RDOS eyeing Speedway

seewood
Guru

Re: RDOS eyeing Speedway

Post by seewood »

What I understand is rules and regulations may be the result of snafu's in the past. The governing authority does not want a repeat so standards are made and hopefully adhered to.

I truly hope the RDOS does not listen to BS and does make sure all buildings and structures over 100 ft2 meet current building codes. Also any building permit fees are paid.

The last thing I am is a builder but I went through the hoops. I found if you are on the up and up, the inspectors are very accommodating and helpful.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

If the RDOS is eyeing the Speedway for building infractions & permits it's because of complaints received & no matter if the owner has done everything to code & has every permit it doesn't matter, IMO it's doomed ?
The complaints will continue to keep coming in until the owner finally waves the white flag & gives up ?
The fact that the Penticton Speedway provides great fun entertainment means nothing to those who don't like it & with enough complaining they will get their way ?

Look at the Vernon Racetrack, there weren't many homes close by but noise complaints cause the owner an overload of grief ?
How many people remember going to Seattle International Raceway in 1964 to see the 64 Funny Cars running until after midnight ? Today large expensive homes have been built right next door & the track now has a 5:30 pm curfew ?
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

one wheel wrote:If the RDOS is eyeing the Speedway for building infractions & permits it's because of complaints received & no matter if the owner has done everything to code & has every permit...

But he hasn't and he doesn't. So the rest is speculation.
Just the facts ma'am.

If he gets up to code and meets all the requirements for his occupancy, then we'll see.

But if he's zoned correctly and compliant with all relevant codes and bylaws then he should have nothing to worry about and he can continue dispensing wholesome family fun.
I'd like to thank God for making me an atheist.
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

You don't read very well OllyV - I was implying that even if the Speedway was to meet & pass all building codes & obtained every permit required it's still doomed.
RandyDandy
Fledgling

Post by RandyDandy »

I'm beginning to think that the RDOS has too much time, money, staff and dillusions of self-importance to be allowed to continue in its present form. Yet another level of government, like Interior Health, victims of their own hubris. Taxpayer dollars yet again.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

RandyDandy wrote:I'm beginning to think that the RDOS has too much time, money, staff and dillusions of self-importance to be allowed to continue in its present form. Yet another level of government, like Interior Health, victims of their own hubris. Taxpayer dollars yet again.

Actually, building inspection out side of the City limits is one of RDOS' jobs. Yes, it's tax payer's dollars, because that's what funds RDOS. Would you rather they sit in their office all day and do nothing? If Johnny built buildings and bleachers on the grounds of the Speedway without permits, then he should be inspected and either approved (and in his words "all the buildings were built to code") so that shouldn't be a problem, and probably a light fine.

The rules are in place, and if you are planning on building, you should know the rules, they are there for a reason, ESPECIALLY in a place like the Speedway that is open to the public. If you don't want to follow the rules you can build anyway and accept the consequences if you get caught, or build anyway and hope you don't get caught. The danger of building without a permit and not getting caught, is if something happens to the building, maybe (and I say maybe because I'm not sure) your insurance doesn't cover it as the building wasn't built to code. Believe me, insurance companies will inspect everything to try to get out of paying out any damages.

It's a little bit like speeding on the highway. You know it's against the law, but you take the chance. Sometimes you get caught, and sometimes you don't. If you want to play, be prepared to pay.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

one wheel wrote:You don't read very well OllyV - I was implying that even if the Speedway was to meet & pass all building codes & obtained every permit required it's still doomed.

You don't read well... so, once again.

I got the implication, and addressed it. Speculation is useless. As I said, look at the facts.

It sounds like he currently is not compliant. Once he becomes compliant, as I said, we'll see. And, as I also said, anything else is speculation.

Facts matter. And the fact is, we don't what will happen if everything is up to code because we aren't there yet.

You can't shut him down if he is fully compliant with all codes, bylaws and zoning requirements.

Wow, it almost seems as if you read only what you wanted from my last post.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

RandyDandy wrote:I'm beginning to think that the RDOS has too much time, money, staff and dillusions of self-importance to be allowed to continue in its present form. Yet another level of government, like Interior Health, victims of their own hubris. Taxpayer dollars yet again.

And if a fire occurs and people die as a result of the structures not being compliant, you'll be one of the first on here to be saying, "Where was the RDOS? What do we pay them for? Another useless level of government not doing their job!"

This is them not being useless. Public safety with construction within their jurisdiction is literally one of their main concerns. It isn't hubris to enforce the laws and codes you are tasked with enforcing.

That would mean you are a "victim" of hubris when you do your job.
I think you need to look up the meaning of the word hubris.
OllyV
Board Meister

Post by OllyV »

Tony wrote:The danger of building without a permit and not getting caught, is if something happens to the building, maybe (and I say maybe because I'm not sure) your insurance doesn't cover it as the building wasn't built to code. Believe me, insurance companies will inspect everything to try to get out of paying out any damages.

You are exactly right Tony. These codes and bylaws are in place to protect the owner as well as the public.

He is only ensuring that the speedway actually is "doomed" if, god forbid, something was to happen. By circumventing the rules he puts himself, his business and the public at risk. He may be criminally liable for whatever damages may occur. Which, in the place of public assembly business, can often be death of your patrons.

As I said before, if you want to make money off the members of a society, you need to follow the rules put in place for that society. He seems happy to take the money, just not so happy to ensure the safety of his patrons.

It is so bizarre that people would defend that rather than be appalled by it. The world is a strange place these days.

Return to “South Okanagan”