive. Maybe due to mobility issues of turning neck left and right quickly.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

More and more people are using the southern access from Highway 3A to Highway 97 (where the recent accident was).
I have found you have a better view of the on-coming southbound traffic from this stop. The drawback is that once they get past the main intersection to the north, a lot of southbound motorists start to accelerate heading up the hill.
Having said all that, I think I read a note from Highways recently that the whole intersection is scheduled to undergo a major reconfiguration, which would include the relocation of the weigh scales.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

RupertBear wrote:More and more people are using the southern access from Highway 3A to Highway 97 (where the recent accident was).
I have found you have a better view of the on-coming southbound traffic from this stop. The drawback is that once they get past the main intersection to the north, a lot of southbound motorists start to accelerate heading up the hill.
Having said all that, I think I read a note from Highways recently that the whole intersection is scheduled to undergo a major reconfiguration, which would include the relocation of the weigh scales.

Agreed. Why don't they start by lowering the speed limit to 60 KPH until well past the South entrance and perhaps ONLY allowing left turns from 3A onto 97 Northbound from the South entrance. This would help somewhat, I believe. I also don't care for the signage heading South that states "Osoyoos use both lanes". I think it should say "Oliver/Osoyoos/U.S.) use left lane only. That way someone coming off 3A (at the North entrance) would know that anyone in the right lane of 97 would be (or should be) turning onto 3A. This is how it is done just South of Gorman's Mill, right lane turns onto the Coke; the left continues Southbound.

Either that or make a big roundabout and then everyone would have no choice but to slow down and play by the rules. I believe that part of the issue with doing anything there was being held up by the Native land issues.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JagXKR wrote:There is no sign saying right turn only. Although the intersection is designed for eastbound 3A to turn right onto southbound 97 there is nothing at the southern intersection advising no left turn onto northbound 97. Regardless of the danger in doing so it is not a violation to turn left, northbound. Check it out for yourself or use google streetview.
Only a complete idiot would go against the arc of the road, its arced to lineup with 97 south
There is also clear wear marks on the road that this is done more than once in a while. Possibly by those that see a line of left turners ahead and instead go right (then left) to avoid waiting in line. I have seen many a driver hesitate and end up causing a big line to form because of their lack of experience or ability to drive. Maybe due to mobility issues of turning neck left and right quickly.

Then I guess drivers should do 2 things:
1) actually pay attention
2) learn to read traffic signs i.e https://www.google.com/maps/@49.3821722 ... 312!8i6656
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

JagXKR wrote:

There is no sign saying right turn only. Although the intersection is designed for eastbound 3A to turn right onto southbound 97 there is nothing at the southern intersection advising no left turn onto northbound 97. Regardless of the danger in doing so it is not a violation to turn left, northbound. Check it out for yourself or use google streetview.

This is what I was describing. I’ve seen people take the right-hand fork as though they’re headed to OK Falls, and then because of the stop sign (not a yield) where that section meets 97, make the left turn northbound back toward Penticton.

Return to “South Okanagan”