Speed Limits Downtown Penticton?

pentona
Übergod

Speed Limits Downtown Penticton?

Post by pentona »

Who the heck is behind this idiotic idea? Looking at the possibility of raising speed limits downtown? Good grief; even as it is now at 30kph many are doing 50, easily (especially from the 700 block down to where it narrows). Few realize that 30kph starts back before Pen High.

From the link below:
City staff have been asked (by WHOM?) to re-examine the issue of downtown speed limits that were lowered back in 2014, according to a report going before council next week.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... 9Ae0iEedYE
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Speed Limits Downtown Penticton?

Post by GordonH »

250 meters at 50 kms/per Hr = 18 seconds
250 meters at 30 kms/per Hr = 29 seconds

So few extra seconds of travel time isn't a big deal, so I say leave it at 30 Kms/per Hr.
As for enforcement install stationary photo radar camera's if it's a big deal.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I would like to know and I'm sure that others would as well, just WHO is requesting that the speed limit be looked at by council? The article did not mention any one person or organization; only those who are not in favour of raising it.

Let us hope that its not another lame brained idea of a senior staff member at City Hall? Don't most of them ride bicycles to work anyways? [icon_lol2.gif]

On second thought, I shouldn't be accusing City Hall senior staff of this; they were some of the ones wanting "bike lanes" on the main arteries; they would never be in favor of raising the speed limit for vehicles.
mrsh

Post by mrsh »

Drove downtown today and mentioned to my wife that “they” are considering going back to 50 km/h; we both agreed that there is absolutely no way that would be safe. Cars parked on both sides, crosswalks galore, a surprising number of pedestrians out on a cold and soggy evening...even at 30 km/h I’m having to stay very focused. I like to drive quickly and often think speed limits on are on the low side in BC, but anything above 30 km/h downtown is downright stupid.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Bunnyhop »

Sounds like a city staff “make work” project to me. Maybe a few staff have too much time on their hands so they’ll have a few meetings, shuffle a few papers, make a few calls only to conclude that no change is necessary.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Bunnyhop wrote:Sounds like a city staff “make work” project to me. Maybe a few staff have too much time on their hands so they’ll have a few meetings, shuffle a few papers, make a few calls only to conclude that no change is necessary.

I agree that it must be an internal, City Staff push to look at the speed limits downtown. Job justification, anyone? Lots of discussion on it on Social Media and few members of the public seem to favor any increase.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Everyone here is focusing on Main St and also Martin. If anyone asked for a speed limit review, I am of the mind that the question pertained more to the widely enhanced 30 km zone that IMHO, was a bit of overreach. Main and Martin can only be 30km now.
The expanded zone was really not needed.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I think you are correct, twobits. Because of the raised intersections at certain parts of the downtown core and the two-laning, there will be no changes made there. All the info is clarified on pages 57-60 of this City PDF document.:

https://www.penticton.ca/assets/Council ... ackage.pdf
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Lets take a trip down memory lane shall we: 2015
https://www.penticton.ca/assets/City~Ne ... limits.pdf

Now let's look at 2019: https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... ts-too-low

There is no way in hell I would change Main and Martin to more than 30k … they are both there to … well as our former mayor and company said in 2015 … to "enhance the pedestrian experience". Should Ellis be 50 or more? Wade? Nanaimo? Eckhardt? Lakeshore? I say NO. Has anyone driven downtown in the past week or so with all the snow? Between totally unaware pedestrian traffic to unaware people opening their passenger doors without checking to see if there is traffic coming or simply not giving a damn, to snow simply not being removed by work crews. I refuse to drive it. Try parking .. oops don't want to go there.

I too would like to know WHO requested a review?
ToddT
Übergod

Post by ToddT »

Ellis and Winnipeg should be back to 50 in my opinion.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

ToddT wrote:Ellis and Winnipeg should be back to 50 in my opinion.

I would NOT agree with Ellis going to 50; too many cross streets with lots of cars parked near the corners; accidents occur frequently when folks trying to cross Ellis (ie: Padmore, White, Wade). Winnipeg Street not so bad.
smoky500
Fledgling

Post by smoky500 »

How many people actually do go 30kph in those zones now? When I drive down Main at 30 the cars fly by.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Lets imagine no stop signs or traffic lights for moment, time travel from end to end of both Winnipeg St & Ellis St.

Winnipeg St (1.6 Km)
30 Km per/Hr = 3m 12s
50 Km per/Hr = 1m 55s

A difference 1m 17s
Of course once you add in stops & starts (stop signs or traffic lights) this number will change.

Ellis St (1.1 Kms)
30 Km per/Hr = 2m 12s
50 Km per/Hr = 1m 19s

A difference 53s
Of course once you add in stops & starts (stop signs or traffic lights) this number will change.

Drivers disobey speed limits anywhere you go.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

Now it finally comes out just WHO was behind this dumb idea in the first place. None other than Katie Robinson. Thankfully the rest of council saw the light and stuck with the status quo.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#249653
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

pentona wrote:Now it finally comes out just WHO was behind this dumb idea in the first place. None other than Katie Robinson. Thankfully the rest of council saw the light and stuck with the status quo.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#249653

Now they just need to deal with enforcement issues.

Return to “South Okanagan”