Congratulations - Summerland Festival of Lights

Congratulations - Summerland Festival of Lights

Postby southy » Dec 2nd, 2018, 7:02 pm

I am truly amazed how year after year the town of Summerland can draw thousands from all areas of the valley for their Festival of LIghts: http://summerlandlightup.com/events/ Congratulations to organizers for another wonderful family event. I got thinking, what is it about the Summerland Festival that makes it so special? Really good live music. Crafts and fun for the kids. A carnival like atmosphere. Safe - fun environment for the entire family. Retail shopping excitement and savings . Warming Zones and public washrooms. (Bonus). Ice carving. Pony Rides, etc. etc. etc. etc. Then I got thinking … why does Downtown Penticton even bother trying to compete with this Festival. I mean … Downtown Penticton holds their lightup the week before and I can tell you I think I've seen more of a lightup by those bad boys in the back alley behind the 200 block. It was very uneventful in my opinion. Nothing to exciting. Then they hold their Santa Claus Parade the day after Summerland's Festival of LIghts. Didn't attend (I'm alittle miffed at Claus over his promise to deliver a winning Canuck team for 2018) But from reports from those I know who did it too was not that eventful. One would think that the Downtown Penticton Group would either go all in and do something really amazingly different or back away completely and let Summerland continue to be the Christmas event of the year. There is a lot Penticton could do but for some reason the creative conceptualizing of this group just doesn't seem to exist. Again, congratulations Summerland - you did yourself proud again.

2 people like this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 792 posts

Re: Congratulations - Summerland Festival of Lights

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 2nd, 2018, 7:22 pm

I went. The light-up was off cue. Too many politicians pontificating on stage delayed the official light up which was supposed to happen at 7:00 not 7:10. There were quite a few stores that were not open and those shop owners had their lights set to go off at 7:00 creating a disjointed light up. The fireworks however were excellent as always.
We See
We Judge

southy likes this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1502 posts

Postby abraham » Dec 2nd, 2018, 11:48 pm

Those are pretty minor things to pick apart about the event!
However noticing your “we see we judge” title then it makes sense your probably not a very positive fellow!

3 people like this post.
abraham

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 3rd, 2018, 7:27 am

Didn't you just judge? Anonymous123 didn't say he didn't enjoy the light up but I can see how someone not paying attention to the time would result in the lights not being synchronized. Something to pay attention to next year to get the full ambience. I would love to have gone to see it and would love to see every community come together like that to make a night to remember for families etc. Brings out the kid in adults.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Anonymous123 likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7164 posts

Postby Anonymous123 » Dec 3rd, 2018, 8:28 am

abraham wrote:Those are pretty minor things to pick apart about the event!
However noticing your “we see we judge” title then it makes sense your probably not a very positive fellow!

I beg to differ Abe. I am a very "positive fellow". Just pointing out issues that could be and should be fixed if you are going to put on an event that attracts thousands of people.

Edited to add: This is a "Light Up Festival". You would think that the main attraction would be the one thing that is finely tuned.
We See
We Judge

Tony likes this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1502 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 3rd, 2018, 8:38 am

I wish we could have made it to the Summerland Festival. I love that little town. We will go to Peachland's this Friday.

Drove up to Big White on Saturday evening for theirs. I wasn't impressed. There was fireworks at 6:30 pm, they were supposed to light up the village at 6:30 but the lights were already on. The fireworks were decent. Our Japanese student really enjoyed experiencing a bit of Canadian Christmas with snow before she returns home next weekend.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 3497 posts

Return to South Okanagan