Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us informed!

Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us informed!

Postby SouthernOkanagan » May 11th, 2019, 7:49 pm

I'm saddened to see the Penticton news story here on Castanet regarding multiple Blue Heron deaths in and around the Penticton River Channel areas.

If the original reporter of the story gets more details, or anyone for that matter I'd love to be kept informed about it.
I've also taken alot of photos of Blue Herons in the area and love them a great deal, I sure hope nobody has done this purposely, i.e. shooting or poisoning them.
I understand accidental poisoning could have happened, by people putting out mice poison and the mice making their way to the Herons, but that should also be preventable.
Anyways, any more information would be awesome, thanks for reading this.

Best regards, D.

(I can be messaged here by private message, be sure to leave your email address so we can discuss, just click the PM link by my name to the left of this post, or click PM directly from my profile by clicking my "SouthernOkanagan" name link, thanks again.)
SouthernOkanagan
 
Posts: 32
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 16 posts
Joined: Dec 12th, 2017, 2:17 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Fancy » May 11th, 2019, 8:01 pm

SouthernOkanagan wrote:I understand accidental poisoning could have happened, by people putting out mice poison and the mice making their way to the Herons, but that should also be preventable

It won't be preventable as long as the poison is available to purchase.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49127
Likes: 1468 posts
Liked in: 7601 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Catsumi » May 12th, 2019, 7:36 pm

A rough idea of how many herons have died, S-OK?

In Vernon last year nests and nestlings were blown out of the trees in a hurricane-like sudden windstorm. At least 30 baby herons were killed.

Nothing that could have prevented that tragedy. I am fond of these shy, majestic birds and am interested in explanation of Penticton deaths.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)

Fancy likes this post.
User avatar
Catsumi
Moderator
 
Posts: 6290
Likes: 6446 posts
Liked in: 5923 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Fancy » May 12th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Me too - it's horrible to think of these beautiful birds dying like that.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49127
Likes: 1468 posts
Liked in: 7601 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Fancy » May 12th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Catsumi likes this post.
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49127
Likes: 1468 posts
Liked in: 7601 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Catsumi » May 13th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Thanks for link, Fancy.

Horrible to come across dead herons. I hope we get to the cause of these deaths, soon.

I suspect the sample was sent by Canada Post which would account for its degraded state upon arrival at lab for testing. Courier service might be the answer for sending biological materials, ice pack surrounding sample in sterile capped tubes, if possible.
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
User avatar
Catsumi
Moderator
 
Posts: 6290
Likes: 6446 posts
Liked in: 5923 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby gman313 » May 14th, 2019, 8:52 am

SouthernOkanagan wrote:I'm saddened to see the Penticton news story here on Castanet regarding multiple Blue Heron deaths in and around the Penticton River Channel areas.

If the original reporter of the story gets more details, or anyone for that matter I'd love to be kept informed about it.
I've also taken alot of photos of Blue Herons in the area and love them a great deal, I sure hope nobody has done this purposely, i.e. shooting or poisoning them.
I understand accidental poisoning could have happened, by people putting out mice poison and the mice making their way to the Herons, but that should also be preventable.
Anyways, any more information would be awesome, thanks for reading this.

Best regards, D.

(I can be messaged here by private message, be sure to leave your email address so we can discuss, just click the PM link by my name to the left of this post, or click PM directly from my profile by clicking my "SouthernOkanagan" name link, thanks again.)


wow entitled much. Get off your butt and do something about it instead of demanding updates so you can sleep at night lol.
gman313
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3273
Likes: 1521 posts
Liked in: 1753 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Fancy » May 14th, 2019, 12:36 pm

gman313 wrote:wow entitled much. Get off your butt and do something about it instead of demanding updates so you can sleep at night lol.

??? No entitlement in a polite request to be kept informed. What exactly do you think any poster can do about the deaths?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49127
Likes: 1468 posts
Liked in: 7601 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby gman313 » May 14th, 2019, 2:44 pm

demanding to be notified about the results just gets in the way of helping.

either get out and help, or leave it alone
gman313
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3273
Likes: 1521 posts
Liked in: 1753 posts
Joined: Sep 15th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Fancy » May 14th, 2019, 5:14 pm

If the original reporter of the story gets more details, or anyone for that matter I'd love to be kept informed about it.

That's NOT a demand, nor is it getting in the way of helping. And what results? I think you're confused as to what happened.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
User avatar
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim
 
Posts: 49127
Likes: 1468 posts
Liked in: 7601 posts
Joined: Apr 15th, 2006, 6:23 pm

Re: Penticton Great Blue Heron deaths.. please keep us infor

Postby Catsumi » May 14th, 2019, 6:34 pm

C'mon Fancy. You know damn well you held a gun to OPs head and DEMANDED info, now, or else!!

Or, was it the other way around?


:biggrin:
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)

Fancy likes this post.
User avatar
Catsumi
Moderator
 
Posts: 6290
Likes: 6446 posts
Liked in: 5923 posts
Joined: May 24th, 2017, 8:26 pm


Return to South Okanagan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 0 guests