And what do we all have to say about this one??

And what do we all have to say about this one??

Postby southy » Sep 20th, 2018, 7:47 pm

The kids over at city hall have been at it again. I find it interesting though that the Weeb has been extremely quiet lately, wonder what's up with that? Oh wait … could there be an election in the near future. But fear not for Mr. Haddad will gladly voice his opinion. Have to laugh at the photo connected to this story … there we have the two of them .. Mayor Jak and Judy Judy Judy. Interesting to say the least. Wonder why the rest of council weren't celebrating with them?

Here is story I am talking about: http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... efcb9.html

Wonder how all those businesses in Penticton that are deserving of nominations but were not even contacted feel?

Almost forgot … price tag on this project was only $5,100.00.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 746 posts

Re: And what do we all have to say about this one??

Postby rustled » Sep 21st, 2018, 7:23 am

My take?

A newspaper renowned for manufacturing the news (Enquirer-style) and nurturing outrage in order to support sales, criticizes the city for manufacturing promotional opportunities and nurturing businesses in order to support their community.

Such a rag. I always feel a little grubbier for having read one of their muck-rakes.

Blech.

fluffy likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 7424 posts

Postby southy » Sep 21st, 2018, 7:39 am

Sorry Rustled .. manufacturing the news? Seems to me the story was pretty factual as to the cities involvement. A good touchy feely for those businesses involved, but who made the decision to involve which business? City staff should not be involved this type of activity nor should the city. And don't come back at me saying this is the new norm in marketing … because it's bullcrap. One really has to wonder what exactly goes on in that big white building on Main Street.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby rustled » Sep 21st, 2018, 7:58 am

^^IYO. Which you are quite entitled to, of course, as always.

(No need to apologize, southy. Twas I who wandered into the wrong room. Perhaps discussion is down the hall. :130:)
rustled
Guru

Postby fluffy » Sep 21st, 2018, 9:06 am

Chronic council bashing poster posts about council bashing article in chronic council bashing local scandal sheet. What's to say?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

rustled likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4299 posts

Postby southy » Sep 21st, 2018, 2:47 pm

For you Fluff … only two words and I mean that in the nicest possible way. :biggrin:
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby southy » Sep 21st, 2018, 2:48 pm

rustled wrote:^^IYO. Which you are quite entitled to, of course, as always.

(No need to apologize, southy. Twas I who wandered into the wrong room. Perhaps discussion is down the hall. :130:)

No no Rustled .. it is I who should apologize. The least I could have done is offer you a coffee to take with you. :130:
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby twobits » Sep 21st, 2018, 5:44 pm

rustled wrote:My take?

A newspaper renowned for manufacturing the news (Enquirer-style) and nurturing outrage in order to support sales, criticizes the city for manufacturing promotional opportunities and nurturing businesses in order to support their community.

Such a rag. I always feel a little grubbier for having read one of their muck-rakes.

Blech.

I think most that visit this thread on any kind of regular check in knows exactly what I think about the quality of the Herald and more specifically James.
This news article however is actually different. The information presented was only available after the effort of a "freedom of information" request and it's associated costs. You and fluff might want to ask why the information was not easily obtained by simple question and required an official "freedom of information" request.
Now, having stated what should have been an obvious red flag.......why are neither of you concerned that taxpayer dollars are being used to promote individual private businesses? What City staff decided which businesses to nominate? Was it a committee of staff? Who was on the committee?
If you are so opposed to fake news......why are you supporting the City expenditure of taxpayer dollars on creating fake news?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

southy likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3449 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 21st, 2018, 6:02 pm

It is not my opinion the city manufactured fake news. IMO, this is simply the weird skew the rag put on it to make it newsworthy, and the good folk of Penticton who don't believe that the city should spend money promoting and supporting our business community will of course be quite ready to take offense at the expense.
:138:

As to why it took an FOI: well, it's the PH saying that's what it took. Again, :138: . I wasn't there when they asked their "simple question", and I wouldn't believe a word they said about how much effort they put into getting the information without resorting to an FOI. Or what exactly the FOI was intended to accomplish, other than the obvious: to stir up muck.

IMO, the PH will always find muck. Cuz if they don't find it, they'll make it look like they did. OMG, the City of Penticton spent money. Outrage! Outrage! OMG, the City of Penticton is too stingy. Outrage! Outrage! Every single thing the City of Penticton does or decides not to do is painted a flamboyant shade of red and waved with fervor. Voila! Folk reading their blech see a red flag! Outrage! Outrage! Wolf! Wolf!

For the rest of us, and I mean this most sincerely, :138: .
rustled
Guru

Postby Fancy » Sep 21st, 2018, 6:24 pm

This page is only at 1 - I would suggest a better headline to garner responses.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6695 posts

Postby southy » Sep 21st, 2018, 6:38 pm

What would you suggest Fancy. This is just one more of those … here we go again stories that has happened to often with this mayor and council. Maybe … just maybe intent on this one was good, but they simply didn't look or want to look at the big picture. Why did it take a fOI to obtain this information. City spent $5,100 of public money so they should be up front about that. How is this story being viewed but every other business owner in the city of Penticton? I get tired of people pointing the finger at the media all the time. Without the media in this town the public would not have found out about many important issues that have occurred over the past 48 months. I am also somewhat disappointed in Mr. Haddad's comments. I thought he was beyond these kind of deals, but, obviously not. The only thing missing from this story is more city justification from Peter Weeber.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby southy » Sep 22nd, 2018, 1:09 pm

Speaking of FOI reports … here is one more. Whether you agree or disagree with weather or not this project should have been moved forward, the fact of the matter is council didn't share the entire story on this one. Why must media and individuals go to FOI to obtain what should be public information from the get go. Here is link to story: https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/ne ... -decision/

Mayor Jak, Councillor Judy and Councillor Watt were all involved in this.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby fluffy » Sep 23rd, 2018, 5:52 am

southy wrote:Speaking of FOI reports … here is one more. Whether you agree or disagree with weather or not this project should have been moved forward, the fact of the matter is council didn't share the entire story on this one. Why must media and individuals go to FOI to obtain what should be public information from the get go. Here is link to story: https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/ne ... -decision/

Mayor Jak, Councillor Judy and Councillor Watt were all involved in this.

Again, a non-issue in my mind. It was a bad proposal from the start and council turned it down. Done deal. What possible benefit could have come from making a public statement that BC Housing kept on whining after the decision was made?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby southy » Sep 23rd, 2018, 6:01 am

In a word transparency! Or lack of!
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby fluffy » Sep 23rd, 2018, 6:11 am

I would think that if BC Housing wanted their displeasure widely broadcast they could have have gone to the media themselves. Had council made a statement to the effect that BC Housing wouldn't let go of a done deal the perennial bashers would have been on their case for inappropriately embarrassing the complainers. This was a no-win situation, the best possible course was to let BC Housing have the last word and let it go at that.

PS: I think BC Housing's estimate that the project had 50/50 support falls somewhere between overly optimistic and horse hockey. It has been shown that property crime has spiked in that area since the Hansel & Gretel housing project moved in, I highly doubt that if the area residents were polled that anywhere close to 50% support could have been acheived. And it's their opinions that count, not some bleeding heart in a gated community miles away.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Next

Return to South Okanagan