"Stocks" hand-tinted photographs

occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

"Stocks" hand-tinted photographs

Post by occasional thoughts »

I have two very beautiful (my taste) hand-tinted photographs of the South Okanagan, but depicting Okanagan Lake scenes. The hand-tinted colouration if fabulous. I discovered hand-tinted photographs in antique and junk stores in the 1970s and collected a number of them about various B.C. locales. The two Okanagan ones are marked "Stocks" in Penticton. Anyone have any background about the company or the artist?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: "Stocks" hand-tinted photographs

Post by Anonymous123 »

"Stocks" was a camera shop in Penticton.

image.jpeg

You will find lots of their photographs here:

http://www.oldphotos.ca/archivos/collection.php?collectionID=2&folderID=279747023
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Thanks. While I don't recognize either of the two hand-tinted photograpohs that I own, the name gave me something solid to Google on. Seems that his son took over from him for about 30 years. I'm thinking (guessing) that the hand tinting era was that of the father but I'd like to know more. I also see that the Penticton Art Gallery did an exhibition on him rather recently; I'm sure disappointed that I missed it.
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

The Stocks are a well known family who homesteaded across the lake from Kelowna, around the turn of the century. Bill Barlee used to mention them often, on his show about Okanagan history, 'Gold Trails and Ghost Towns'. The 'Okanagan Historical Society' have published a number of articles about the family, too. Here's one about the Patriarch, Rev. Phillip Stocks.

https://open.library.ubc.ca/collections/ohs/items/1.0132199#p109z-5r0F:stocks --

I believe it was Phillip's son, Lumb, who did the hand-tinted photos of the Okanagan. He apparently opened his first store in Kelowna, and then moved to Penticton.
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn

Return to “South Okanagan”