Phooey On Buoys LOL Party At The Buoys!

Re: Phooey On Buoys LOL Party At The Buoys!

Postby Bsuds » Sep 10th, 2018, 8:55 am

Bunnyhop wrote:Does anyone have an email for who to file a complaint to? I looked but couldn’t find one.

Maybe here?

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/programs-632.html
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

Poindexter likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13283 posts

Postby totoramona » Sep 10th, 2018, 11:08 am

Concerns and complaints can be directed to the Vancouver Office of Boating Safety.

Pacific Region (British Columbia)
700-800 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC
V6Z 2J8
Telephone: (604) 666-2681
Email: [email protected]

Poindexter likes this post.
totoramona
Board Meister

Liked in: 284 posts

Postby JagXKR » Sep 10th, 2018, 8:44 pm

Ok so I'm not a boat person so I have a hard time understanding the problem. Are these buoys magically attached to the bottom of the lake? If these are in public waters why can't someone just grab the buoys, pull them out of the water and move them really close to the shore? If I had a boat and was upset about this situation I would go out on my boat with some friends and pull up all the buoys and move them as close to shore as I could.
What exactly could I be charged with? Moving illegally placed buoys? What regulation is there that says I cannot move an illegally placed object? A buoy placed without the appropriate permissions or permits.
I really don't give a hoot as I don't own a boat but I see an easy fix.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1760 posts

Postby Poindexter » Sep 11th, 2018, 6:40 am

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 11th, 2018, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4758 posts

Postby mexi cali » Sep 11th, 2018, 8:32 am

No sympathy for Anthony here but seriously folks, who cares? What is it that you object to? That he has placed buoys too far out on the lake? Is there something on the inside of the buoys that you need to be closer to? It sounds too me like the kid who shows no interest in a toy until the other kid picks it up.

It's a big lake. If the buoys are illegally placed as so many of you contend, they will be removed by the authorities who I am sure know of their existence.

Rich folk do tend to act like they be somehow better than you n me but they are still subject to the laws of the land.

Doubt very much that JT is going to step in on AVMs behalf.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4502 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Sep 11th, 2018, 10:51 am

mexi cali wrote:No sympathy for Anthony here but seriously folks, who cares? What is it that you object to? That he has placed buoys too far out on the lake? Is there something on the inside of the buoys that you need to be closer to? It sounds too me like the kid who shows no interest in a toy until the other kid picks it up.

It's a big lake. If the buoys are illegally placed as so many of you contend, they will be removed by the authorities who I am sure know of their existence.

Rich folk do tend to act like they be somehow better than you n me but they are still subject to the laws of the land.

I think people have been using the bay for years, to hang out in their boat offshore and spend a few hours.

Now that the house is being built, the owner wants the bay to themselves which he doesn't have a right to. Looking on google maps, there's lots of room in the bay and not infringe on the homeowner's privacy.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 562 posts

Postby weedlover » Sep 11th, 2018, 12:39 pm

The reason these self entitled rich jerks put the buoys out there is to try to claim a public bay for themselves. Yes it is a big lake but if you were a boater you would know that these bays are a very desirable spot to drop anchor and hang out and swim etc.. Obviuosly the people in the new house do not want to have to have mere common people in "their" bay. Lots of people on the lake would see these buoys and stay out of the bay because they don't know the buoys are not legal. If they are still there when I go out next spring they will be cut loose

mexi cali wrote:No sympathy for Anthony here but seriously folks, who cares? What is it that you object to? That he has placed buoys too far out on the lake? Is there something on the inside of the buoys that you need to be closer to? It sounds too me like the kid who shows no interest in a toy until the other kid picks it up.

weedlover

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby gman313 » Sep 11th, 2018, 12:51 pm

JagXKR wrote:Ok so I'm not a boat person so I have a hard time understanding the problem. Are these buoys magically attached to the bottom of the lake? If these are in public waters why can't someone just grab the buoys, pull them out of the water and move them really close to the shore? If I had a boat and was upset about this situation I would go out on my boat with some friends and pull up all the buoys and move them as close to shore as I could.
What exactly could I be charged with? Moving illegally placed buoys? What regulation is there that says I cannot move an illegally placed object? A buoy placed without the appropriate permissions or permits.
I really don't give a hoot as I don't own a boat but I see an easy fix.

they are attached by rope/chain to some sort of weight, probably concrete at the bottom so no magic here. But totally agree I would actually pull them out into the lake until they are underwater. The weight should be enough to pull the bouy under....or cut the chain
gman313
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1769 posts

Postby seewood » Sep 11th, 2018, 1:21 pm

gman313 wrote:they are attached by rope/chain to some sort of weight, probably concrete at the bottom so no magic here

yup, likely. anchor, length of chain then rope to the buoy.

gman313 wrote:I would actually pull them out into the lake until they are underwater.

Perhaps not the best idea as the lake level fluctuates and the buoy depending on the depth could be close to the surface. Move to the middle of the lake...over time the rope might rot and up pops the buoy..maybe. Move to middle of lake and drill hole(s) in buoy...gone for good.
Cut the rope and place buoy on beach.
Drill 1/2" hole on bottom and top of buoy so they sink...
This certainly seems a case of entitlement.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1654 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 11th, 2018, 1:48 pm

weedlover wrote:edited for brevity. If they are still there when I go out next spring they will be cut loose

What if they are anchored with steel chain or cable ? If they are there by floating poly rope, doesn't that then create "prop foul hazards " for others ?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4857 posts

Postby featfan » Sep 11th, 2018, 4:01 pm

featfan
Übergod

Liked in: 989 posts

Postby weedlover » Sep 11th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Drill holes in them then

alanjh595 wrote:
weedlover wrote:edited for brevity. If they are still there when I go out next spring they will be cut loose

What if they are anchored with steel chain or cable ? If they are there by floating poly rope, doesn't that then create "prop foul hazards " for others ?
weedlover

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby totoramona » Sep 11th, 2018, 8:36 pm

mexi cali wrote:No sympathy for Anthony here but seriously folks, who cares? What is it that you object to? .

I object to anyone usurping something public for their own personal use. That isn't an act we should tolerate. It isn't lawful and it should be stopped. Okanagan Lake is for everyone's enjoyment.

This property owner obviously thinks he can get away with breaking the rules. I object to that. The rules apply to everyone.

Okanagan Lake would be a lot less enjoyable if every property owner decided to cordon off a large segment of the water in front of their property. What would the shoreline look like then? And hey, maybe you don't even need to own the foreshore.... because land ownership has absolutely zero to do with the lake itself, why not just stick some bouys out there with your name on them anywhere along the shoreline, along the highway, the parks.... a private little place to swim.
Because that's about the same amount of rights this guy has to the water in front of his house. Owning land next to the water does not entitle the person to the water.
I object!

By the way, this story made front page news in the Penticton Herald today. I hope some action is taken on this.
totoramona
Board Meister

Liked in: 284 posts

Postby Poindexter » Sep 12th, 2018, 7:42 am

Pulling the buoy out into deeper water and letting the anchor pull it down is out of the question. Every fisherman who trolls by this spot will end up loosing gear on it making whoever sunk the buoy a bigger jerk than the person who put them there in the first place.

Attempting this could also tear the cleat right off your boat if it didnt swamp it first. Buoy anchors don't have the luxury of the 4:1 rope length to water depth ratio that boat anchors have because you dont want it to be changing locations depending on the wind direction, this means they are typically extremely heavy. I've made a few by mixing cement with beach sand and gravel in thick garbage bag, then threading a chain through rebar set into the concrete. Once set you pull it out from shore using your boat very carefully because if it gets steep enough, it will start rolling down into deeper water, picking up enough inertia to seriously damage or possibly sink your boat once the length of rope reaches the end. Trying to untie it quickly enough after the tension hits won't be fun either so better have a sharp knife ready and brace for the snap back.

Someone was more thoughtful in thier approach, which I appreciated, by recommending drilling some holes. The problem is most buoys have foam injected inside so a hole will not cause it to sink.

Trying to cut the chain isn't going to a breeze either given it will likely have to be done under water unless you intend to pull the heavy buoy into your boat, which may not even be possible unless the water is extremely low.

So the prudent course of action is through a legitimate complaint to the proper authorities, which many have recommended. Thanks to those who did the legwork and posted that information because that is the route I intend to take.

dirtybiker likes this post.
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4758 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Sep 13th, 2018, 9:32 am

There's an article in the Herald about the buoys and it sounds like there's more than a few people annoyed with the property owner.

I'm guessing those buoys will be removed by the appropriate authorities before too long. If not, they'll disappear on their own.

pentona likes this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 562 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan