PIB Superpark

PIB Superpark

Postby Bunnyhop » Oct 26th, 2018, 7:28 am

Any guesses where this might end up? The old game farm site seems the logical choice to me.

Very cool endeavour and I look forward to seeing it come together.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... super-park

2 people like this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 534 posts

Re: PIB Superpark

Postby fluffy » Oct 26th, 2018, 8:08 am

This proposal has my attention as well. Penticton has lost most of the "family appeal" that our tourist industry thrived on for years, opting for the bigger money available from the young adult and senior markets. Granted the aim of business is to make money and the family market doesn't spend at the same rate as the other two demographics, but with the loss of the family friendly reputation we have alienated a portion of the market that had an impact on the way we are viewed by potential tourists. Osoyoos has become the destination of choice for families in the Okanagan.

A point that slipped by most in the Skaha Park/Waterslides debate is that summer-only businesses face the challenge of making their nut for the entire year in the three or four months of high traffic/mild weather summer period, but therir overall effect on the tourist trade is significant. I am assuming that the PIB is offering some sort of sweetheart deal as far as land cost goes, that in itself can make the difference when it comes to turning a profit. There is little doubt in my mind that this sort of operation would be a benefit to the local economy as a whole, not just the PIB. I will watch the progress of this with great interest.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

rustled likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4332 posts

Postby rustled » Oct 26th, 2018, 9:11 am

Good on them! They may also be able to offer some shoulder season activities around hiking, biking etc. (and even winter activities with shuttle service to Apex) to stretch out the season.

fluffy likes this post.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 8260 posts

Postby soupy » Oct 26th, 2018, 9:21 am

Bunnyhop wrote:Any guesses where this might end up? The old game farm site seems the logical choice to me.

Very cool endeavour and I look forward to seeing it come together.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... super-park

I just hope it does end up coming together.
The moto-sports tracks and concert venue seem like a stretch, but sign me up for hiking, biking, waterparks, ziplines and go-karts !!

Can this be ready for Summer 2019 ?!?! LOL
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 612 posts

Postby AngryBuddha » Oct 26th, 2018, 2:45 pm

I think this is an awesome idea.

More than likely, the :cuss: nimbys and the seniors will squash this like everything else in this town :-X
Last edited by ferri on Oct 26th, 2018, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
AngryBuddha

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Tony » Oct 26th, 2018, 3:35 pm

I think this is a brilliant idea. Like other posters, I really hope it comes together.

the truth likes this post.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 396 posts

Postby seewood » Oct 26th, 2018, 3:42 pm

AngryBuddha wrote:More than likely, the nimbys and the seniors will squash this like everything else in this town

Nope, no can do if all on res land.
Going to be some negotiations regarding power, water, sewer, fire protection etc..
Be interesting how this gets financed, if in fact we get to know.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1439 posts

Postby southy » Oct 26th, 2018, 4:08 pm

AngryBuddha wrote:I think this is an awesome idea.

More than likely, the :cuss: nimbys and the seniors will squash this like everything else in this town :-X

Great idea … I say get rid of those damn nimbys and seniors, wait a sec I'm a senior :200: but I still love the idea.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 792 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 26th, 2018, 7:48 pm

fluffy wrote:A point that slipped by most in the Skaha Park/Waterslides debate is that summer-only businesses face the challenge of making their nut for the entire year in the three or four months of high traffic/mild weather summer period, but therir overall effect on the tourist trade is significant. I am assuming that the PIB is offering some sort of sweetheart deal as far as land cost goes, that in itself can make the difference when it comes to turning a profit.

Best observation post so far. The corollary to this is Skaha Park Lands and why we would/should use such valuable public real estate to support 15% of our local economy of tourism "busting their nut", when an ideal piece of property apparently already existed. Not only for watersides but more.
This is frikken awesome and I wish the PIB every success in this venture.
What this should drive home to people is that there are lands available for seasonal investment activities that do not require priceless beach and lakefront.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3659 posts

Postby blueliner » Oct 26th, 2018, 7:51 pm

Can hardly wait to hear Grand Chief Stewart Phillips take on this :cuss: :cuss:
blueliner
Fledgling

Liked in: 326 posts

Postby twobits » Oct 26th, 2018, 7:54 pm

blueliner wrote:Can hardly wait to hear Grand Chief Stewart Phillips take on this :cuss: :cuss:

For what? Is there bitumen on PIB lands or a pipeline that might come within 100 miles of PIB land?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3659 posts

Postby totoramona » Oct 26th, 2018, 8:29 pm

This is exciting news! Sounds really fun. I would love to see this happen!
totoramona
Board Meister

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby fluffy » Oct 27th, 2018, 9:20 am

AngryBuddha wrote:More than likely, the :cuss: nimbys and the seniors will squash this like everything else in this town :-X

Well the nimbys and seniors will be left out of the loop on this decision thankfully, and that's just as well in my mind. We get way too much of these minorities dictating terms that apply to everyone. They think they are the only ones in town who should get a vote when they generally come up short where supporting the local economy is concerned.

I didn't see Chief Eneas as a business friendly sort when he came on board, he had a bit of "loose cannon" about him, but this latest development is encouraging.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

southy likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4332 posts

Postby pentona » Oct 27th, 2018, 9:35 am

totoramona wrote:This is exciting news! Sounds really fun. I would love to see this happen!

I wonder if this is a Locatee owned land (old Game Farm) or does the PIB own it as a whole? Just curious. Of course everyone is only guessing that this is the land in question; it does make sense, however. That land has sat idle far too long.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 559 posts

Postby the truth » Oct 27th, 2018, 10:29 am

I love the idea............ :up:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6767 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan