Summerland's Secret Service

RandyDandy
Fledgling

Summerland's Secret Service

Post by RandyDandy »

On the eve of a $$ praise for Summerland council, it's interesting to note that a population of less than 12K people pays almost 7 million dollars currently for wages and benefits. Not sure really where $2084.00 annually per capita for operational spending fits into that scenario but it sure isn't road repair. Looking forward to candidates responses on financial matters going forward.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Summerland's Secret Service

Post by fluffy »

Municipal politics is serious business, you have to tread very carefully so as not to offend anyone. Take the new rainbow sidewalks for example, you need a committee for each of the six colours, plus an investigative team to insure that potential bidders are appropriately sexually diversified, not to mention a clinical laboratory to check the paint for endangered substances.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Chewie1969

Post by Chewie1969 »

Their spending is comical, and they really have not accomplished anything. Only paid our some high wages for positions that were completely unnecessary. Why??? What have they accomplished?

This Mayor and his Council have spent close to $500,000 on just the Arts council. Why?

One example of many, Council Woman Erin Carlson has committees and sub committees for her environmental issues and the cost and wages spent on this were atrocious. Again nothing accomplished.

Summerland residents don't question the spending? Why? Taxes keep going up.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

fluffy wrote:Municipal politics is serious business, you have to tread very carefully so as not to offend anyone. Take the new rainbow sidewalks for example, you need a committee for each of the six colours, plus an investigative team to insure that potential bidders are appropriately sexually diversified, not to mention a clinical laboratory to check the paint for endangered substances.

yup that about couver's it.............. :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

I'd love to see a new council who would rather save a buck than spend it. $600K for a skateboard park is, to me, an insult to the taxpayers of this town. It matters not that the money came from the "other" pocket...grants are funded from taxes, pure and simple. Giants head trail refurbishment, complete with new signage (up,down). Rainbow crosswalks? Bulletproof police station? Bike path to Trout Creek? And onward to Penticton eventually? How about the new council consider spending money on the NECESSITIES of life rather on the extras we can't afford and maybe actually bring taxes DOWN for a change. Set an example by declining the so recently unearthed possible pay raise. I can see the headlines now! " Summerland Council leads the way to lower taxes by declining pay raise." Way to go, guys and gals! Hometown pride.
Chewie1969

Post by Chewie1969 »

RandyDandy wrote:I'd love to see a new council who would rather save a buck than spend it. $600K for a skateboard park is, to me, an insult to the taxpayers of this town. It matters not that the money came from the "other" pocket...grants are funded from taxes, pure and simple. Giants head trail refurbishment, complete with new signage (up,down). Rainbow crosswalks? Bulletproof police station? Bike path to Trout Creek? And onward to Penticton eventually? How about the new council consider spending money on the NECESSITIES of life rather on the extras we can't afford and maybe actually bring taxes DOWN for a change. Set an example by declining the so recently unearthed possible pay raise. I can see the headlines now! " Summerland Council leads the way to lower taxes by declining pay raise." Way to go, guys and gals! Hometown pride.

I would like to see completely new faces with fresh new ideas. And keep Waterman away from this position Waterman needs to just play golf and stay out of things.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Chewie1969 wrote: Waterman needs to just play golf and stay out of things.

Waterman plays golf?? On land that could potentially grow a Siberian kumquat with proper gov't funding and research? I doubt it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Chewie1969

Post by Chewie1969 »

Waterman plays golf?? On land that could potentially grow a Siberian kumquat with proper gov't funding and research? I doubt it.

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

I thought Toni Boot was the one that wanted to grow the Kumquats and Erin Carlson was going to be the one to organize hire 7 committees and 3 sub committees of that committee to oversee the project. [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

When a tree falls on a mime in the forest, does it make a sound?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

RandyDandy wrote:When a tree falls on a mime in the forest, does it make a sound?

Only if it is seeking re election.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
WKovacs

Post by WKovacs »

Vote for Ron Kubek. https://voteronkubek.com
0gopogo
Fledgling

Post by 0gopogo »

Sigh. Ron Kubec.....Another booze farmer. Just what council needs. :135:
WKovacs

Post by WKovacs »

Judge him on his policy. He’s smart and hard working and focusing on the basics of government.
oldboy

Post by oldboy »

WKovacs wrote:Judge him on his policy. He’s smart and hard working and focusing on the basics of government.

I would sooner have a smart hardworking booze farmer than a one issue cherry farmer!!!
Chewie1969

Post by Chewie1969 »

I would sooner have a smart hardworking booze farmer than a one issue cherry farmer!!!

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement.

Swap out Carlson, Boot,Trainer and Holmes and bring in some actual people who are going to work on council instead of being tapestry in the council office. And fire that CAO, who the hell made her boss? who the heck elected her? it's embarrassing to see the councilman and Mayor in Chambers and have this CAO -who does not live in Summerland btw- make ALL the decisions and control this council and telling them how to do their job constantly. You know it reminds me of a kindergarten classroom and the CAO is the teacher. It's a complete joke.

Return to “South Okanagan”