Cannabis legalization - ideas

Re: Cannabis legalization - ideas

Postby fluffy » Oct 18th, 2018, 9:43 am

Another "idea" that occurred to me is the number of organized protests against legalization and just what they expect now that recreational use has been declared legal. What kind of argument can one mount against the use of pot when a "villain" like alcohol is still as pervasive in our society as it is now?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

OllyV likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4302 posts

Postby demotto » Oct 18th, 2018, 9:47 am

Getting a pardon for a cannabis conviction will not allow travel to the US. One will need a waiver from the US which is quite expensive to apply for and is no guarantee after submitting and paying that the application for the waiver will be granted.
demotto

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby Giants Head » Oct 18th, 2018, 9:50 am

I heard of an idea last week and I thought it was a good one. Ugrow shops where you could grow your four plants and not do it in your house. Similar to the existing places where you make your own wine or beer. I understand that this is being looked into by existing dispensary owners here in the valley.

rustled likes this post.
Giants Head
Fledgling

Liked in: 23 posts

Postby rustled » Oct 18th, 2018, 10:05 am

That does sound sensible. When people were voicing their concerns about renters growing their own, I thought they were unnecessarily alarmed since it should be no different than growing four houseplants of any large-ish variety. I've been told since that pot is problematic for the long-term aroma and additional moisture required. I suppose this would matter to the person who owns the building used for the Ugrow, too.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 7424 posts

Postby OllyV » Oct 18th, 2018, 1:17 pm

demotto wrote:Getting a pardon for a cannabis conviction will not allow travel to the US. One will need a waiver from the US which is quite expensive to apply for and is no guarantee after submitting and paying that the application for the waiver will be granted.

That hasn't been affected one way or another by legalization.
That has always been the case.
OllyV
Fledgling

Liked in: 102 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 18th, 2018, 4:45 pm

demotto wrote:Getting a pardon for a cannabis conviction will not allow travel to the US. One will need a waiver from the US which is quite expensive to apply for and is no guarantee after submitting and paying that the application for the waiver will be granted.

True. A pardon is good for things within Canada like being bondable and such, but borders are a whole different ball of wax. The US has pretty close to zero tolerance for drug convictions.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4302 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 18th, 2018, 5:17 pm

fluffy wrote:True. A pardon is good for things within Canada like being bondable and such, but borders are a whole different ball of wax. The US has pretty close to zero tolerance for drug convictions.

Upfront, I admit to lack of knowledge here and making an assumption that the suppression of record was the same as an expungement of the record. Suppression will not aid in trans border travel but will improve employment opportunities for people with simple pot possession convictions in Canada. My Bad. Sorry.
I have to wonder why the Libs did not go for expungement as that is what removes any gov't record of conviction??
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3473 posts

Postby Tony » Oct 19th, 2018, 4:34 am

twobits wrote:
Tony wrote: The fact that it is legal as of today, is totally irrelevant to last week, last month, last year, last decade when it WAS illegal. You can't turn time back and erase history.... it's not physically possible. What happened, happened, and no matter how many blind eyes you turn toward it, it's still there.

It seems Tony that you are mistaken. We are going to be able to turn back time.....at least with convictions for simple MJ possession. The Federal Gov't is going to create a fast track and cheap route to remove those criminal records. And they should.
Too many people have been denied employment and International travel because of simple MJ convictions, some decades old, unless they can pony up some 650 bucks and endure the pain of the process.

I stand corrected, shocked, but corrected.
I will state that I don't agree with this, but I will concede to the powers that be....
I just have to hope that the people who were convicted don't get a pardon, and then come after the Government for retribution for being wronged. It wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 356 posts

Previous

Return to South Okanagan