How do these accidents happen?

How do these accidents happen?

Postby southy » Sep 27th, 2018, 2:23 pm

Ok … another one https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#237708. These seem to be happening more and more is it an age issue, medical distress, swerved to missed a duck .. I just don't understand it. I know we've been around the block and back on this one but I shake my head because one of these times it is going to be very serious. In this case driver of the vehicle involved could have easily hit a number of pedestrians.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 757 posts

Re: How do these accidents happen?

Postby CapitalB » Sep 27th, 2018, 2:28 pm

Most of the ones I've seen have been accidentally hitting the gas instead of the brake by someone who uses both feet to drive because of slow leg mobility.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 555 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 27th, 2018, 2:35 pm

No mention of the age of this person, or who was at fault.
Crash on Glenmore Rd.

A collision has slowed traffic on Glenmore Road North Thursday afternoon.
A collision on Glenmore Road North appears to have caused traffic delays north of Kelowna.

Photos from a witness in the area show at least two vehicles involved, north of the McKinley Landing area.

Construction is ongoing in the area, and the road has been reduced to single-lane, alternating traffic this week while blasting is conducted for the access to a new subdivision.

A witness south of the crash scene saw two ambulances and at least six RCMP cruisers heading north along Glenmore Road North.

The nature of the crash is unclear at this time, as is the severity of any injuries suffered by those involved.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... lenmore-Rd
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 3819 posts

Postby fluffy » Sep 29th, 2018, 4:26 am

A few minutes of google time will show that young drivers cause the most accidents, although injuries are generally more serious with older drivers due to the frailty that often accompanies advanced age.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4302 posts

Postby Poindexter » Sep 29th, 2018, 5:30 am

Anyone else take exception to the article's obvious racial profiling calling the vehicle "white"? :biggrin:
Poindexter
Guru

Liked in: 4534 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Sep 29th, 2018, 7:18 am

A little more investigation will show you the age of the driver. I'll highlight the section in the article.

A woman involved in the multi-vehicle collision on Glenmore Road North says she was hit head-on by an oncoming driver as she sat stopped at the construction zone.

Eight vehicles were reportedly hit by the oncoming driver, who reportedly side-swiped several vehicles before hitting the last vehicle head-on.

The woman involved who reached out to Castanet was taken to hospital by ambulance. It's unclear how many people were injured.

Another witness who was waiting in the construction lineup said: "it looked like a wave of car accidents coming towards me."

"The older, 80 maybe, woman in a grey Jeep was said to be weaving all over the road and sped up when she came to the construction zone, hitting seven cars and a motorcycle," the witness said.

The driver of the Jeep, as well as a woman in a red car, were reportedly removed from their car with the Jaws of Life.

Glenmore Road remains closed at the crash site.
We See
We Judge
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1427 posts

Postby GordonH » Sep 30th, 2018, 1:02 am

I will suspect that in a majority of these type of accidents the driver is using both feet to drive, which is a big no no.

There is only 1 type of vehicle were both feet is needed and that is one with a standard transmission, in this case left foot should only be used on the clutch pedal (this includes right hand drive vehicle, since pedal layout is the same).

Clutch pedal/Brake pedal/Accelerator pedal (Standard Transmission)
Brake pedal/Accelerator pedal (Automatic Transmission)
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8116 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby twobits » Sep 30th, 2018, 6:50 pm

GordonH wrote:I will suspect that in a majority of these type of accidents the driver is using both feet to drive, which is a big no no.

There is only 1 type of vehicle were both feet is needed and that is one with a standard transmission, in this case left foot should only be used on the clutch pedal (this includes right hand drive vehicle, since pedal layout is the same).

Clutch pedal/Brake pedal/Accelerator pedal (Standard Transmission)
Brake pedal/Accelerator pedal (Automatic Transmission)

And what would be the solution to get two foot drivers off the road? I agree with you as I know my old man drove that way. He never had a crash fortunately, but how does one stop it short of a required crotch camera built into the seat recording where the feet where at point of impact.
Maybe a back facing cam on every rear view mirror to catch make up applications, hair doo primp and fluff, Latte spills, Breakfast sandwich chin dribbles, Music song change, dog scold, child scold, idiot driver that cut you off scold, cigarette search and light, note review for the 9am meeting that should have been done at 9pm.
Bottom line is we cannot make nearly enough rules to get stupid from behind the wheel. We just need one rule,and we already have it. Distracted driving.
And when our police personnel start busting people with a dog in their lap, a sandwich in their face, a mascara brush in their hand, scolding a child sitting behind them and look at them while at the wheel......people might start to understand what distracted driving really is.
We seem to be so focusing on the "smart phone" and driving. Everything else seems to get a pass.
IMO, we need a comprehensive review of the definition of distracted driving. And just for giggles I will open that discussion to say that holding a phone in one hand while driving an automatic transmission vehicle is no less safe than having a conversation with another person in the same vehicle.
Manually sending a text or reading a text while driving, whole new ballgame. So why are these activities considered the same? We really need a new and well defined definition of distracted driving that is logical and not populist fear based.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

johnhodgson likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3473 posts

Postby Tony » Oct 1st, 2018, 4:29 am

I believe that distracted driving has always been illegal. It just hasn't been so prevalent since the onslaught of cell phones. I was in Langley last week, and on my way down a young lady pulled in behind me and she drove a solid 20k while doing her hair and make up. Blew me away.... she was completely oblivious as to how dangerous that was.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 356 posts

Postby smoky500 » Oct 2nd, 2018, 9:45 am

disagree with the two foot driver comment, if a person is using two feet, they only use the right foot for gas and left foot for brake, if they are planning on braking they would be accustomed to using the left foot. More likely that a one foot driver, who uses their right foot for braking, would accidentally press the gas pedal when they are trying to brake.
smoky500
Fledgling

Liked in: 51 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 2nd, 2018, 10:26 am

smoky500 wrote:disagree with the two foot driver comment, if a person is using two feet, they only use the right foot for gas and left foot for brake, if they are planning on braking they would be accustomed to using the left foot. More likely that a one foot driver, who uses their right foot for braking, would accidentally press the gas pedal when they are trying to brake.

If a driver doesn't know which pedal there own foot is on, then that driver needs to give up their D/L immediately and use public transit.
This is basic driving 101.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.

seewood likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8116 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby smoky500 » Oct 2nd, 2018, 12:08 pm

have to agree with that [icon_lol2.gif]
smoky500
Fledgling

Postby southy » Oct 2nd, 2018, 12:53 pm

Further to Twobits post about the variables of distracted driving. One only has to drive anywhere in Penticton to witness these offenses, yet, how often do you see the RCMP actually pulling anyone over? Monday evening driving south on Government around 7:30pm … a black older model VW Jetta in front of me. I see him swerving over into the other lane and assume he had been drinking. His head is also looking down so wasn't sure what was going on, could have been a medical issue for all I knew. Then this guy then slows down to 15k foot on the brake almost coming to a stop in the middle of the road. I have to stop, vehicles behind me have to stop … I had enough pulled up beside him by IGA in the left turn lane and this idiot was on his phone texting … texting with his head down and vehicle stopped. Oblivious to what was going on behind him and probably in front of him. I yelled at him to put it away as his window was down and I got a quick FU as he sped off and turned down a side street. So I suppose I could have gotten his license plate # and called the police, but then I think yea what are they really going to do. So tell me, is it worth calling the police? Do yo think they will actually follow-up? I'm not so sure. Which begs the question … how do we get AH's off the road?

XT225 likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 757 posts

Postby smoky500 » Oct 4th, 2018, 10:57 am

"these" are not really accidents. If you are driving down the road and your wheel falls off, or a steering component breaks, and you end up running off the road and crashing, that is an accident. Distracted driving is pure negligence and need to be treated as such. Completely avoidable.

2 people like this post.
smoky500
Fledgling

Postby seewood » Oct 4th, 2018, 1:51 pm

GordonH wrote:I will suspect that in a majority of these type of accidents the driver is using both feet to drive, which is a big no no.

I wouldn't be surprised.
I see on a regular basis while driving side roads, vehicles going up hill with the brake light on...

I agree regarding using two feet with an auto tranny. Bad habit.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

johnhodgson likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1359 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan