Osoyoos border crossing

Osoyoos border crossing

Postby Queen K » May 1st, 2019, 5:36 pm

For all the times I have crossed the border, I do not recall if there is a way to go in to the Canadian side and have a chat regarding questions.

My question is about the draconian change to the dairy allowance.

Nowadays, due to trade wars, Canadians aren't allowed to bring back more than $20 worth, milk, cheese, yogurt. That is what the friendly border guard told us, we could be on the hook for paying hundreds of dolllars worth in taxes if we do.

I KNOW what border services says on their website, but what I want to know, is it being strictly enforced? Has anyone ended up paying big bucks for Tilamook Pepper Jack when it's over $20 worth?

Or is there a loosy goosey feel to the wording?

Dairy products (e.g.: cheese, milk, yogurt, butter)
up to 20 kilograms per person
Please note that quantities in excess of $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty. The CBSA is responsible for determining customs and duties for items coming into Canada.

How the :cuss: are you getting up to 20 kilograms person for $20 or under? Has anyone been hit with the "high rate of duty" yet? :135:
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15468 posts

Re: Osoyoos border crossing

Postby TreeGuy » May 1st, 2019, 5:45 pm

We walked into the Canadian border office there once and they were quite concerned with where we had come from. We parked up just outside of the area on the Canadian side and walked in as there was no place to drive up. We wanted to know about taking our dog across the border for future reference. They didn't like us coming in there.

voice of reason likes this post.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3647 posts

Postby Queen K » May 1st, 2019, 5:49 pm

How is it we can't go in to talk to them?

What if someone wants to clarify this dairy thing?

Anyone ever try this number and actually get answers?

+1 800-461-9999
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby TreeGuy » May 1st, 2019, 6:12 pm

I marked the spot where we parked on the photo with a yellow P with a circle around it. That is as close to the border that you can drive up to without crossing. I thought nothing of it at the time but they sure didn't appreciate it.

Even if you could walk in there and talk to someone, I wouldn't take their word for it. It seems there is much discretion left up to the individual guards. They would not give us a definitive answer to our question.

If you do go in please do us a favour and cause a bit of commotion. The Border Security TV show needs some new material.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 6.04.52 PM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Country plough boy likes this post.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3647 posts

Postby polelady » May 1st, 2019, 6:34 pm

If the posting is correct.. 20 kg per person is 44 lbs so say a couple that is 88lbs of dairy products... you best take a freezer bag.. or more...
And yes they do not make it easy to walk over and ask questions.. the best is the website and or phone... I have phoned on a few occasions.. and very polite and helpful...
Good luck... nothing is easy these days... !
polelady

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby Queen K » May 1st, 2019, 7:15 pm

Yes, call. I think that would work.

Treeguy, no commotion will be made,your tv show will be boring, we're calm, cool collected, what can go wrong? :up:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby Catsumi » May 1st, 2019, 7:26 pm

Let's make this simple as possible.

I have only ONE trip this year to USA. 48 hours.

I am entitled to bring back to Canada $800.00 (USD converted to CDN peso)

For my own personal use, how much of that can be dairy? Example above very strange: 20 kgs could cost 800.oo or 200.00, so does it go by weight, dollar amount or a specific portion of the spending, such as 10 or 20% of total spent? How did something that used to be so simple turn into a Rubics cube puzzle?

I do not like that "may be subject to a tax or penalty at discretion of officer". Very waffly and uncertain in meaning.

Either it is or it isn't, so need a clear, concise answer.

Or is that just not possible anymore in this country gone mad?? :biggrin:
Last edited by Catsumi on May 1st, 2019, 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 5962 posts

Postby WalterWhite » May 1st, 2019, 7:39 pm

Queen K wrote:Yes, call. I think that would work.

Treeguy, no commotion will be made,your tv show will be boring, we're calm, cool collected, what can go wrong? :up:

Lol - it’s always the quiet ones.......
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby MAPearce » May 1st, 2019, 8:08 pm

DON'T go to the Osoyoos border crossing and drive up to the US customs officers in search of an I 190 waiver form ..

They have NO sense of humour....
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4864 posts

Postby Catsumi » May 1st, 2019, 8:23 pm

You totally misunderstood. Please read my post again.

I want to get a straight answer coming back from USA so the issue is with Cdn customs.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 5962 posts

Postby MAPearce » May 1st, 2019, 8:33 pm

Catsumi wrote:You totally misunderstood. Please read my post again.

I want to get a straight answer coming back from USA so the issue is with Cdn customs.

Oh ...

They saved my a$$ .. Same with Grand Forks..

But , I did finish all the beer I bought at those gas stations for really cheap AND I wasn't drivin .

Or is that just not possible anymore in this country gone mad?? :biggrin:

I do believe that you've answered your own question .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4864 posts

Postby GraceD » May 1st, 2019, 10:23 pm

Weird they would get upset with someone going into the building. How do you get the card where you can declare your valuables you are taking to the US and have them stamp it? That way you don't have the hassle of them wondering if you bought it in the US when you come back. I used to get them to check out my camera and accessories, jewelery etc and they would have it listed and stamped. No issues. I have a relative that goes across the border all the time for day trips and brings back way more than 20 bucks worth of cheese and she isn't hit with duties. Depends who is on the booth that day I guess.
GraceD

Liked in: 38 posts

Postby Bsuds » May 2nd, 2019, 6:59 am

Catsumi wrote:You totally misunderstood. Please read my post again.

You are only allowed $20cdn worth of dairy each time you cross. End of story. If you go slightly over they don't much care.

We cross several times each year and if we are staying in our RV near the Border we will go down daily to stock up on Tillamook.

The $800 is a total but there are limits on certain items like Dairy and some things that you can't bring back so you need to know what those are before you cross. It can change from day to day as well.

If you shop at what was Prince's they have the limits marked on their produce of each item.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

neighbor likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13008 posts

Postby Centurion » May 2nd, 2019, 8:43 am

I made the mistake of entering Canada over the dairy limit and I was given the option of paying the tax and duty (tripled the price) or surrendering the excess amount to the Crown, I chose the latter. Government Canada doesn't fool around when it comes to protecting the dairy cartel .

Country plough boy likes this post.
Centurion
Board Meister

Liked in: 131 posts

Postby my5cents » May 2nd, 2019, 9:59 am

I have always been frustrated by the composition of the regulations and the measurement.

Has anyone seen a clear concise list ?

If you want people to obey rules, outline them clearly in measurements that are understandable and measurable for the person.

I "love" the fact the government specifies the amount of milk that can be brought in by weight. When's the last time you purchased a kg of milk at the store ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

2 people like this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1689 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan