Flashy copper = easy pickings

Re: Flashy copper = easy pickings

Postby twobits » Apr 30th, 2019, 7:00 pm

southy wrote:You really have to wonder who makes these decisions and better yet who signs off on payment without questioning. Our money at work once again. Can't wait till this group of idiots is voted out once and for all.

Who makes the decisions? BC Housing Authority of course. The same ones that justified the expense of all acid etched tempered glass office walls at their renovated new space on Winnipeg St instead of drywall like most of us taxpaying dummies have.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby Brushy Bill » May 2nd, 2019, 6:38 am

Gov't contracts and building contractors wringing their hands while lining their pockets
its the norm
Brushy Bill
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby SouthernOkanagan » Jun 19th, 2019, 8:01 am

I think this story is absolutely hilarious!

He stole the pipe from a building that's supposed to help people like himself get off the streets!

There's truly no honor among thieves!

Lol! :D :biggrin:

Country plough boy likes this post.
SouthernOkanagan

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby the truth » Jun 19th, 2019, 9:04 am

SouthernOkanagan wrote:I think this story is absolutely hilarious!

He stole the pipe from a building that's supposed to help people like himself get off the streets!

There's truly no honor among thieves!

Lol! :D :biggrin:

just goes to show what waste of skin they are
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7688 posts

Postby twobits » Jun 19th, 2019, 7:35 pm

the truth wrote:

just goes to show what waste of skin they are

As well as how stupid our gov't funded design and tendering process is! Seriously.....copper downspouts are high end items. How did this get past plan approval stage for subsidized housing? My guess would be architects getting a percentage of permit value and bureaucrats vetting the plans that are too incompetent to ask why copper and not aluminum at 20% of the cost.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby fluffy » Jun 21st, 2019, 7:39 am

twobits wrote:As well as how stupid our gov't funded design and tendering process is! Seriously.....copper downspouts are high end items. How did this get past plan approval stage for subsidized housing?

Very good questions. Especially so when the downspouts in question are accessible from the ground, low hanging fruit for someone with an constant eye out for opportunity.

There is little respect for public money once it leaves the taxpayers' pockets. Gov't employees, contractors, even our elected officials have come to see gov't money as easy money. Architects are all about making an artistic statement with other peoples' money, they'll go with "pretty" given the opportunity, and the bureaucrats involved can easily be seduced by the same thing. What has been lost here is some responsibility on the parts of all involved to spend my money wisely.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

twobits likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4392 posts

Postby my5cents » Jun 21st, 2019, 7:58 am

Why would a reputable company that buys scrap metal buy a piece, such as is depicted, from a street person ? Isn't it time we also curbed the destination of the stolen property ? RCMP must have well developed shoulder muscles from shrugging them.

If there isn't some criteria plus a law to insure scrap buyers check the origin of goods they buy and the person selling same there should be, then undercover stings to make sure the buyers comply.

No market for stolen property, no thefts.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

the truth likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1685 posts

Postby fluffy » Jun 21st, 2019, 8:05 am

I think they have tightened up on that already, but if a disreputable "re-cycler" finds a disreputable scrap dealer what can you do? The cost to police a problem like that could easily be more than the problem itself costs. Let's not forget that the same level of " gov't money is easy-money" exists within regulatory bodies of almost all descriptions.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby my5cents » Jun 21st, 2019, 8:23 am

fluffy wrote:I think they have tightened up on that already, but if a disreputable "re-cycler" finds a disreputable scrap dealer what can you do? The cost to police a problem like that could easily be more than the problem itself costs. Let's not forget that the same level of " gov't money is easy-money" exists within regulatory bodies of almost all descriptions.

You dress a cop up as a street person and take in some "junk" that is obviously stolen, when the scrap buyer pays for it, they are charged, their business license is revoked, one less "fence" in the community. There's not that many.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Postby fluffy » Jun 21st, 2019, 9:53 am

my5cents wrote:You dress a cop up as a street person and take in some "junk" that is obviously stolen, when the scrap buyer pays for it, they are charged, their business license is revoked, one less "fence" in the community. There's not that many.

Sounds good on the surface, but we still have pawn shops all over the place and you'll never convince me that these places don't deal in stolen goods. If it was easy then we wouldn't have the problem.

But on the other hand, our friend in the article may not have thought things through, at least not at any length past "Hey, copper is worth something, isn't it?" A specialty item like that, in brand new condition, may have been a little harder to convert to cash than buddy may have thought. An addict doesn't put much thought into the long game, but that's a whole different discussion.

Back to the topic, I think we're all in agreement that copper downspouts in a grab-'n-go location was not the best plan. Somebody at BC Housing, maybe a bunch of them, needs a reality check.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby soupy » Jun 21st, 2019, 11:01 am

And unfortunately much of these costs are going indirectly to companies / businesses.
ie. secure storage, hiring security guards for sites at night etc etc.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 784 posts

Postby my5cents » Jun 21st, 2019, 12:39 pm

fluffy wrote:
my5cents wrote:You dress a cop up as a street person and take in some "junk" that is obviously stolen, when the scrap buyer pays for it, they are charged, their business license is revoked, one less "fence" in the community. There's not that many.

Sounds good on the surface, but we still have pawn shops all over the place and you'll never convince me that these places don't deal in stolen goods. If it was easy then we wouldn't have the problem...………….

Well the principle is this....

Lot's of stolen property is sold privately, a guy outside a bar sells electronics, cigarettes, etc... Very hard for police to be everywhere.

Note : Anyone who buys stolen property is guilty of possession of stolen property. A guy is selling a $1000 of goods for $250, outside a bar, you are buying stolen property. Buying it pretending "gee I didn't know it was stolen", is called "wilful blindness".

But, metal, for example isn't sold outside a bar "hey buddy, want to by a 15 foot 3 inch diameter copper pipe ???" That type of item is sold to a commercial scrap buyers and yes, depending on what is sold, a pawn shop. Still they are all identifiable, they have business licenses, addresses etc.

Either the police attempt and fail to patrol each and every property in the area or check out the destinations of the stolen property. You shut the destination down and there is no reason for the crooks to steal that type of property.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Postby Hassel99 » Jun 21st, 2019, 12:46 pm

A lot of the time construction material is stolen to fill an order.

I would check other projects in the okanagan, more likely they are installed elsewhere rather than sold for scrap.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3401 posts

Postby fluffy » Jun 22nd, 2019, 10:53 am

Hassel99 wrote:A lot of the time construction material is stolen to fill an order.

I would check other projects in the okanagan, more likely they are installed elsewhere rather than sold for scrap.

Having spent a few years in construction I can agree that there is a network in place for stolen building materials, but I doubt some poor soul living out of a shopping cart is going to be a part of anything like that. I'll bet you lunch he wasn't thinking past copper=money.

As far as policing pawn shops and scrap yards, a few well placed prosecutions would go a long way to keeping them in line, but in the end a crook is a crook and easy money has an attraction all its own.

If there is any blame to be placed here it's on poorly thought out design and poorly thought through approval. How much time can we expect police to put into saving people from their own stupidity?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Postby my5cents » Jun 22nd, 2019, 11:25 am

fluffy wrote:Having spent a few years in construction I can agree that there is a network in place for stolen building materials, but I doubt some poor soul living out of a shopping cart is going to be a part of anything like that. I'll bet you lunch he wasn't thinking past copper=money.

As far as policing pawn shops and scrap yards, a few well placed prosecutions would go a long way to keeping them in line, but in the end a crook is a crook and easy money has an attraction all its own.

If there is any blame to be placed here it's on poorly thought out design and poorly thought through approval. How much time can we expect police to put into saving people from their own stupidity?

I agree with you that this type of theft isn't organized to the extent it was a theft to order. This was a crime of opportunity with no planning except steal and sell.

As for scrap yards and pawn shops, not only are there charges available but also business licenses.

In large cities they have strict rules governing the purchase of scrap and pawning of goods, easier to enforce those rules than Criminal Code laws, with the hammer being loss of ability to conduct business.

I have to disagree with you on the position that police shouldn't have to "save people from there own stupidity", in other words putting expensive down spouts on a building is asking for trouble.

Do we criticize people for owning an expensive vehicle, or having expensive possession in their home that could attract burglars ?
my5cents
Lord of the Board

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan