New Summerland bypass

pentona
Übergod

Re: New Summerland bypass

Post by pentona »

farmers daughter wrote:Audi TT. Meaning, low clearance but with AWD. Trying to say I didn't need a jacked up steroid truck to navigate the road,

Thanks for explaining that meaning of TT. I had bets that it meant "Tow Truck". Not family with an audi, so didn't know the models. AWD is definitely a huge benefit on roads like that.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

MAPearce wrote:
Yes, but the Rocks have never reached Callan Road before, so its a safe bypass. Not to worry.

Uh huh.....

But to me a bypass UNDER the route already closed because of falling rock makes no sense ...

I'll go get another beer ...

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -at-bypass

“In an abundance of caution we have installed a lock-block wall at the bottom of the slide site … to ensure that materials and rock do no reach Callan Road,” she said.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

one wheel wrote:I agree with MAPearce 100% ! Isn't having that bypass below the slide is taking a huge gamble ?
I just hope nothing goes wrong & no one gets hurt.

Sure of course.

The problem with now former by-pass is all the single lane bridges, sheer ice showing through the barely there sand and the possibility that people with worn out tires would be up there. The possiblility of someone getting hurt driving up steep sections is just as high.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Drove North on Hwy 97 and via Callan Road early this afternoon. Easy Peezy no line up, road was good 2 lane and done in a few minutes. Looked up and there were 5 or 6 people rappelling down the rock face above the slide. Maybe they are setting new dynamite charges on that newly uncovered rock face. I figure if they can do that safely I'm ok to drive for a few minutes below where they are working.

Also wanted to say Thank You again to those who are doing all the work to get Hwy 97 opened properly. It is very much appreciated that they are working outside in unseasonably cold windy conditions to do this. Thank You
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

farmers daughter wrote:I don't know what the kerfuffle is. Drive it in a Prius? Heck, I drove it in my TT and did fine. Only issue was the non confident drivers who shouldn't have tried it. If you aren't comfortable driving on a FSR in the best weather, certainly don't attempt it in winter conditions. Common sense isn't so common.

Wow. Sounds like a princess in an all wheel drive Audi. Wonder what the bank teller going to West Kelowna is driving?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Headline : Hwy closure hard on locals

Article states : "Businesses in Penticton are feeling the pinch after a lengthy closure of Highway 97 near Summerland and ongoing restrictions on large trucks using the Callan Road detour.

"It's almost like we've had a snow day for the last two weeks because the road has slid and nobody knows what to do," said Penticton and Wine Country Chamber of Commerce board director Daryl Clarke.

Trucks over 3.8 metres in width can only use the Callan Road detour around the rockslide site from midnight to 5 a.m. Otherwise, they are forced to use far longer service road detours."

What ! ? Penticton is really "feeling the pinch" delivery trucks cant' get through. 3.8 meters ? ??? Gee how wide is the average semi ?????

I checked 2.59 meters.

The article sounds like virtually no trucks are getting through, but when you check the facts, most trucks (the average semi) is just fine going through. I know the day I went through there were lots of semi's in the traffic going through.

What is this all about ???? Alarmist ???
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

I often see over-width flags on mobile homes being transported. Maybe that’s what they are alluding to when they restrict the width to less than 3.8 metres. As far as the other trucks not getting through, I think that problem was prevalent in the first part of the closure which has since been rectified.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Sounds like little more than a "buy in Penticton" campaign.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Urban Cowboy wrote:Sounds like little more than a "buy in Penticton" campaign.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#249464

The article is quite strange, it is credited to information from Daryl Clarke of the Penticton Chamber of Commerce, who you'd think would want people to shop in Penticton.

He says "trucks are prohibited" goes on to say if over 3.8 metres. Now most (including me have no idea how wide a semi is) so it appears that semi can't get through except midnight to 5:00 AM.

He goes on to say : "Everything that comes to Penticton comes in a truck, and unfortunately when they stop those trucks they stop commerce and trade, the stores can't restock, we can't ship our products, it's a problem,"

So it sound like "those trucks" are the ones supplying Penticton stores.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

my5cents wrote:Headline : Hwy closure hard on locals

Article states : "Businesses in Penticton are feeling the pinch after a lengthy closure of Highway 97 near Summerland and ongoing restrictions on large trucks using the Callan Road detour.

"It's almost like we've had a snow day for the last two weeks because the road has slid and nobody knows what to do," said Penticton and Wine Country Chamber of Commerce board director Daryl Clarke.

Trucks over 3.8 metres in width can only use the Callan Road detour around the rockslide site from midnight to 5 a.m. Otherwise, they are forced to use far longer service road detours."

What ! ? Penticton is really "feeling the pinch" delivery trucks cant' get through. 3.8 meters ? ??? Gee how wide is the average semi ?????

I checked 2.59 meters.

The article sounds like virtually no trucks are getting through, but when you check the facts, most trucks (the average semi) is just fine going through. I know the day I went through there were lots of semi's in the traffic going through.

What is this all about ???? Alarmist ???

I was also shaking my head in disbelief. I actually went to the MVA regs to reconfirm that the max width of any vehicle is 2.6 meters without an overwidth permit. Every semi truck that delivers groceries and goods to Penticton is at that 8ft 4 in. width. (2.6 meters)
The only people I can see impacted here is possibly manufactured housing, which won't collapse for a delivery date missed and the odd over width piece of heavy equipment or manufacturing item......all of which still have alternate routes.....and their frequency of need is certainly not going to collapse any local business.
So what in hades was this Henny Penny news article for besides scaring people into some kind fear mode to open wallets??
Darryl Clarke....explain your concern or be ashamed that no crisis really existed and just a name recognition thing for your next run at Civic Council. Am thinking this is the motivator and you have completely failed.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Legal truck width is 8 feet 6 inches or 2.6 metres. This is what every regular semi delivering goods will be and will have no travel restrictions on Callan Road.

3.8 metres is 12 feet 6 inches and requires a pilot car to haul loads that wide.

I guess you don't have to be informed about your subject in order to be writer.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

oldtrucker wrote:Someone mentioned that they don't feel safe on the bypass because they have a rear wheel drive. It's better for control to have rear wheel drive. When driving a automatic up or down steep icy hills, select manual mode if you have that option- use the transmission to hold you back rather than the brakes. If you lose it while downhill braking and it starts to slide, pop it in neutral to take off any remaining torque to your wheels and you will have 4 wheel even braking. Never push, just feather it. If you have the option to lose the ABS- do it...you can reach(and feel) the maximum friction break free point better than it.

If they don't feel safe on the Callan Rd bypass they shouldn't be driving at all. It's just the old highway. There are no steep hills, and it is parallel to the new highway.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

oldtrucker wrote:Someone mentioned that they don't feel safe on the bypass because they have a rear wheel drive. It's better for control to have rear wheel drive. When driving a automatic up or down steep icy hills, select manual mode if you have that option- use the transmission to hold you back rather than the brakes. If you lose it while downhill braking and it starts to slide, pop it in neutral to take off any remaining torque to your wheels and you will have 4 wheel even braking. Never push, just feather it. If you have the option to lose the ABS- do it...you can reach(and feel) the maximum friction break free point better than it.

Tony wrote:If they don't feel safe on the Callan Rd bypass they shouldn't be driving at all. It's just the old highway. There are no steep hills, and it is parallel to the new highway.

I believe the concern was for the FSR routes, not Callan Rd.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

pop it in to neutral :200: seriously omg
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

LTD wrote:
pop it in to neutral :200: seriously omg

OMG it all you want. Sorry but the advice is sage and correct. An auto transmission vehicle will still be applying torque to your drive wheels even with light application of brake pedal. This is particularly important if the vehicle is just two wheel drive, front or rear. Your brake application pressure will lock your non powered wheels before it locks the driven axle because engine torque is still trying to turn the driven axle.
Put the vehicle in neutral and you now have all four wheels braking equally rather than one axle locked and sliding and the other axle not and moving the vehicle in a direction dictated to what the remaining two turning wheels are pointed at that might be a bad outcome.
I drilled this simple driving technique into my wife and all children's heads as the simplest and most effective way to maintain steering and braking control on a sloped roadway. Slip it into neutral when the vehicle will roll with just gravity, check speed with light brake application(s). If steering axle locks, lift off brakes to regain steering direction.
This does not guarantee no collisions but if mastered, you will be the last car on the road to be in the ditch or crumpled with another.
There are nuances between front and rear wheel drive, going forward or backing up, and having your hand on the stick shift ready to apply power from neutral to the opposite direction of travel that can further improve crash avoidance. This part actually became obvious to all my family after they mastered just putting the dam car into neutral to take power off the drive wheels.

Return to “South Okanagan”