City wasting time and money - their decison is made.

City wasting time and money - their decison is made.

Postby southy » Dec 5th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Just when I thought it was safe to believe in our city once again … the political bs raises it's ugly head once again. This story and the similar stories in other print media really have me shaking my head. https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... t-shop-ban

The Downtown Penticton Association says to the city officials: “[b]We are a pro-business organization,” the letter reads. “With the legalization of retail cannabis, the DPA Board of Directors do not agree with the restricted zones within our downtown as found in the framework presented to city council.”
[/b]
So the city wants to prohibit sales in the 100-200-300 blocks and Front Street because?????? Are you ready for this:
Penticton city staff have suggested banning pot shops from what they consider the “highest value” retail streets in the community. Because they consider the 100-200-300 and front Street the "highest value retail streets in the community. Hummm not sure how they arrived at that other than their multi million dollar revitalization project. City officials are concerned about pot shops being close to schools. Well gee .. it would appear that by allowing shops in the 400-500 and 600 blocks shops are going to be a whole lot closer to said schools. Does anyone else see their logic???

Another media article stated that the city also said they are prohibiting pot shops in these "highest value retail streets" because the Downtown Pentiction Association's Saturday Market and Santa Claus parade are held there. The market they go on to say attracts a large amount of teens. Really … the teens I know and talk to stay as far away from that market as they possibly can. I call *bleep* on the city again. Santa Claus parade??? Ahhh .. thought that ran down more than just the 300-
200 and 100 blocks … doesn't it start up at the end of the 400 block. Unbelievable.

So now council is going to do what any city should do … are ready for this one: Councillors voted to send the policy to a public hearing Dec. 18 at 6 p.m. at city hall, where residents will have their last chance to provide input on the policy.

What about all those business people in the rest of downtown Penticton … do they get a say?? Or did the DPA speak to all other retailers. Who is controlling what and for what?? I for one simply do not get some of the decision making that goes on over in the big white building. Speaking of that … has anyone heard from the Weeb lately. Hummm .. perhaps another story down the road.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 792 posts

Re: City wasting time and money - their decison is made.

Postby pentona » Dec 5th, 2018, 9:50 pm

southy wrote:Just when I thought it was safe to believe in our city once again … the political bs raises it's ugly head once again. This story and the similar stories in other print media really have me shaking my head. https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... t-shop-ban

The Downtown Penticton Association says to the city officials: “[b]We are a pro-business organization,” the letter reads. “With the legalization of retail cannabis, the DPA Board of Directors do not agree with the restricted zones within our downtown as found in the framework presented to city council.”
[/b]
So the city wants to prohibit sales in the 100-200-300 blocks and Front Street because?????? Are you ready for this:
Penticton city staff have suggested banning pot shops from what they consider the “highest value” retail streets in the community. Because they consider the 100-200-300 and front Street the "highest value retail streets in the community. Hummm not sure how they arrived at that other than their multi million dollar revitalization project. City officials are concerned about pot shops being close to schools. Well gee .. it would appear that by allowing shops in the 400-500 and 600 blocks shops are going to be a whole lot closer to said schools. Does anyone else see their logic???

Another media article stated that the city also said they are prohibiting pot shops in these "highest value retail streets" because the Downtown Pentiction Association's Saturday Market and Santa Claus parade are held there. The market they go on to say attracts a large amount of teens. Really … the teens I know and talk to stay as far away from that market as they possibly can. I call *bleep* on the city again. Santa Claus parade??? Ahhh .. thought that ran down more than just the 300-
200 and 100 blocks … doesn't it start up at the end of the 400 block. Unbelievable.

So now council is going to do what any city should do … are ready for this one: Councillors voted to send the policy to a public hearing Dec. 18 at 6 p.m. at city hall, where residents will have their last chance to provide input on the policy.

What about all those business people in the rest of downtown Penticton … do they get a say?? Or did the DPA speak to all other retailers. Who is controlling what and for what?? I for one simply do not get some of the decision making that goes on over in the big white building. Speaking of that … has anyone heard from the Weeb lately. Hummm .. perhaps another story down the road.

You make some good points. It appears that City Staff are the ones running (or trying to) the new council. Anyone with a tape measure can figure out that the only block that would then be suitable might be the 400 block of Main Street. The 500 block would be too close to the Teen Centre that is proposed and the 600 block way too close to the High School. The 400 block may be still too close to the Teen Centre as well.

Hopefully the public will get involved and enlighten these politicians before they make as many dumb decisions as the last council did. In this matter, I would advise listening to advice from the DPA, far more than some City Manager.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 555 posts

Postby fluffy » Dec 6th, 2018, 9:20 am

At this point, I don't see any reason to treat cannabis outlets any different than liquor outlets.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

6 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4331 posts

Postby XT225 » Dec 6th, 2018, 10:04 am

The latest info that I read in the paper stated that council was no longer in favor of ANY cannabis outlets on Main Street, period and that it was going to a Public hearing. I agree that they should be treated much like liquor stores. The product is not illegal any longer. I seem to recall a [email protected] shop on Main Street (don't think it exists any longer) and a Tobacco store (I think its still there). Free Enterprise should decide where they go, in my opinion. Why should it matter if one is established close to a school, since that age group would not be able to purchase anything anyways? I would rather have clients with money purchasing legal products in the downtown than some of the low lifes that presently frequent the area now.

2 people like this post.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 704 posts

Postby ToddT » Dec 6th, 2018, 10:12 am

A cannabis store might actually breathe life into the downtown core. Calling the 100 thru 300 blocks highest value is absurd to me. I never shop down there but I might be more inclined to if I had to go there to pick up lol.

3 people like this post.
ToddT
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby fluffy » Dec 6th, 2018, 10:22 am

That's what gets me, treating them differently than any other legal business tends to stigmatize them unfairly. It's legal now, live with it. How much money has our new mayor put in the bank peddling alcohol ? A much more harmful drug than pot in my mind. It's hypocritical to treat cannabis outlets any differently.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

3 people like this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4331 posts

Postby XT225 » Dec 6th, 2018, 10:56 am

ToddT wrote:A cannabis store might actually breathe life into the downtown core. Calling the 100 thru 300 blocks highest value is absurd to me. I never shop down there but I might be more inclined to if I had to go there to pick up lol.

Now there is a good thought. This stuff isn't cheap; just look at the High end store in Kamloops. Anyone going in there will have some serious dough to spend and they could also be inclined to spend more on other downtown businesses. It could be a huge attraction that would bring more revenue to all downtown businesses. Might be better to encourage them to establish there rather than chase them away to other areas of town.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Bunnyhop » Dec 6th, 2018, 11:49 am

I'd like to see the City justify their concerns by providing evidence of the previous (illegal) pot shops "bringing down the neighborhood".

Were there problems with those stores and their clientele?
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 534 posts

Postby Drip_Torch » Dec 6th, 2018, 12:43 pm

ToddT wrote:A cannabis store might actually breathe life into the downtown core. Calling the 100 thru 300 blocks highest value is absurd to me. I never shop down there but I might be more inclined to if I had to go there to pick up lol.

I think you're exactly right Todd. I ventured back to the big city, for the first time in years, about a month and a half ago and I was very impressed with what I saw. An evening meeting took me into downtown on a Friday night and I parked in an area that ten years ago I would have been leery of. Even with security watching my vehicle. There was a vibe, vibrancy, life - okay, it was hopping, and after diner I went for a walk to take in all that had changed.

What changed … cannabis culture, honeybudz… etc.

I ran into a couple workmates from days gone by and they toured me through the various shops that had set up. I was impressed. The atmosphere and the clientele surprised me the most. Of course they’re pushing the limits of the current law and there is a much more social aspect to it all that it isn’t just retail dispensaries.

It’s definitely pumping money into areas that were on the decline. It’s definitely created vibrancy and it’s definitely not what I would have expected.

I’m with you guys. Let’s just get on with it.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Übergod

Liked in: 1091 posts

Postby CTF » Dec 6th, 2018, 1:55 pm

I generally prefer the market to decide where retail locations work best subject to zoning compliance.

That said if given the choice of a cannabis shop being located in our downtown core which is within easy walking distance to the secondary school as opposed to having the same cannabis store located in the Cannery I would prefer the Cannery location all day long.
CTF
Fledgling

Liked in: 47 posts

Postby southy » Dec 6th, 2018, 2:14 pm

CTF wrote:I generally prefer the market to decide where retail locations work best subject to zoning compliance.

That said if given the choice of a cannabis shop being located in our downtown core which is within easy walking distance to the secondary school as opposed to having the same cannabis store located in the Cannery I would prefer the Cannery location all day long.

So are you saying because a shop is within easy walking distance, students are automatically going to try and obtain weed from said shop??? I think not. Students haven't had to walk very far in the past to purchase weed, likely don't even have to leave school. As far as the Cannery location … seems like a convenience factor for you CTF.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 792 posts

Postby CTF » Dec 6th, 2018, 2:33 pm

southy wrote:
So are you saying because a shop is within easy walking distance, students are automatically going to try and obtain weed from said shop??? I think not. Students haven't had to walk very far in the past to purchase weed, likely don't even have to leave school. As far as the Cannery location … seems like a convenience factor for you CTF.

I suppose my concern is that I can see a certain segment of the downtown regulars buying dope as adults and "re-selling" to kids....probably just me being an old codger.
CTF
Fledgling

Liked in: 47 posts

Postby ToddT » Dec 6th, 2018, 2:47 pm

CTF wrote:
I suppose my concern is that I can see a certain segment of the downtown regulars buying dope as adults and "re-selling" to kids....probably just me being an old codger.

In a town that is roughly 5 km across, I don't think it matters where the pot shops are. If a person is a big enough lowlife to re-sell drugs to minors, they are a big enough lowlife to steal a bike and get where they need to go quickly. Let the system "weed" them out.

soupy likes this post.
ToddT
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby XT225 » Dec 6th, 2018, 3:19 pm

CTF wrote:I generally prefer the market to decide where retail locations work best subject to zoning compliance.

I see it just the same as the corner store by Pen High selling cigarettes (legal but only to those over 19) within spittin distance of the school., so why should Cannabis stores not be allowed? Same thing; illegal ONLY to those under 19 to purchase. Both products are legal if you are of age.

3 people like this post.
XT225
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Chessman » Dec 6th, 2018, 5:50 pm

This is so Penticton.... ongoing community dysfunction ...forever and ever ! This is just the latest divisive topic du jour.
DPA, what are you thinking? they want crime to be reduced downtown but want pot shops...*bleep* ?
Campbell Watt is “Teflon Man “ ,won’t offer a final opinion until he figures out which way the wind is blowing. Typical Watt provides comments on both side of the debate. Greasy political tactics Campbell .
I’m not on the Forum to debate, I don’t engage with cretins and there is nothing you can do about a sub 80 IQ.
Chessman

Liked in: 32 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan