Illegal treehouse?

Illegal treehouse?

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:32 am

This is ridiculous. RDOS has way too much time on their hands if they’re going after a building permit for a treehouse

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... crosshairs

OllyV likes this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 546 posts

Re: Illegal treehouse?

Postby TreeGuy » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:41 am

This isn't some little fort built by kids. If they had built it under or to the 10 meters square rule then they wouldn't be having an issue with it. Given the size of it and the fact that it is suspended off the ground I can see the concern for liability by the Regional District.

The lesson, be familiar with the rules and play by them. Why should these people get special treatment?

Bsuds likes this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 3635 posts

Postby soupy » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:42 am

Bunnyhop wrote:This is ridiculous. RDOS has way too much time on their hands if they’re going after a building permit for a treehouse

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... crosshairs

Agree and disagree.

If they choose not to enforce the rules for this Treehouse, then they will have to start ignoring them for other structures. Large sheds / garages will start being built. "well you didn't enforce the rules before, why now?" - says everyone afterwards

What should be done, is the RDOS should create a permit process for Treehouses. Ones that are FREE, but have information set out so a tree house could be constructed safely.

Tony likes this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 700 posts

Postby Fancy » Oct 17th, 2018, 11:43 am

Probably a complaint made? This might clarify a few points:

https://www.penticton.ca/EN/meta/city-n ... afety.html
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7557 posts

Postby JagXKR » Oct 17th, 2018, 12:14 pm

They could also choose to place a "notice on title," which will advise the current and future property owners of the issue and protect the RDOS from liability related to the structure.

I like this outcome. Hopefully they choose it.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

twobits likes this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1543 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 17th, 2018, 6:16 pm

TreeGuy wrote:This isn't some little fort built by kids. If they had built it under or to the 10 meters square rule then they wouldn't be having an issue with it. Given the size of it and the fact that it is suspended off the ground I can see the concern for liability by the Regional District.

The lesson, be familiar with the rules and play by them. Why should these people get special treatment?

Ya missed the four corners of concrete sono tube supporting the tree house.
I have to agree with another poster and hope they just put notice on the title to absolve RDOS from potential liability. This is not an illegal garage or carriage house. No need to make it a Paul Braun argument.
They built a funky place for their kids to be kids rather than be consumed by an xbox. I wish more parents would make such an "illegal" effort.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

7 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3793 posts

Postby GordonH » Oct 17th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Rental income :laugh:
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8731 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby seewood » Oct 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm

GordonH wrote:Rental income

Likely luxurious compared to the closets rented out in Whistler...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1512 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 17th, 2018, 7:19 pm

twobits wrote:
TreeGuy wrote:This isn't some little fort built by kids. If they had built it under or to the 10 meters square rule then they wouldn't be having an issue with it. Given the size of it and the fact that it is suspended off the ground I can see the concern for liability by the Regional District.

Ya missed the four corners of concrete sono tube supporting the tree house.
I have to agree with another poster and hope they just put notice on the title to absolve RDOS from potential liability. This is not an illegal garage or carriage house. No need to make it a Paul Braun argument.
They built a funky place for their kids to be kids rather than be consumed by an xbox. I wish more parents would make such an "illegal" effort.

That was pretty much my point. Thanks for “getting it” twobits.

We are so inundated with rules, rules, rules that its impossible not to break a rule or two no matter what you do.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 546 posts

Return to South Okanagan