Smoking outside of Penticton Hospital!

twobits
Guru

Re: Smoking outside of Penticton Hospital!

Post by twobits »

Southy, is it a big enough issue to devote staff time to chasing the smokers away every ten minutes? It is just a policy. There is no fine if caught breaking the policy. IH staff would be the only ones facing any deterrent and I doubt very much the people blowin smoke your way are staff because of that consequence.
So what does IH do about Joe and Jane citizen who ignore policy and smoke outside on IH property?? Call the police is a choice but I am pretty sure the ciggy butt will be finished about 2 or 3 hrs before John Law rushes over to scold a smoker on IH lands.
What we have here is a policy that is difficult to enforce because it has little public support. Sparking a smoke inside the building and you have public support that would be like flies all over poop. One drag on that butt and 20 people would be all over that person. That is the deterrent. You have to get over this and understand that the majority of people are just very pleased that smokers are outdoors and not inside the building anymore. They just don't care where they are outside.....just that they ARE outside.
Take that win Southy and accept the reality that every once in a while, you might get a whiff. I doubt very much those encounters are going to shorten your life as much as the stress you are creating for yourself over this is going to.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Re: Smoking outside of Penticton Hospital!

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:Southy, is it a big enough issue to devote staff time to chasing the smokers away every ten minutes? It is just a policy. There is no fine if caught breaking the policy. IH staff would be the only ones facing any deterent and I doubt very much the people blowin smoke your way are staff because of that consequence.
So what does IH do about Joe and Jane citizen who ignore policy and smoke outside on IH property?? Call the police is a choice but I am pretty sure the ciggy butt will be finished about 2 or 3 hrs before John Law rushes over to scold a smoker on IH lands.
What we have here is a policy that is difficult to enforce because it has little public support. You have to get over this and understand that the majority of people are just very pleased that smokers are outdoors and not inside the building anymore.
Take that win Southy and accept the reality that every once in a while, you might get a whiff. I doubt very much those encounters are going to shorten your life as much as the stress you are creating for yourself over this is going to.

The policy has little public support? Huh? What have YOU been smoking? Pretty certain that the majority of the public is fully in favor of NO smoking, period in any public areas. Just look at how FEW restaurants or bars you can smoke in or near, these days. Times have changed and for the better. Might as well ignore the No Parking signs then or put money in the meter(think they won't enforce those?). Let the staff who smoke fund a small smoking area around back, out of site; endomundo of problemo.

Return to “South Okanagan”