Brew Pub for Downtown Summerland

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Brew Pub for Downtown Summerland

Post by Anonymous123 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/229613/Brewery-planned-downtown

I have heard that the lease for the Cozy Bay Seafood restaurant has not been renewed. That's lousy for the owners of the restaurant that has been there for decades. Hopefully they will find a better spot and continue on with the great food and service that they are well known for.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
RupertBear
Übergod

Re: Brew Pub for Downtown Summerland

Post by RupertBear »

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/229613/Brewery-planned-downtown

I have heard that the lease for the Cozy Bay Seafood restaurant has not been renewed. That's lousy for the owners of the restaurant that has been there for decades. Hopefully they will find a better spot and continue on with the great food and service that they are well known for.

Unfortunately, from the note they posted on Facebook, it looks like they will be closing shop and not relocating. Too bad. They had good fish and chips.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/229613/Brewery-planned-downtown

I wonder why the lease was not extended for the present business, rather than boot them out and lease to someone else? Wonder if the new Brew Pub offered more money or what? Sounds kinda "Fishy" to me (no pun intended).
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

As I understand it, the rhent was raised on the frame shop first (next door)causing it to close and is now the Roch maple surple place. That's Two. Worries for the u-brew, thrift store, and the other 2nd hand store and the hole in the wall between stores. Why would not the owners of these properties not rent ATB? It's good business for the landlords, not so much for the business owners.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

It's no big loss, IMO. They were only open 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Any restaurant that closes on holidays shouldn't be in business anyway. Too bad they're being replaced by a brew pub though. Summerland could use a good fish and chip joint.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Cactusflower wrote:It's no big loss, IMO. They were only open 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Any restaurant that closes on holidays shouldn't be in business anyway. Too bad they're being replaced by a brew pub though. Summerland could use a good fish and chip joint.

Can't wait to see Cactus Fish and Chips open up then and see you staff an outlet that only has a demand for product for 4 hrs a day. You social activists slay me! No big loss cuz they are only open for 4 hrs but lament that a good fish and chip shop would be desirable.
But only if Cactus can buy the fish and chips and not have to actually pay the bills to provide it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Chewie1969

Post by Chewie1969 »

It frustrates me to no end how no one in this town can handle change in a grown up way. :smt045 Why? Has anyone thought maybe this new business will create more jobs? The food was okay at Cozy, but not overwhelming. I can't wait to see what this new business can offer this sleepy town.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Sleepy little town? More like comatose.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Cactusflower wrote:It's no big loss, IMO. They were only open 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Any restaurant that closes on holidays shouldn't be in business anyway. Too bad they're being replaced by a brew pub though. Summerland could use a good fish and chip joint.

I agree.

After moving here 10 years ago I bought fish and chips there several times, the batter on the fish was so hard my wife just broke it off and ate the fish and she usually really likes fish and chips. We tried it a second time in the event we just got a bad batch, same. A year later gave them another chance, same again. That was it for us.

As a kid I worked at Lumberman's Arch Fish and Chips in Stanley Park, All we served was fish and chips. On a busy Sunday we'd peel, chip and cook a ton of potatoes (20 - 100 lb sacks). Not that hard to cook good fish and chips. Don't know why Cozy Bay couldn't.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote:I agree.

After moving here 10 years ago I bought fish and chips there several times, the batter on the fish was so hard my wife just broke it off and ate the fish and she usually really likes fish and chips. We tried it a second time in the event we just got a bad batch, same. A year later gave them another chance, same again. That was it for us.

So what is it you are agreeing with?? The fish was the chits and a brew pub is great or Summerland needs a better fish shop??
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

twobits wrote:So what is it you are agreeing with?? The fish was the chits and a brew pub is great or Summerland needs a better fish shop??

Well, let's see if we can figure this out.

Cactusflower wrote : "It's no big loss, IMO. They were only open 4 hours a day, 5 days a week. Any restaurant that closes on holidays shouldn't be in business anyway. Too bad they're being replaced by a brew pub though. Summerland could use a good fish and chip joint."

I said "I agree"

So I'm going to go with :
    - I agree that it's no big loss
    - Too bad they're (Cozy Bay) being replaced by a brew pub
    - Summerland could use a good fish and chip joint

That wasn't all that hard, was it ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I attempted to stop there for lunch on the way back from Kelowna on Saturday only to discover they are not open for lunch. Only dinner Tuesday - Sunday.

I also noticed another restaurant on main street recently became vacant and is up for lease and there is no shortages of vacancy in downtown Summerland in general that this fish & chips place could relocate to.

I would speculate this fish and chip store must have had massively cheap rent to make a go of only doing dinners 5 nights a week and not holidays in a place like Summerland. The landlord, facing higher property taxes likely needed to get more rent.

While I am shocked someone would invest to build a downtown brew pub in a place like Summerland I see this as nothing but a gain overall.
Chimera

Post by Chimera »

If I remember correctly, that fish and chip restaurant was closed for several months in a row. Every time I wanted to try it, guess what, it was closed.

Summerland businesses have strange hours. On Sundays it looks like everybody is closed. Go on Monday and a few are still closed! How about everybody be open at the same time everyday so they stop confusing customers? Maybe that might help bring shoppers to Summerland. :200:

Return to “South Okanagan”