Neighbours complained and said 'what’s going on here Airbnb

Re: Neighbours complained and said 'what’s going on here Air

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 23rd, 2018, 2:17 pm

Bsuds wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Someone that has the where-for-all to pay $2M for a rental house, also has the intelligence to have adequate insurance in place.

But apparently not the intelligence to follow the bylaws.

Insert "desire" for "intelligence", that works too.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4857 posts

Postby pentona » Sep 23rd, 2018, 2:33 pm

Chewie1969 wrote:The satellite data on Google Maps is typically 3 years old.

The article is one of many. Regardless who is the author. Most voters and tax payers are welcoming the new regulations, but believe more can be done by holding companies like Airbnbs accountable. Why this house was so called targeted because it beds 20 guests PER NIGHT not location. High volume. Avoiding regulations and policies is not fair. Why should they be able to side step the current system?

If the owner does not have a valid permit for his operation from the RDOS, would his insurance also not be void? You would think that the insurance company would want to know and at least see such a permit, before insuring the residence, what kind of operation it is to be used for?

Chewie1969 likes this post.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 633 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 23rd, 2018, 2:44 pm

pentona wrote:If the owner does not have a valid permit for his operation from the RDOS, would his insurance also not be void? You would think that the insurance company would want to know and at least see such a permit, before insuring the residence, what kind of operation it is to be used for?

It would not be a surprise to me if he has not informed his insurance co of the fact he is renting it out. Because of the very rural location his rates would be very high anyway. Who knows he may not even have coverage.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

Carrs Landing Viking likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13283 posts

Postby LTD » Sep 23rd, 2018, 2:48 pm

its not that rural I drive by that place quite often being covered there wouldn't be an issue

Bunnyhop likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 23rd, 2018, 2:49 pm

pentona wrote:If the owner does not have a valid permit for his operation from the RDOS, would his insurance also not be void? You would think that the insurance company would want to know and at least see such a permit, before insuring the residence, what kind of operation it is to be used for?

Was there an insurance policy in place before the change in use? If so, the policy would only have to be renewed.
In the event of a catastrophic loss, was that loss caused and provable by the current usage? Was the loss caused by faulty workmanship?
Lack of permits does not constitute cause of loss.

Does every home renovation done by a homeowner void their policy because there was not a permit taken out?

Jflem1983 likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby pentona » Sep 23rd, 2018, 3:31 pm

Bsuds wrote:
It would not be a surprise to me if he has not informed his insurance co of the fact he is renting it out. Because of the very rural location his rates would be very high anyway. Who knows he may not even have coverage.

I heard of one home in Naramata a few years back that was rented out as a vacation rental and the owner had never advised his insurance company of this useage and the home burned down. Insurance company refused to pay out. Not surprised at all.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 633 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 23rd, 2018, 3:52 pm

LTD wrote:its not that rural I drive by that place quite often being covered there wouldn't be an issue

I'm pretty sure there are no fire hydrants close to the location. I'm not sure what your definition of rural is but we drove past there last week and it's not close to much of anything. By close I mean a more than a couple of kms.

It pretty much fits the definition...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rural_area
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13283 posts

Postby Jflem1983 » Sep 23rd, 2018, 3:55 pm

Who cares if he has insurance. His business. 38 acres. His land. Let him do what he pleases. God I am glad u are not my neighbors
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Jflem1983
Guru

Liked in: 3276 posts

Postby LTD » Sep 23rd, 2018, 4:05 pm

5 min from kaledan 10 min from ok falls 15 from Penticton ya its way out there alright lol. theres no fire hydrants within 10 km of my place we heat with wood and i have insurance and its not that much
I dont think the insurance would be to happy about not being told about it being rented tho

LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 23rd, 2018, 4:49 pm

Chewie1969 wrote:Why this house was so called targeted because it beds 20 guests PER NIGHT not location. High volume. Avoiding regulations and policies is not fair. Why should they be able to side step the current system?

You are getting your shorts in a knot for nothing. It's a house. A big house. And with two bunk beds per bedroom it doesn't take that many bedrooms, a futon in a den and two pull out couches to accommodate up to 20 people per night. It is not 10 queen bed rooms for rent for 10 separate bookings......it is a house that can accommodate a single booking guest with up to 20 people.
If this kind of rental out in the middle of nowhere get's ya all riled up, ya best stay away from the accommodation industry at Apex, Big White, and Silver star. Plenty of Chalet's bragging accommodation for 12 to 24.....as a group.
To you and the RDOS I would ask...."do you not have more important things to occupy your time?"
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby burnedatstake » Sep 23rd, 2018, 4:59 pm

what is appalling to me is the sense of entitlement by the owners and operators. there was signs to cease and desist and they were simply taken down and the lawbreaking has continued. shows 2 things. the owners are sob's. and the district is useless.
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.

Chewie1969 likes this post.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 493 posts

Postby twobits » Sep 23rd, 2018, 5:05 pm

LTD wrote:5 min from kaledan 10 min from ok falls 15 from Penticton ya its way out there alright lol. theres no fire hydrants within 10 km of my place we heat with wood and i have insurance and its not that much
I dont think the insurance would be to happy about not being told about it being rented tho

If you declare you are renting on a short term basis and are in an unprotected fire response area, the Insurance premium required will be demanded.
I did not see any information in the article that said the property was under insured. The property owner would be foolish to do so. All I saw was the RDOS looking for permit fee's and suggested improvements done without a building permit. If everyone were denied insurance on a catastrophic loss because of a reno without a money grabbing permit, not many people would have insurance coverage. Worst case scenario is a denial of value for the non permitted work improvements.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby twobits » Sep 23rd, 2018, 5:20 pm

burnedatstake wrote:what is appalling to me is the sense of entitlement by the owners and operators. there was signs to cease and desist and they were simply taken down and the lawbreaking has continued. shows 2 things. the owners are sob's. and the district is useless.

And what is shocking to me is how many people give a chit about this big house being rented out!! The only reason people like you are suddenly concerned about it is because some rich fck owns it and you hate rich fck's. If it where a 500k house on 50 acres no one would give a poop about the extra bedroom and airbnb rental.

3 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby burnedatstake » Sep 23rd, 2018, 5:27 pm

twobits wrote:And what is shocking to me is how many people give a chit about this big house being rented out!! The only reason people like you are suddenly concerned about it is because some rich fck owns it and you hate rich fck's. If it where a 500k house on 50 acres no one would give a poop about the extra bedroom and airbnb rental

maybe we should be like the french eons ago and just get rid of all of the bourgeois
the capitalist idea of liberty is that one persons right to profit can be greater than another persons right to live.
burnedatstake
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 493 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 23rd, 2018, 5:41 pm

burnedatstake wrote:what is appalling to me is the sense of entitlement by the owners and operators. there was signs to cease and desist and they were simply taken down and the lawbreaking has continued. shows 2 things. the owners are sob's. and the district is useless.

You have no proof or evidence to support your inflammatory accusations or opinion.

WOW......drama queen.....or what ?

Jflem1983 likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan