SOPAC

SOPAC

Postby smoky500 » Jan 23rd, 2019, 9:29 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... m-on-SOPAC

I hope this does go to referendum and puts this issue to bed for good, and good on Ms. Sentes to carry forward previous council opinion that SOPAC has not made enough support/funding to move this forward

And isn't Mr. Kimberly in a conflict of interest discussing this on council if he was a former board member?
smoky500
Fledgling

Liked in: 75 posts

Re: SOPAC

Postby pentona » Jan 23rd, 2019, 10:37 am

smoky500 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/247416/Referendum-on-SOPAC

I hope this does go to referendum and puts this issue to bed for good, and good on Ms. Sentes to carry forward previous council opinion that SOPAC has not made enough support/funding to move this forward

And isn't Mr. Kimberly in a conflict of interest discussing this on council if he was a former board member?

I don't have a problem if the City gives SOPAC another few years extension on the land promised to them, as long as SOPAC raises the entire funding for any such building by themselves and does not request tax dollars towards it.

I agree somewhat re Kimberly; though he may or may not be in conflict of interest over this, as he doesn't stand to benefit personally from any such project.

seewood likes this post.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 621 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 23rd, 2019, 10:55 am

pentona wrote:I don't have a problem if the City gives SOPAC another few years extension on the land promised to them, as long as SOPAC raises the entire funding for any such building by themselves and does not request tax dollars towards it.

Spot-on.

I/we like plays and when visiting Chemainus will see what is playing at that very high quality playhouse. Same as when in Vancouver. For some reason I still like them to be self supporting though without tax dollars. I know some tax money is available through arts grants but being grants, that money can vary from year to year.
This case in Penticton, the group has a pretty steep hill to climb. Business sponsorship helps, but me thinks Campe has made his mark with the hospital and for that we say thank you.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1627 posts

Postby smoky500 » Jan 23rd, 2019, 11:39 am

my concern is that the City becomes more financially involved in this venture. If there is to be an arts center it needs to be able to support itself financially with out tax dollars. I know there are lots of people who enjoy theatre, I have gone to Many Hats several times, as well as theatres in Vancouver and Toronto (the Phantom at the Pantages was incredible) and I know that this would be a much nicer venue, but if after all these years SOPAC still does not have enough money and a viable business plan, should this go ahead?

seewood likes this post.
smoky500
Fledgling

Postby southy » Jan 23rd, 2019, 12:11 pm

Pentona I have to agree with you as well. The part I have trouble with is that this group has been trying to move this initiative forward for quite some time. I don't see anything happening. Today, I thought I would try and find out more about this organization and where they might be at as far as planning. Here is their website link: https://sopac.ca/
This doesn't install confidence in me. No website??? What gives. Are they going after federal/provincial grant money? Is there other monies available from the corporate world for a facility like this? If they are looking for local support they need to get more information out there and honest and open communication as to where they are coming from, where they have been and where they plan to get to. Think it's called a business plan. Time will tell. As far as Jake being in conflict. I don't think there is much he can do from his present position. And who knows, when it comes time to vote he may remove himself.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 990 posts

Postby pentona » Jan 23rd, 2019, 1:44 pm

southy wrote:Pentona I have to agree with you as well. The part I have trouble with is that this group has been trying to move this initiative forward for quite some time. I don't see anything happening. Today, I thought I would try and find out more about this organization and where they might be at as far as planning. Here is their website link: https://sopac.ca/
This doesn't install confidence in me. No website??? What gives. Are they going after federal/provincial grant money? Is there other monies available from the corporate world for a facility like this? If they are looking for local support they need to get more information out there and honest and open communication as to where they are coming from, where they have been and where they plan to get to. Think it's called a business plan. Time will tell. As far as Jake being in conflict. I don't think there is much he can do from his present position. And who knows, when it comes time to vote he may remove himself.

I am fully in favor of SOPAC paying for, building and managing any such Theatre; just not with asking taxpayers to pay for it. We don't need another situation like the Community Centre Pool where anyone can use it, pay the same rates as Penticton taxpayers and yet they may live outside Penticton and have not contributed to paying for the building.

What was a shame was the loss of the Pen High Auditorium; seating for around 600 I believe. No it wasn't perfect but it was much bigger than the Cleland theatre (at around 450). Too bad the Cleland wasn't built larger; of course at that time there was likely no talk of demolishing the Pen High auditorium.

Oliver has a nice theatre (Venables) at around 405 seats; for the size of the town, compare to Penticton, that is huge. Its unique in that the School District (Government) built it (after the old one burnt down, so insurance money likely covered that loss) and its leased out to either the RDOS and/or theatre society in Oliver. I do not think that any city of Oliver tax dollars were used to build that one. The same should apply here.

"If they (SOPAC) build it, people will come." (Field of Dreams)

From the Oliver Venables Theatre website:
Venables Theatre is a mid-sized community theatre owned by School District # 53 and leased to the Regional District of the Okanagan Similkameen through a joint use agreement.

The theatre, which is adjacent to the Southern Okanagan Secondary School, is operated by the non-profit Oliver Community Theatre Society.

Opened in 2014, the Theatre literally rose out of the ashes of the historic art-deco style Venables Auditorium which burnt to the ground in the fall of 2011.
pentona
Übergod

Postby twobits » Jan 24th, 2019, 7:54 pm

What does Kelowna have for a performing Arts Center? Sorry, never been drawn to that kind of entertainment venue so I don't know. I would like to know however what a City of around 200k supports for such a market? Just so I have some measure of what Penticton might be asked to spend.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 24th, 2019, 8:12 pm

Kelowna community theater is 879 seats and Rotary Center of the Arts is 332 seats.

Cleland theater at the community center is 443 seats, Summerland theater at the school is 295 seats and Venables in Oliver is 406 seats. Many Hats is around 90 seats I think.
Chemainus with a town population of about 2500 is 278 I believe.

I suspect many of these do work with grants from Canada's art council and a portion of the capital cost was from the Canadian government.
I'd be thinking the organizing committee would be figuring out what will work, what kind of productions are being proposed, fixed costs to be amortized over a year etc... Really a business plan. If it is a realistic plan, and the area's population would patronize it, ( with other existing venues in an hours drive) then I suspect it might fly.
But as mentioned, perhaps not a great idea to have Penticton to chip in any loot so as to negate the us and them scenario. Two tiered tickets would definitely not go over well in this case.

Twobits, try it one evening. Many are better than the *bleep* on the big screen.
Last edited by seewood on Jan 24th, 2019, 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1627 posts

Postby southy » Jan 24th, 2019, 8:15 pm

twobits wrote:What does Kelowna have for a performing Arts Center? Sorry, never been drawn to that kind of entertainment venue so I don't know. I would like to know however what a City of around 200k supports for such a market? Just so I have some measure of what Penticton might be asked to spend.

This will give you most everything you will need to know: https://theatre.kelowna.ca/
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 990 posts

Postby twobits » Jan 25th, 2019, 5:11 pm

seewood wrote:Kelowna community theater is 879 seats and Rotary Center of the Arts is 332 seats.

Cleland theater at the community center is 443 seats, Summerland theater at the school is 295 seats and Venables in Oliver is 406 seats. Many Hats is around 90 seats I think.
Chemainus with a town population of about 2500 is 278 I believe.

So Kelowna's "big" Arts Venue has 879 seats with population capture of 200k easily. Cleland Theatre in Penticton has 443 seats. Conveniently almost exactly half the size for a market area 25% of the size.
Simple numbers would suggest Penticton is already adequately served would they not, or do we just have a few over zealous live arts enthusiasts trying to fight a battle way above their weight class?
That would seem to be the case as there are the same names being repeated now that were around for the liquidation of the City's last attempt at "theatre" in Penticton on Martin St.
Would once burned, twice shy, be a prophetic idiom or do these people think we have forgotten about that failure of support by the general population.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Troutcreeker likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby CTF » Jan 29th, 2019, 1:38 pm

I am all for a referendum and would vote against this.

The existing Cleland theater is far from being at capacity use and even when used does it ever sell out?

Penticton already gave a grant/loan to the group trying to make a theater out of the old Pen-Mar and that project failed badly.

The SOPAC group has had 10 years and gotten nowhere. They got a grant to host a forum last fall and they couldn't even pull that off. It failed.

Jake only bought this piece of land on the fly when he was the Mayor last time in order to appease his friends who were unhappy the City was moving ahead with the SOEC instead of SOPAC.

That piece of land has lost the tax revenue it formerly generated, provides zero employment sitting dormant as a parking lot and continues to waste councils time as they endlessly grant extensions to appease the SOPAC group who are mostly all talk and no action.

In my view put this to a referendum so we can put this dead horse out of its misery.

2 people like this post.
CTF
Fledgling

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Mar 7th, 2019, 8:23 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -more-time

For crying out loud, how much more time is going to be wasted flogging this dead horse?

If SOPAC hasn’t got their act together in 10+ years, what miracle do they expect to pull off in another month or two?

2 people like this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 561 posts

Postby smoky500 » Mar 7th, 2019, 9:48 am

from another report:
Kimberley said the symposium didn’t happen because the society couldn’t get enough money together, but said there should be an opportunity to get sponsorship for the building, something that was pursued, but not heavily enough.

If they cannot get enough money together to come up with a plan, how the :cuss: are they going to pay for said plan???

This has gone on long enough, started in 2005 "“Council knew in 2005 this wasn’t going to happen overnight,” he said. This is 2019, long past overnight, lets come up with a new plan.

pentona likes this post.
smoky500
Fledgling

Postby pentona » Mar 7th, 2019, 10:45 am

smoky500 wrote:from another report:
Kimberley said the symposium didn’t happen because the society couldn’t get enough money together, but said there should be an opportunity to get sponsorship for the building, something that was pursued, but not heavily enough.

If they cannot get enough money together to come up with a plan, how the :cuss: are they going to pay for said plan???

This has gone on long enough, started in 2005 "“Council knew in 2005 this wasn’t going to happen overnight,” he said. This is 2019, long past overnight, lets come up with a new plan.

Not sure that Kimberley should be involved in the council decisions regarding this issue as he is heavily involved in the SOPAC group. May not be a board member (if they even have a board, still) but he still has his finger heavily into it.

2 people like this post.
pentona
Übergod

Postby smoky500 » Jul 15th, 2019, 9:35 pm

hopefully council will veto spending any money on this

http://www.pentictonherald.ca/news/arti ... t=headline

$15,000 just for meals for attendees is crazy
smoky500
Fledgling