Flood risk

seewood
Guru

Re: Flood risk

Post by seewood »

Tony wrote:So does Naniamo charge extra for people not from the area, or does Duncan do that? I highly doubt it.

I have been to both pools on numerous occasions ( both are cool-cold) and never been asked for ID.
Williams Lake pool, never been ID'd. Juan De Fuca pool, nope. Montreal, Boston, Halifax- nope Any others, nope.
Never have I been asked for ID at any pool. Saying that, is there an agreement with outlying areas ponying up? don't know, but one price at the door for everyone seems to be the case.

If the pool goes to ID and separate rates for others not from Penticton, I'd feel for the ladies at the front desk asking for ID.
Have the RDOS pony up, residents that don't use the facilities may push back. No easy answers.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

seewood wrote:
If the pool goes to ID and separate rates for others not from Penticton, I'd feel for the ladies at the front desk asking for ID.
Have the RDOS pony up, residents that don't use the facilities may push back. No easy answers.

There are no easy answers. Surcharge at the gate with ID has logistical problems. Getting RDOS designated specific areas to pony up on their assessment notice is a steep hill to climb because 98% of them will claim to never use Penticton recreational facilities if it means 25 bucks a yr on there tax notice..
But the reality remains that RDOS areas outside of Penticton legal taxation boundaries grows in population at a greater rate than Penticton actually does. Then add PIB residential development on top.
For all of you so red in the face that I suggest some monetary help, grow up. Recognize that this is a serious concern and getting worse every year and instead of saying you shop at Walmart and they pay property taxes so that is your contribution (and please think about how absolutely absurd that defense is), please come up with a way that is fair to the taxpayers of Penticton for carrying the load and post it here.
And while you are pondering that, keep in mind that about 1% of the Penticton population grows apples commercially yet 100% of Penticton residents pay towards the Sterile Insect Program for the entire RDOS.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Also bear in mind that the City of Penticton holds 19 votes at the RDOS table, and all the outlying areas hold 19 votes as well, so the vote is equal between the City and the rural areas. If they had voted that the RDOS be taxed when it was built, we would have had to pay, but they didn't, so we don't. I'm not sure why you're picking on the rural areas. Don't be jealous because we pay less tax. It's one of the perks. There are pitfalls as well. If I'm doing work around the house and need one item, it's a minimum 45 minutes to run to town to pick it up.

There is no way to charge extra for people who live out of town. People come from Kelowna, Vernon, Kamloops and many other outlying areas to come to concerts, plays, events at the Convention Centre, and may be they use the pool while they're here. Or they have a grandchild who is having a dance recital the Cleland Theatre, so they came to town for that from Vancouver. Using your logic, all those people should pay extra. Penticton, with contributions from the Federal and Provincial Governments, opted to build the facility. With Federal and Provincial money, in reality, it means that every tax payer in Canada paid a little bit, and every taxpayer in BC paid a little bit more. Those who use it pay an admission cost, and a portion of that money goes to upkeep and maintenance.

As far as your apple analogy, I will go back to the school tax - 100% of the people pay school taxes, and not 100% of the people have kids in school. Sometimes you have to do things that are the for the betterment of the entire area. Part of our taxes go to pay for the hospital. Fortunately I haven't had to use that for a very long time, so shouldn't I pay less than somebody who's there every month?
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Tony wrote:Also bear in mind that the City of Penticton holds 19 votes at the RDOS table, and all the outlying areas hold 19 votes as well, so the vote is equal between the City and the rural areas. If they had voted that the RDOS be taxed when it was built, we would have had to pay, but they didn't, so we don't.

Tony.....did you get into the home made hooch?? There are now 19 total RDOS directors made up from the Cities, Towns, and rural area's that make up the RDOS. Up from 18 at the last election because of the split of Area D into two areas.
Penticton does not have 19 votes nor do the outlying areas have 19 votes. There are a TOTAL OF 19 VOTES FOR THE ENTIRE RDOS and Penticton has only 4 of them buddy. That would be 21% of the votes of the 19 total yet those 4 votes supply 40% of the RDOS budget.
But go ahead and keep calling that fair cuz you waste 45 min of your time to drive to Walmart, Home Hardware or the Super Store in Penticton.
And let's not even bring up what your cheaper taxes cost society in your carbon footprint. "Actually...we should talk about your admission...."If I'm doing work around the house and need one item, it's a minimum 45 minutes to run to town to pick it up."
Thanks for contributing to recreation someone else paid for and your carbon footprint caused by a 45 min drive to get one item.
You will do something like that.....drive 45 min round trip for one item......and you want to cheap out on paying a buck or two to use a facility for operating costs?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bumped

If runoff comes quickly then yes flooding will be a big concern, hopefully it slow and steady.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/277190 ... d-flooding

Added: this thread is in the South Okanagan, I am referring to the entire Valley plus the Thompson/Shuswap.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... DOS#277564

What a load of bunk!

quotecastanetarticle.jpg

Similar to 2017 and 2018? Really? Or is that 2017/18? If it's the 2017/18, sure I'll give you that.

snowbasindata.png

"We can't say that this is not climate change," Vines said. "In the future we will have variability ... there is no normal, it's a fluctuating change that is increasing over time."

What? So you're saying the driest seasons (spring and fall) are getting wetter, which means more evenness throughout the year, and you're saying this mans more variability? Wouldn't that be less?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

2022 With a heavy snow pack, the Okanagan is likely in for another spring of flooding. The unfortunate fellow who controls the OK lake dam at Penticton will likely be blamed again. IMO, a significant part of the cause of OK valley flash flooding, is clear-cuts removing water absorption/retention in our mountain water shed. Forested land allows water to absorb and release slowly. Perhaps selective logging is better than clear-cuts, as well as for biodiversity.
Hard surfacing the valley floor also contributes to flash flooding and difficult water management.
Attachments
Quilt of clear-cuts in Okanagan watershed. Letting water run rapidly into the valley.
Quilt of clear-cuts in Okanagan watershed. Letting water run rapidly into the valley.
Clear-cuts don’t retain water well, and likely amplify OK valley flash flooding. (Steady and slow water flows of forested areas are more easily managed, and more easily provided for by advance lowering of OK lake)
Clear-cuts don’t retain water well, and likely amplify OK valley flash flooding. (Steady and slow water flows of forested areas are more easily managed, and more easily provided for by advance lowering of OK lake)
Last edited by nepal on Jan 13th, 2022, 7:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

nepal wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 8:06 am 2022 With a heavy snow pack, the Okanagan is likely in for another spring of flooding. The unfortunate fellow who controls the OK lake dam at Penticton will likely be blamed again. IMO, the cause of OK valley flash flooding, is clear-cuts removing water absorption/retention in our mountain water shed. Forested land allows water to absorb and release slowly. Perhaps selective logging is better than clear-cuts, as well as for biodiversity.
It MAY be in for another spring of flooding. The dam operator takes into account the snowpack that empties into the lake and lowers the lake level accordingly to allow freshet in the spring to fill the lake for summer. Been like that for years.
Your opinion figures the cause of Okanagan Valley flash flooding is because of clear cuts in the higher elevations, Clear cuts store snow as snow in forested stands is a fraction of the volume of snow over an equal area. Forested land that has snow on it definitely releases snow at a slower rate.
However, the dam fellow takes all this into account to release/lower lake level for the surface water during the melt to fill the lake back up.
In 2017 there was a late season dump of snow of considerable amount while the lake was being lowered and then a very warm rain immediately followed overwhelming the ability to drain the lake in a short time frame. Nothing to do with clear cuts I'm afraid.
Edit to add: second picture sure looks like a cut from the coast.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Return to “South Okanagan”