Lines on Highway

Tony
Übergod

Lines on Highway

Post by Tony »

This is more of a curiosity question. I noticed the other day that Argo was painting a bunch of lines across the highway up by the entrance to Sage Mesa.... basically, (for you Penticton old timers) out at the old Visitors Info booth, which isn't there anymore.

Are they just testing a bunch of paint to see which one holds up the best, or are the lines supposed to mean something?

I'd appreciate what ever info anyone has.

soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Lines on Highway

Post by soupy »

Tony wrote:This is more of a curiosity question. I noticed the other day that Argo was painting a bunch of lines across the highway up by the entrance to Sage Mesa.... basically, (for you Penticton old timers) out at the old Visitors Info booth, which isn't there anymore.

Are they just testing a bunch of paint to see which one holds up the best, or are the lines supposed to mean something?

I'd appreciate what ever info anyone has.

Noticed yesterday they were putting up a sign a few hundred meters in front of the lines that was to explain what they were.
Sign wasnt fully uncovered or placed last time i drove by.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Thanks Soupy... I haven't been North in a few days. I'll keep my eyes peeled.
:up:
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Tony … I suspect those lines were painted to remind drivers heading south that they are approaching an intersection and should be aware. I suspect the sign will advise of the intersection. Could be something else, but I think that's what it is. Seems to me there have been a number of serious accidents there.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Over last couple of years I've noticed the line painters for the CoK must be drinking on the job, they are some of most wavy traffic lines I've ever seen.

next time you are on Richter, check out the lines between Sutherland & Cadder.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

southy wrote:Tony … I suspect those lines were painted to remind drivers heading south that they are approaching an intersection and should be aware. I suspect the sign will advise of the intersection. Could be something else, but I think that's what it is. Seems to me there have been a number of serious accidents there.

I dont know about that re: the approaching intersection.

The lines on the hwy are rather strange, (not something ive seen before at least).
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

soupy wrote:
southy wrote:Tony … I suspect those lines were painted to remind drivers heading south that they are approaching an intersection and should be aware. I suspect the sign will advise of the intersection. Could be something else, but I think that's what it is. Seems to me there have been a number of serious accidents there.

I dont know about that re: the approaching intersection.

The lines on the hwy are rather strange, (not something ive seen before at least).

I have to agree Soupy... the traffic lights and flashing yellow lights when the traffic light is red give plenty of warning. It's like the Connector up by the Highway 5 (Princeton) Junction as Aspen Grove. They painted some wide white lines all the way around the corner.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Tony wrote:
I have to agree Soupy... the traffic lights and flashing yellow lights when the traffic light is red give plenty of warning. It's like the Connector up by the Highway 5 (Princeton) Junction as Aspen Grove. They painted some wide white lines all the way around the corner.

I have a couple co-workers who drive that route daily. Ill ask tomorrow if they notice anything.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

It's a crosswalk for cats with gender issues but only from the west side.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

RandyDandy wrote:It's a crosswalk for cats with gender issues but only from the west side.

Totally makes sense.....

Are they building a horse crosswalk as well, as the wildies are headed back down...... :biggrin:
civil

Post by civil »

Drove past last night. There's a sign before it that says the Ministry of Transportation is testing line painting.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

civil wrote:Drove past last night. There's a sign before it that says the Ministry of Transportation is testing line painting.

Drove by about an hour ago myself and saw that.

Test out the paint to see which compounds will hold up best. Makes sense to me !
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

civil wrote:There's a sign before it that says the Ministry of Transportation is testing line painting.

I can see that. Good idea since the paint currently used for line painting does not stand up compared to paint in the past. I read some time ago when the VOC component of paint was reduced, the new stuff did not stand up like the original.
I noticed on several occasions paint on roads disappearing/wearing out/fading after 2-3 years.

Hope the chemists have a good solution.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

The lines could last longer if motorists had the wherewithal to not be driving
on them.

Obviously this does not apply to Stop and Crosswalk painting.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

dirtybiker wrote:The lines could last longer if motorists had the wherewithal to not be driving
on them.

Obviously this does not apply to Stop and Crosswalk painting.

Yes, when i change lanes i will be sure to pick the perfect timing that my tires do not touch the white lines seperating the lanes

Return to “South Okanagan”