Mayoral Debate

Re: Mayoral Debate

Postby twobits » Oct 14th, 2018, 6:01 pm

fluffy wrote: plus I think that if he (Cox) did gain office he would have a rude awakening on just how hard it is to deal with an electorate as sharply divided as Penticton's.

And who divided that public fluffy for someone else to inherit?? Jak's arse was in the big chair while he signed the deal with hundreds outside the window protesting.
And now, Jak is reborn. Like a religious moment happened. Biggest regret he has. He has been reformed.
More like he is trying desperately trying to salvage his paycheck as it would appear from public bankruptcy information he has little to fall back on.
Have we forgotten that our current Mayor, at the head of a 100 million dollar civic budget, has some very serious and questionable personal financial decision making abilities that should set off some alarm bells with regards to budgeting, finance, and general business knowledge?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3735 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 14th, 2018, 9:49 pm

twobits wrote:And who divided that public fluffy for someone else to inherit??

Good question. Do you think that it's just coincidence that a couple of the biggest noise makers in the Skaha Park Anti-Waterslides debates are on the ballot this time around? Call me cynical but I do recall raising the "political opportunist" spectre back then.

You talk as if divisiveness is something new in Penticton, it's not. It's just the way things are here. The "Let's keep things nice and quiet" camp vs. the "Let's have a little fun" camp have been at odds for decades. This goes back to when our reputation as a family holiday/agricultural community started to slip away around fifty years back. You can't dump it all in Jak's lap as if he invented it.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

2 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4349 posts

Postby southy » Oct 15th, 2018, 5:41 pm

No … but he did a pretty damn good job of RE-INVENTING IT!
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 849 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 15th, 2018, 6:36 pm

fluffy wrote:Good question. Do you think that it's just coincidence that a couple of the biggest noise makers in the Skaha Park Anti-Waterslides debates are on the ballot this time around?

Don't think it's a coincidence......actually think it is pretty obvious. They are both trying to leverage that public recognition. One has no hope in hades, the other is a dotting old man that I have recently acknowledged needs pasture time same as Vaz but might actually get elected.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby Darkre » Oct 18th, 2018, 8:53 pm

Reports on Facebook that Vasaliki was shaking hands in the lineup at the polling station today and at least one complaint has been filed. Hope it isn’t true. An experienced politician like Vasaliki should know better.
Darkre
Board Meister

Liked in: 85 posts

Postby pentona » Oct 18th, 2018, 9:09 pm

Darkre wrote:Reports on Facebook that Vasaliki was shaking hands in the lineup at the polling station today and at least one complaint has been filed. Hope it isn’t true. An experienced politician like Vasaliki should know better.

Not sure that could be considered a violation of the Elections act unless he was actively telling people to please vote for me or handing out brochures, etc. He may have been just shaking a few hands of friends that he knows. Everyone knows how Facebook posts can get right out of hand, quickly.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 573 posts

Postby Darkre » Oct 19th, 2018, 1:54 pm

"Mainstreeting" which includes greeting supporters in it's definition is not allowed within 100m of a polling station.
Darkre
Board Meister

Postby pentona » Oct 19th, 2018, 2:46 pm

Darkre wrote:"Mainstreeting" which includes greeting supporters in it's definition is not allowed within 100m of a polling station.

I still don't quite agree with you on this one. I wasn't there to witness exactly what John was saying or doing. If he was just leaving, after voting and saw a few friends in the lineups and shook their hands, (and didn't specifically say "please vote for me"), I doubt there is any thing wrong with that.

If you know of a rule in print that says otherwise, please show us the link.

twobits likes this post.
pentona
Übergod

Postby Darkre » Oct 20th, 2018, 6:57 am

pentona wrote:
Darkre wrote:"Mainstreeting" which includes greeting supporters in it's definition is not allowed within 100m of a polling station.

I still don't quite agree with you on this one. I wasn't there to witness exactly what John was saying or doing. If he was just leaving, after voting and saw a few friends in the lineups and shook their hands, (and didn't specifically say "please vote for me"), I doubt there is any thing wrong with that.

If you know of a rule in print that says otherwise, please show us the link.

Page 26 here https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/british-columbians-our-governments/local-governments/governance-powers/candidates_guide_to_local_elections.pdf

Campaigning Near a Voting Place
It is an election offence to campaign and engage in other activities that show support for one candidate over another, or for an elector organization, within 100 metres of a voting place.

Local Election Penalties
Vote-buying, accepting an inducement to vote or intimidating an elector to vote for a particular candidate may result in penalties including fines of up to $10,000, imprisonment for up to two years and/or disqualification from holding elected office in a local government for up to seven years.

Individuals and/or elector organization representatives (e.g. the financial agent) may be subject to penalties that include fines of up to $5,000 and/or imprisonment for up to one year if they are convicted of:
• advertising on general voting day;
• falsely withdrawing a candidate or an endorsement;
• fraudulently voting;
• interfering with ballots or ballot boxes;
• canvassing, advertising or otherwise visibly supporting a candidate within
100 metres of a voting place on voting days; or,
• conducting any other activity contrary to the Local Government Act.

Shaking hands with a candidate would be considered visibly supporting a candidate. Whether you support the candidate or are just friendly enough to shake their hand, the perception given is support for the candidate. This is illegal within 100m of a polling station

Also from this link under General Voting Day Rules https://elections.bc.ca/political-participants/local-elections-campaign-financing/local-elections-faqs/ you will see that "mainstreeting" is illegal within 100M of a polling station. Mainstreeting is defined as: "the practice of a politician walking about the streets of a town or city to gain votes and greet supporters". The only problem with this link is it states General Voting Day, when this specific act actually applies to any polling day.

Greeting supporters within 100m of a polling station is illegal. Shaking hands in the lineup of a polling station, even of friends, is therefore illegal.
Darkre
Board Meister

Postby pentona » Oct 20th, 2018, 9:59 am

Darkre wrote:Greeting supporters within 100m of a polling station is illegal. Shaking hands in the lineup of a polling station, even of friends, is therefore illegal.

I still don't agree with you on this one. I wasn't there to witness exactly what John was saying or doing. If he was just leaving, after voting and saw a few friends in the lineups and shook their hands, (and didn't specifically say "please vote for me" or "thanks for your vote"), I doubt there is any thing wrong with that. If that is not allowed by some ancient rule then it needs to change.

I would be insulted if one of the mayor candidates that I know well, happened to pass by me in the lineup and "ignored" me intentionally because they weren't allowed to acknowledge knowing me. I would be extremely surprised if anyone lodges an official complaint over what John may or may not have done. That goes for all candidates.
pentona
Übergod

Postby Darkre » Oct 20th, 2018, 10:32 am

Sorry Pentona, Rules are Rules.

The rules clearly state that there can be no campaigning and that you can not show support of any kind for a candidate within 100m of a polling station. Candidates getting out and shaking hands is one of the most basic forms of campaigning whether the candidate says vote for me or not. Shaking hands with your friend would also indicate support for that individual.

As proof, there was an investigation earlier this week in Williams Lake where someone complained that a candidate was present at a polling station.

While neither one of us were there, the person who posted on Facebook claims to have filed a complaint and that they weren’t the only ones upset. I tend to believe an eyewitness over guessing based on personal beliefs. Unfortunately Facebook being Facebook I can’t find the post right now.
Darkre
Board Meister

Postby pentona » Oct 20th, 2018, 11:39 am

Darkre wrote:Sorry Pentona, Rules are Rules.

The rules clearly state that there can be no campaigning and that you can not show support of any kind for a candidate within 100m of a polling station. Candidates getting out and shaking hands is one of the most basic forms of campaigning whether the candidate says vote for me or not. Shaking hands with your friend would also indicate support for that individual.

As proof, there was an investigation earlier this week in Williams Lake where someone complained that a candidate was present at a polling station.

While neither one of us were there, the person who posted on Facebook claims to have filed a complaint and that they weren’t the only ones upset. I tend to believe an eyewitness over guessing based on personal beliefs. Unfortunately Facebook being Facebook I can’t find the post right now.

Ok, no problem; understood. Sounds like a rule that needs to be eliminated (to some degree). Wonder how John V. is going to be mayor when he will soon have a criminal record (according to those rules). LOL
pentona
Übergod

Postby Darkre » Oct 20th, 2018, 12:24 pm

pentona wrote:Ok, no problem; understood. Sounds like a rule that needs to be eliminated (to some degree). Wonder how John V. is going to be mayor when he will soon have a criminal record (according to those rules). LOL

Actually the easiest way would be to prevent all candidates from voting at general voting locations or being within 100m on voting days.

Something like candidates for political office may only vote via:
A) mail in ballot
B) at a special, candidates only, polling station the evening before advance polls open.

You could get all the candidates to pose for a group photo with their blank voting forms then use the photo in media releases to remind the public of where and when they can vote.
Darkre
Board Meister

Postby Chessman » Oct 20th, 2018, 4:51 pm

Darkre.....while I am in no way a supporter of Vas, your solution does sound a bit unworkable. They could just be asked to vote an hour prior to the official opening of a designated advance polling station if you are that worried about undo influencing.
Perhaps the 100 metre restraining order rule should be left to other more important issues...just saying .
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.

southy likes this post.
Chessman

Liked in: 32 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 20th, 2018, 7:08 pm

And this is just a discussion about squat. How sad have we become when a person who put's their name forward to run for election, must wear a Burka when they go to vote at their designated polling station.

twobits
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan