Grist Mill....

Grist Mill....

Postby SouthernOkanagan » Nov 28th, 2018, 6:22 am

Now why would the Province of British Columbia fund something like this for only a few years in order to "preserve" it because it's "historic" and then all of a sudden NOT fund it anymore?
Is it all of a sudden NOT a historic place anymore?
I really would like to know how governments get their logic.
SouthernOkanagan

Liked in: 7 posts

Re: Grist Mill....

Postby Glacier » Nov 28th, 2018, 7:18 am

Please do not use the words "government" and "logic" in the same sentence ever again.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

9 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 11458 posts

Postby gman313 » Nov 28th, 2018, 12:52 pm

0 value in funding it
gman313
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1559 posts

Postby Queen K » Nov 28th, 2018, 1:31 pm

SouthernOkanagan wrote:Now why would the Province of British Columbia fund something like this for only a few years in order to "preserve" it because it's "historic" and then all of a sudden NOT fund it anymore?

Com' on, the govt can't fund all the addicts and British Columbian historical sites, at the SAME TIME!
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 14321 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Nov 28th, 2018, 1:37 pm

Glacier wrote:Please do not use the words "government" and "logic" in the same sentence ever again.

That is right up there with combining "civil" and "servant" in the same sentence. Those two words become EXPONENTIALLY oxymoronic when they are combined together.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4009 posts

Postby twobits » Nov 28th, 2018, 8:24 pm

SouthernOkanagan wrote:Now why would the Province of British Columbia fund something like this for only a few years in order to "preserve" it because it's "historic" and then all of a sudden NOT fund it anymore?

The Gov't funded a capital investment for restoration and a business plan that did not include a "forever" clause. This might be the only correct decision the NDP makes in it's current mandate just to spite Larson.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3660 posts

Postby occasional thoughts » Dec 13th, 2018, 8:47 pm

Too bad everything has to be turned by some (many) into government (all stripes) bashing.

About the gist mill, my girlfriend and I like to take drives from Kelowna to all quarters, and Keremeos is one of our favourites due to the fruit and vegetable stands. Because it is hard to get from Kelowna to Keremeos and back between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and supper, we look for authentic places with decent food. The Grist Mill was one of our favourites. We went on one of our sojourns in mid-dish summer (august probably) and on arrival in Keremeos, went first to the Grist Mill for lunch. It was a Sunday, it was after 11 a.m., and it is advertised to be open 7 days a week. Nope, not that day; they'd had a wedding the night before, they were cleaning up, they weren't serving food that day. To me that is an attitude that smacks of negligent amateurism and certainly shows no care for customers. As we left, rather angry, we passed others flowing from the parking lot to the guest facility where they too would be told soo, you don't matter today. I hope the historical structure survives, but I have no use for the alleged business minds that ran the place.

Anonymous123 likes this post.
occasional thoughts
Übergod

Liked in: 394 posts

Postby twobits » Dec 14th, 2018, 7:42 pm

occasional thoughts wrote:Too bad everything has to be turned by some (many) into government (all stripes) bashing.

About the gist mill, my girlfriend and I like to take drives from Kelowna to all quarters, and Keremeos is one of our favourites due to the fruit and vegetable stands. Because it is hard to get from Kelowna to Keremeos and back between breakfast and lunch or between lunch and supper, we look for authentic places with decent food. The Grist Mill was one of our favourites. We went on one of our sojourns in mid-dish summer (august probably) and on arrival in Keremeos, went first to the Grist Mill for lunch. It was a Sunday, it was after 11 a.m., and it is advertised to be open 7 days a week. Nope, not that day; they'd had a wedding the night before, they were cleaning up, they weren't serving food that day. To me that is an attitude that smacks of negligent amateurism and certainly shows no care for customers. As we left, rather angry, we passed others flowing from the parking lot to the guest facility where they too would be told soo, you don't matter today. I hope the historical structure survives, but I have no use for the alleged business minds that ran the place.

If there was any gov't bashing here, it was actually for the previous gov't for this taxpayer funding of.....in your words...."negligent amateurism".
The Grist Mill is a historic site and I hope it remains that. But that preservation IMO does not include making it a commercial property to subsidize a seasonal restaurant and wedding venue for profit at taxpayers expense to keep it up to current codes for lords sake. Quite clearly the business plan put forth to make it a commercial venture to sustain the historic site does not work. Any further investment is just a subsidy for private restaurateurs.
Mark it as a historical site, provide an on site information platform, and let it be what it is. A piece of history that we can visit and appreciate, see the bones as they deteriorate, and understand that it is not a monument to throw hundreds of thousands, and over years, millions of dollars at as there are far more worthy needs.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby occasional thoughts » Dec 16th, 2018, 12:28 pm

Very reasonable, probably the right way to go. As a B.C. History, I am very much personally attuned to preservation of historic sites and artifacts, although I wonder about wooden structures: eventually they all burn. So I guess my negative comments were directed at the restaurateur.

I would say, however, the restaurants and food opportunities in general are popular in conjunction with nice, relaxing, historic sites such as the Grist Mill. If a café or whatever, I just hope for a reliable one.
occasional thoughts
Übergod

Postby twobits » Dec 16th, 2018, 8:55 pm

occasional thoughts wrote:Very reasonable, probably the right way to go. As a B.C. History, I am very much personally attuned to preservation of historic sites and artifacts, although I wonder about wooden structures: eventually they all burn. So I guess my negative comments were directed at the restaurateur.

I would say, however, the restaurants and food opportunities in general are popular in conjunction with nice, relaxing, historic sites such as the Grist Mill. If a café or whatever, I just hope for a reliable one.

Absolutely no disagreement there as long as the entrepreneur clearly looking to exploit the site as a historic, pays to keep it up to public safety standards for that kind of use.
I originally visited the Grist Mill some 35 or 40 or so years ago. There was no restaurant but some basic information boards provided me with a history and significance of the structure with peek a boo views only of the actual internal mechanism because of safety concerns. Not being able to dine there after all of these years has not diminished my understanding or appreciation for this very early flour mill.
What I do very clearly remember after all of these years is that the mill had originally been thought to be an undershot waterwheel "fed by a flume hitting the bottom of the wheel" was actually, despite 50 or more years of belief, an overshot wheel where the water poured over the top of the wheel, was actually how it was built. The flume timbers had long since been cannibalized by area farmers and ranchers.
And the only reason I recant this boring story is that our history and heritage is important but does not need to be prostituted to some commercial use to keep it a Historical Site.

dirtybiker likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby occasional thoughts » Dec 23rd, 2018, 10:37 am

May the grist mill live long and prosper. And my the restaurateur do likewise. But get rid of the entrepreneur from last year who obviously had no care and RESPECT for his customers.
occasional thoughts
Übergod

Postby twobits » Dec 23rd, 2018, 6:28 pm

occasional thoughts wrote:May the grist mill live long and prosper. And my the restaurateur do likewise. But get rid of the entrepreneur from last year who obviously had no care and RESPECT for his customers.

Maybe they were not so customer oriented because they were not making any money and that frustration was obvious to the patrons.
How does anyone make any money at something like this? Let's be real. It is a point of interest for about 4 months of tourist traffic. At most it deserves a summer student to tell the story and give them directions and brochures to other actual local businesses.

twobits
Guru

Postby occasional thoughts » Dec 31st, 2018, 10:31 am

I'll grant you the attitude towards customer service comes from somewhere, Obviously the attitude and the decision came from somewhere, and they burned customers on the day after the wedding, and reap us as disaffected customers who will be reluctant to go back next year.

The irony is that the day we showed up to lunch was the day we discovered the Hitching Post In Hedley. We wll know where that's gone now.

All very sad on both counts.
occasional thoughts
Übergod

Return to South Okanagan