Monster Wall

Chimera

Monster Wall

Post by Chimera »

I am amazed that this wall got built so high. Article states that city council signed off on a variance for the property that would bump that wall up to 2.5 metres within a setback, but still nowhere near what was actually built. Isn't a city inspector supposed to drop in and inspect projects during the build process or no? Don't they have to "sign off" on a building permit once the project is complete? Frankly, if it was Regular Joe that built this wall he would be forced to tear it down, why is council even considering to approve a proposed variance?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -neighbour
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Monster Wall

Post by Bsuds »

There are just too many who think they can get away with doing this kind of thing and it seems to happen more and more.

The penalties should be very harsh as in fines and the item must be removed or no more permits will be issued for the development until they comply!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
blueliner
Übergod

Post by blueliner »

Chimera wrote:I am amazed that this wall got built so high. Article states that city council signed off on a variance for the property that would bump that wall up to 2.5 metres within a setback, but still nowhere near what was actually built. Isn't a city inspector supposed to drop in and inspect projects during the build process or no? Don't they have to "sign off" on a building permit once the project is complete? Frankly, if it was Regular Joe that built this wall he would be forced to tear it down, why is council even considering to approve a proposed variance?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -neighbour

Guess its the same old story in Penticton , its who you know in City Hall and you can get away with anything .
Been certain big contractors in Penticton have been getting away with thing type of stuff for years .
Like you say the Regular Joe would never get pass 1st base on this wall .
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Fellow that built the wall, owner of the company doing all the work on Main street. Should it matter? No it shouldn't in my opinion.

Until a precedent is set, and the city enforces its own bylaws, stuff like this will continue.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

seewood wrote:Fellow that built the wall, owner of the company doing all the work on Main street. Should it matter? No it shouldn't in my opinion.

Until a precedent is set, and the city enforces its own bylaws, stuff like this will continue.

I see this as a prime opportunity for City Council to gain a few brownie points with the Public, by not showing any favoritism with WHO built the wall and who owns it, and do the right thing and make them tear it down. If Council chooses to skirt around the owner/issue and ignore it, then they are setting a dangerous precident for future building permits and I think it would cost them votes in the Fall. My opinion, anyways.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Wagstaff/Grizzly are spreading the tail feathers in challenge to the City. Thinks he is a big shot. Not sure Wade is smart enough to realize that Hugo has the assets to squash him if he wants. And will.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

twobits wrote:Wagstaff/Grizzly are spreading the tail feathers in challenge to the City. Thinks he is a big shot. Not sure Wade is smart enough to realize that Hugo has the assets to squash him if he wants. And will.

I agree with you; as I know Hugo and the weight that he carries (has a lot of friends in this town and could influence a lot of voters this Fall). I would be very careful if I were any council member right now.
ps: doesn't matter what staff reccomends; the wall was built illegally and should come down.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The owner/builder of the wall has background in construction? Then there is no excuse for building something so blatantly outside the boundaries of the permits issued. He's trying to pull a fast one clear and simple. If it was my decision it would be swift and sure, bring the project back into the parameters of the permits issued.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

My thoughts right now however, are a concern of a backroom handshake. Final public knowledge to be revealed with an appropriate time interval.
Wall variance is approved as per Wagstaff request and hockey dorm lawsuit goes away.
Lord, has this Council made me a friggen conspiracy theorist?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fluffy wrote:The owner/builder of the wall has background in construction? Then there is no excuse for building something so blatantly outside the boundaries of the permits issued. He's trying to pull a fast one clear and simple. If it was my decision it would be swift and sure, bring the project back into the parameters of the permits issued.

Fluff, I read and checked a "like" to this post but just re read it and it really made me pause and think for a moment that I should have when I first read it.
Wagstaff/Grizzly is not some out of touch homeowner or under the table contractor hired by said out of touch homeowner for a project. Wagstaff knew this wall was not approved. There is not even wiggle room for him to declare a "But I didn't know....or I thought it was ok".
This was a Wagstaff gauntlet throw down and it could become interesting to see how this unfolds.

The most entertaining outcome would be a City capitulation (deal) and then watch Hugo's lawyers pluck 10k feathers out of Wagstaffs pompous Peacock butt until it was so bare it needs sunscreen.

Chimera

Post by Chimera »

So council has made their decision:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... be-rebuilt

Article states that the wall must be rebuilt but the wall height ultimately remains unchanged? I’m confused? What is the 1.2m height limit for then? Regardless it will still be an eyesore. I wonder what Hugo will do next.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Chimera wrote:So council has made their decision:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... be-rebuilt

Article states that the wall must be rebuilt but the wall height ultimately remains unchanged? I’m confused? What is the 1.2m height limit for then? Regardless it will still be an eyesore. I wonder what Hugo will do next.

basically I think it just changes it to more of a stepped look. each "step" can only be 1.2 metres vs one big solid wall.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The one councillor opposed was Picton. Go figure.
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I think the City made the correct decision to enforce their by-laws although I am surprised it was even a debate. On one hand the City goes full throttle attempting to enforce by-laws for that fellow who panhandles downtown and then has a debate if they should enforce a by-law that was clearly broken by someone who knows better.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

fall wrote:The one councillor opposed was Picton. Go figure.

LOL, what's to figger there? There is simply no fixen stupid.

Return to “South Okanagan”