Outcry over logging....... Where were the volunteers?

Outcry over logging....... Where were the volunteers?

Postby farmers daughter » Oct 23rd, 2018, 11:08 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/239925/Outcry-over-planned-logging

So now everyone is crying about the proposed logging. This is why we have volunteer groups to help manage areas. So, when you are out snowmobiling, thank your local snowmobile club who is working on your behalf to keep the area open. Same goes for cross country ski clubs, mountain bike clubs, etc. Without people stepping up and volunteering, this is what happens. Best suck it up people. You had your chance to have a say. You blew it.
farmers daughter

Liked in: 1 post

Re: Outcry over logging....... Where were the volunteers?

Postby seewood » Oct 23rd, 2018, 8:39 pm

One thing about logging here is there will be replanting and the forest will come back.
Unlike harvesting for ski runs.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1439 posts

Postby GEW » Nov 19th, 2018, 10:04 pm

Haven't these protesters heard, that the 90s are over?? We protest pipelines now not logging anymore. :biggrin: [icon_lol2.gif]
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.

OKkayak likes this post.
GEW
Fledgling

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 20th, 2018, 7:04 pm

Not saying I want to see this logging go ahead but do have to point out the obvious irony that these "trails" that exist for these cross country skiers are roads and skidder trails from previous logging activities.
So now the very industry that made the recreational activity even possible in the area, should be banished from further activity in the area as well as the very good jobs from harvesting, truck transport, and sawmill employee's that depend on that fiber to buy groceries and pay the mortgage.
Like I said, not saying I want to see logging in this area. Just saying there might be more to consider here other than a knee jerk alarmist response when the trails that already exists will still be there and in a few short years, the km's of trails will be greatly increased.
BC's back country public access is on the backs of and the investment of our logging industry. It's time some of the ungrateful back country users realized that. The Carmi/Beaverdel road and the entire 201 would not exist if not for the logging industry.
Be a little thankful for the access to lands you can admire and recreate on because without the logging industry, no one would make it even 1 km uphill outside of City limits without walking.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

3 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3659 posts

Postby countmeout » Nov 20th, 2018, 8:42 pm

twobits wrote:Be a little thankful for the access to lands you can admire and recreate on because without the logging industry, no one would make it even 1 km uphill outside of City limits without walking.

Sounds like a challenge for my horse and I ;)
Could also try on a dirtbike or quad, seen them go almost anywhere.
countmeout
Board Meister

Liked in: 369 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Nov 21st, 2018, 11:50 am

twobits wrote:Not saying I want to see this logging go ahead but do have to point out the obvious irony that these "trails" that exist for these cross country skiers are roads and skidder trails from previous logging activities.
So now the very industry that made the recreational activity even possible in the area, should be banished from further activity in the area as well as the very good jobs from harvesting, truck transport, and sawmill employee's that depend on that fiber to buy groceries and pay the mortgage.
Like I said, not saying I want to see logging in this area. Just saying there might be more to consider here other than a knee jerk alarmist response when the trails that already exists will still be there and in a few short years, the km's of trails will be greatly increased.
BC's back country public access is on the backs of and the investment of our logging industry. It's time some of the ungrateful back country users realized that. The Carmi/Beaverdel road and the entire 201 would not exist if not for the logging industry.
Be a little thankful for the access to lands you can admire and recreate on because without the logging industry, no one would make it even 1 km uphill outside of City limits without walking.

Twobits, it’s my understanding that the trails were created and maintained by a group of volunteers with the approval and cooperation of the provincial government. There is a logged block and an old logging road as part of the trail system but it’s not used that I’ve ever seen. The problem with this proposal is that the recreational trails will be destroyed by being turned into logging roads. This is a very well used recreational area close to town so easy access for everyone from families to seniors to enjoy. It’s good clean fun for lots of people, which must have some value vs the value of the proposed logging.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 534 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 21st, 2018, 6:25 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:Twobits, it’s my understanding that the trails were created and maintained by a group of volunteers with the approval and cooperation of the provincial government. There is a logged block and an old logging road as part of the trail system but it’s not used that I’ve ever seen. The problem with this proposal is that the recreational trails will be destroyed by being turned into logging roads. This is a very well used recreational area close to town so easy access for everyone from families to seniors to enjoy. It’s good clean fun for lots of people, which must have some value vs the value of the proposed logging.

Sorry Bunny, the original trails were not created by any group of volunteers. They may have been "maintained" by a "group" as in the cutting of windfall across the trail, but they had no part in creating the original trail. Heavy equipment did and it was because of logging activity.
Some of the oldest access to the bush in the upper Carmi to Beaverdel to Big White was created by logging activity for Douglas Fir to make railway ties and trestle timbers for the construction of the KVR.
Logging opened the back country to recreation. It is just a little sanctimonious to suggest now that they are the bad folks.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3659 posts

Return to South Okanagan