City wasting time and money - their decison is made.

Re: City wasting time and money - their decison is made.

Postby pentona » Dec 8th, 2018, 1:42 pm

Drip_Torch wrote:I do understand how people, including city managers, can formulate and hang onto personal bias. What I don't understand is how a 175 million dollar a year corporation doesn't have the management systems in place to separate those biases out of the decision making processes.

I see the opportunity to create full time jobs. Those folks will be participating in our local economy with those wages and benefits. How the city can feel good about taking a slice out of those businesses before they are even up and running is beyond me.

I went onto the city website and could only find one cost for an annual business license fee at $175. What could possibly justify it being anymore than that? Do they have to inspect it more often than any other commercial business? Unless there is some significant justification for a fee higher than this, then it appears solely as a money grab by the City. It would appear from the proposed ammendments below that presently the city has no legal way to charge more or control these businesses any differently than any other businesses. Lets hope that both bylaws fail, miserably.

Lets hope that council does not listen to staff reccomendations on this and rejects the ridiculous increase and also the idea of banning anything on Main or Front Streets. With all the millions spent on the beautification project downtown, you would think they would welcome such lucrative businesses.

Important Public Hearing, December 18, 2018, 6:00pm at City Hall:

Cannabis Retail Stores
Zoning Amendment Bylaw 2018-66: A bylaw that adds a definition for "cannabis retail store" and includes the use in C4 (General Commercial), C5 (Urban Centre Commercial) and C6 (Urban Peripheral Commercial) zones and prohibits cannabis stores downtown on Main or Front streets.

Business Licence Amendment Bylaw 2018-67: A bylaw that adds a definition for "cannabis retail store" and regulates the operation of cannabis retail stores.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 633 posts

Postby twobits » Dec 8th, 2018, 5:38 pm

pentona wrote:I went onto the city website and could only find one cost for an annual business license fee at $175. What could possibly justify it being anymore than that? Do they have to inspect it more often than any other commercial business?

It's a City Business license. Same they give to a beer store. The City has no more control over the beer store than they will the local weed store except compliance with local zoning bylaws. So really, once the licence is granted, there is very little the City must monitor. The rest of the laws pertaining to the establishment are Provincial or Federal, just like the beer store. ie RCMP. Where is the extra cost justification to the City for these Business Licence charges??
There isn't, and Vancouver is going to be the first legal court test case that will fail.....and likely have to repay.....take notice new Council members!
Can't blame....yet....the new Council cuz this just got dropped in their newbie laps, but this extortion licence fee based on some false fear of increased enforcement expense on the part of the City is pure bollocks. This looks very much like some biased administrators trying to recoup some "Jurko et al" expenses. They have pretty much verified that IMO by stating that licence fee's would be revisited in a cpl of yrs and lowered if no problems arise.
Racketeering actually comes to mind......as in one creates a problem that does not exist in order to profit from it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3855 posts

Postby ToddT » Dec 10th, 2018, 10:58 am

I can't believe there is concern over having a legal weed store on Front Street. I don't think some people realize Front Street was a whole lot more "Colourful" when it was home to a famous strip club for 20+ years.

OllyV likes this post.
ToddT
Übergod

Liked in: 274 posts

Previous

Return to South Okanagan