Sculpture downtown

Sculpture downtown

Postby twobits » Nov 1st, 2018, 7:48 pm

City seeks sculpture.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -sculpture

I am good with this but want to know who will make up the judging panel. If we end up with another 4 years of international attention of what happened to "Frank, the baggage handler's" penis, we are doomed.
Personally, the granite kokanee sculpture on the backstreet blvd would look awesome at that intersection. IMO, that sculpture deserves a better location. I love that rock.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Cactusflower likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3650 posts

Re: Sculpture downtown

Postby seewood » Nov 1st, 2018, 8:00 pm

http://www.greensidesart.com/index.htm

Was impressed when I worked at Grouse MT for a summer. He obtained 5 foot diameter, 15 foot long fir log deadfalls and would take weeks to carve amazing things. Take a day just to set up the scaffolding.
When I took my young kids up there and some of their friends, I would tell them the wooden bears( Glenn carved) are like Pinocchio bears in that they come alive at night and roam around. I had no problem in proving my story as there were no shortage of real bear tracks around the resort. :D
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1436 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Nov 2nd, 2018, 10:59 pm

I like that granite Kokanee sculpture too and agree it should be in a more prominent location.

I don’t understand art really and most of the time I just admire it for whatever the artist put into it. But the baggage guy was beyond my comprehension though and I suspected that whoever created it did so from an Emporers New Clothes perspective. Was the artist laughing at the city behind their cheque?

I do enjoy the sculptures along Lakeshore drive walkway. Very nice idea to add to an already interesting stroll.

I don’t know who will be choosing the sculpture but I think there should be a mix of artsy folks and non-artsy folks. Just to keep everyone real and avoid going too far fetched. A la the baggage guy or the circle of rocks down at the park on Power Street.

Cactusflower likes this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 534 posts

Postby Cactusflower » Nov 11th, 2018, 1:54 pm

I haven't seen that Kokanee sculpture.......sounds nice. I must drive around that way next time I'm in the area. And yes, some of those sculptures on Lakeshore are lovely. I hope they stay there.

Oh, and the baggage guy.......what a memory! Wasn't he at one of the roundabouts? Whoever commissioned that 'artist' to create that thing should have been fired. Maybe he was. Anyone know?
Cactusflower
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1005 posts

Postby seewood » Nov 11th, 2018, 2:17 pm

The metal sculpture currently in the round-a-bout at the bottom of Vancouver Hill is a fitting tribute to Remembrance day.

To me it is very similar to the tank obstacles found on the Normandy Beach in WW 2.
seewood
Übergod

Postby twobits » Nov 12th, 2018, 7:53 pm

Cactusflower wrote:
Oh, and the baggage guy.......what a memory! Wasn't he at one of the roundabouts? Whoever commissioned that 'artist' to create that thing should have been fired. Maybe he was. Anyone know?

Not sure anyone has seen him lately. He could still be searching for the missing Penis that cost Penticton taxpayers thousands to replace.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby seewood » Nov 13th, 2018, 9:19 am

twobits wrote:Not sure anyone has seen him lately. He could still be searching for the missing Penis that cost Penticton taxpayers thousands to replace.

He was moved to Red Rooster winery. Eventually a cast was made and a bronze? copy was made and again is displayed at Red Rooster as of a few years ago. Haven't been there the past few years to confirm if he is still there in the original form.
seewood
Übergod

Postby southy » Nov 13th, 2018, 11:58 am

He is still there, however, it would appear there is a part missing. [icon_lol2.gif]
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 792 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 13th, 2018, 8:14 pm

southy wrote:He is still there, however, it would appear there is a part missing. [icon_lol2.gif]

Part still missing? Actually makes sense. Replacement might have caused a protest from the LGBQTXYZ community as un inclusive artwork.

twobits
Guru

Return to South Okanagan