30 new needle drop box bins!

Re: 30 new needle drop box bins!

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 21st, 2018, 1:08 pm

Junkies don't want to be seen, nor do they want others to know that they are junkies. Anyone that is seen placing a needle in a "sharps" box, will be considered a junkie as well, even if it was just a concerned citizen.
Junkies are very paranoid about others seeing them do their drugs. The more visible these boxes are, the less they will be used.
If you have ever been around a junkie after shooting up, you would know that they don't care about anyone or anything, other than themselves or their "rush/buzz/euphoria" that they are feeling.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4625 posts

Postby soupy » Sep 21st, 2018, 2:11 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Junkies don't want to be seen, nor do they want others to know that they are junkies. Anyone that is seen placing a needle in a "sharps" box, will be considered a junkie as well, even if it was just a concerned citizen.
Junkies are very paranoid about others seeing them do their drugs. The more visible these boxes are, the less they will be used.
If you have ever been around a junkie after shooting up, you would know that they don't care about anyone or anything, other than themselves or their "rush/buzz/euphoria" that they are feeling.

Agree to disagree on this one Alan. (To an extent)

Some of the "junkies" you call them don't care, and never will. But there are actually some that do take pride in ensuring needles are safely disposed of. In fact, some "junkies" are even influences on others to do the right thing when it comes to disposal, I have seen it first hand. I wish they were all like this, but some are better than none.

Also, it is proven these boxes are used, and often they are placed in conspicuous places that are known "hot spots" for users. Intent is to put these boxes in places where they will be used.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 759 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 21st, 2018, 3:05 pm

soupy wrote:Agree to disagree on this one Alan. (To an extent)

Some of the "junkies" you call them don't care, and never will. But there are actually some that do take pride in ensuring needles are safely disposed of. In fact, some "junkies" are even influences on others to do the right thing when it comes to disposal, I have seen it first hand. I wish they were all like this, but some are better than none.

Also, it is proven these boxes are used, and often they are placed in conspicuous places that are known "hot spots" for users. Intent is to put these boxes in places where they will be used.

Okay, I can accept that. I have had very little to do with the "junkie" lifestyle/habits. I never claimed to know very much about it, although I have been a witness to many instantiates and what has happened to the person afterwards.

I stand aside, and allow others with greater knowledge on the subject to proceed.
My point was, that I have seen some pretty nasty things and the subsequent repercussions of IV drug users, it's NOT a pretty sight.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

soupy likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4625 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 21st, 2018, 6:18 pm

Darkre wrote:
One final thought, with marijuana becoming legal it would be a great time to begin charging anyone that caught trafficking the remaining illegal narcotics with 1 count of attempted murder for every dose of narcotic that they are caught with. Especially if it happens to contain fentanyl.

1000 bonus points to you sir! We are in a circle jurk of dealing with the addicted when the focus needs to be on the narcotic dealers. If caught dealing narcotics came with a mandatory 5 yr sentence......it would only be about 12 months before the users of narcotics vacated the prison space and made room for the dealers. We'd have tons of room for them.
We don't need to spend 100's of millions on safe injection sites, housing, and more on junkies......we just needs to spend a bunch of money on housing the drug dealers for some really serious time in a jail cell so that the message gets through that the profits from selling narcotics is not worth a minimum five years in jail. 20 on second conviction. It might be some tough love for junkies going thru withdraw, but if the head of the snake is cut off, the supply, the problem goes away.
There are many examples of countries that do not have this kind of opioid crisis and the housing and property crime that comes with it. The common thread with them is the intolerance to drug traffickers.
Perhaps we need to develop some intolerance to the lowlifes that prey on the vulnerable addicted.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3852 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 9th, 2018, 12:20 pm

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#241537

Needles went into the bins?

Those needles will end up who knows where and who will go after them?

sorry but they could have gone to a pharmacy for legal and SAFE disposal. Heck, I would have done it.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

soupy likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15258 posts

Postby soupy » Nov 9th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-241537-1-.htm#241537

Needles went into the bins?

Those needles will end up who knows where and who will go after them?

sorry but they could have gone to a pharmacy for legal and SAFE disposal. Heck, I would have done it.

Agreed, pretty careless disposal of the Castanet employee.
Obviously had the time / sence to display the contents for a picture and presumably put the contents back in the bag before tossing in the trash.
Needles could have easily been seperated for safe disposal.

Heck, if Castanet does not have their own sharps container and trained staff who can pick up a needle from their sidewalk / business front that is just ridiculous.
Dollar store plyers, Sharps container which are cheap, or free from IH, and they could have done a much better job at this.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 759 posts

Postby Ken7 » Nov 19th, 2018, 5:55 pm

soupy wrote:
Love the idea.
Who is paying for and running these facilities ? Where will they be located ?

If you look at the money we are throwing into the black hole it might be better spent as suggested. Considering medical cost, Emergency response costs, Police costs on B&E, thefts, Assaults etc. Food and housing costs, the list goes on.

Maybe it would help as giving them all they need sure the hell is not.

I also think the reviving them should not be done, sorry.
Ken7
Guru

Liked in: 3088 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 19th, 2018, 8:14 pm

Intravenous injection of drugs is now more common in downtown Penticton than the smoking of cigarettes. The evidence of this is quite clear as there are 30 publicly funded needle disposal boxes and not one single publicly funded ashtray.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3852 posts

Previous

Return to South Okanagan