Crime, drugs on camera

Crime, drugs on camera

Postby Anonymous123 » May 26th, 2019, 6:53 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/257096/Crime-drugs-on-camera

Kudos to this gentleman for taking steps to curb illegal activity around his workplace. Does he have to put up “ This Area Under Video Surveillance “ signs?
We See
We Judge

4 people like this post.
Anonymous123
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1638 posts

Re: Crime, drugs on camera

Postby polelady » May 26th, 2019, 8:16 am

Right on ... we as the public have to do something... and this is a start... !!!
Would be nice if some type of media.. has a weekly listings... for us to view... something like " On Cam Stoppers" lol
Of course this will be blasted out of the water because of "Privacy" BS... if your breaking the law... smile on CAMERA !

Iamme likes this post.
polelady

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby southy » May 26th, 2019, 8:41 am

Anonymous123 wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/257096/Crime-drugs-on-camera

Kudos to this gentleman for taking steps to curb illegal activity around his workplace. Does he have to put up “ This Area Under Video Surveillance “ signs?

I doubt it. My guess would be the city already put up signs without him knowing :biggrin:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#257083

You know like the "city jumps gun on signage" story ...
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 989 posts

Postby Mike Br. » May 26th, 2019, 8:43 am

The craziest thing is, the city wants to enforce the recent “no sit-on-sidewalks” bylaw with $100 fines. How do you collect any money from these people, let alone $100?
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 678 posts

Postby southy » May 26th, 2019, 9:42 am

In the cities case .. You charge them and take them to court. They are then told to pay fine and ordered to do x amount of hours in community work. When that doesn't work. The city then spends more money and takes them back to court to start the same dance all over again. We're still watching the Paul movie right?
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby southy » May 26th, 2019, 9:55 am

polelady wrote:Right on ... we as the public have to do something... and this is a start... !!!
Would be nice if some type of media.. has a weekly listings... for us to view... something like " On Cam Stoppers" lol
Of course this will be blasted out of the water because of "Privacy" BS... if your breaking the law... smile on CAMERA !

Not going to blast you .. But need to ask you how is this all going to resolve the issue? These people don't care if their pictures are posted. They are addicts and their only concern is their next fix. This is a major problem across the country not just here in Penticton. It will take creative thought - understanding - major funding from all levels of government and yes some empathy. Why has this issue become so large? Why are these people taking their own lives on a daily basis? Where is the medical community in all of this? City hall obviously doesn't have the fix and I wish they would stop playing their stupid political games. People simply are not that naive to not see what the brain trust at city hall are doing or more importantly not doing. I'm not going to point fingers at mayor and council (yet) I would like to know who the individuals are behind the desks that conceptual some of this *bleep*. It is beyond belief. Notice I didn't mention RCMP ...
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby seewood » May 26th, 2019, 11:39 am

Might be a first step in making it important to do something about this issue downtown. I wouldn't be surprised, if allowed, to see these clips on the news at six and perhaps even nationally.
Just perhaps some shaming on the government to help those that want it, to stop studying the problem and get on with some positive steps. Treatment centers?
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1615 posts

Postby Iamme » May 26th, 2019, 5:29 pm

Excellent letter. I feel her anger and frustration. I live in Vernon and it’s the same here and in every community. When or how does this insanity and assault on tax paying residents and business owners end? Clearly throwing good money after bad does f :swear: k all. Wake up those in Government and Health Authorities that actually have the power to make change. We are being held hostage here and going from bad to worse in the last few years flushing our tax dollars down the drain or allowing our tax dollars go up their vein :swear:

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#257025

blueliner likes this post.
Iamme
Fledgling

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby twobits » May 26th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Anonymous123 wrote: Does he have to put up “ This Area Under Video Surveillance “ signs?

No he does not. It is not illegal to take a picture of, or video anybody in a public space. If someone video tapes a criminal activity and turns it over to police, there would be no repercussions for doing so. Dash cam video requests by john law are perfect examples.
Video evidence might actually be a large part of a solution to this issue. Cockroaches never like the light turned on to them and Govt's are hesitant to deploy such measures because of ultra liberal wingnuts protests over privacy rights. Private property owners can't be painted with that "big brother" brush however.
These cockroaches committing crimes need the light turned onto them wherever they go so they are afraid of more than the 1 in 100 chance that john law will come around the corner and catch them in the act.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby Mike Br. » May 27th, 2019, 10:35 am

twobits wrote:Video evidence might actually be a large part of a solution to this issue. ...

I wholeheatedly agree! Install 24/7 video surveillance, and feed the live footage to a giant screen, mounted in the middle of the square, so that everyone can see it, including themselves (smile!). That's all cheap nowadays. They would disperse in no time flat, never to come back. If I were the owner of that bakery, I would do it myself, instead of waiting for the clueless city to do something.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby southy » May 27th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Not trying to burst your bubble, however, you can purchase your cameras and video screen (at what amount?) and then you will have to purchase another camera and video screen when they move up the block or down the block. And then you will have to purchase another camera and screen for when they end up in Gyro Park. And then when you move them from there, you will have to purchase another camera and screen and put in the back alley between Main and Martin … and oh yea … when they move over to the alley way between Main and Ellis .,. more cameras. Get what I'm saying. This is not an isolated incident. It is city wide. It does not address the "PROBLEM". It's like putting a small band aid on a 6 inch cut requiring stitches. It doesn't stop it.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby twobits » May 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm

southy wrote:Not trying to burst your bubble, however, you can purchase your cameras and video screen (at what amount?) and then you will have to purchase another camera and video screen when they move up the block or down the block. And then you will have to purchase another camera and screen for when they end up in Gyro Park. And then when you move them from there, you will have to purchase another camera and screen and put in the back alley between Main and Martin … and oh yea … when they move over to the alley way between Main and Ellis .,. more cameras. Get what I'm saying. This is not an isolated incident. It is city wide. It does not address the "PROBLEM". It's like putting a small band aid on a 6 inch cut requiring stitches. It doesn't stop it.

And as a business owner whose livelihood is being jeopardized by vagrants and drug dealers out front.....ya, you bet I would buy some camera's and a big screen TV for public consumption as well as the people being videoed to see themselves if it meant they moved on to another location. Then that location could do the same until these cretans finally realized there was no place to go where they were not being viewed.
Seems like a much cheaper and effective motivator than City Bylaw and pro bono Paul Braun lawyers have managed to do.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

2 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby seewood » May 27th, 2019, 8:28 pm

^^^^ I think you are onto something. Why can't a property owner hang a tv screen to the outside of their building? Other than it would likely be stolen within a couple of nights...
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Mike Br. likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1615 posts

Postby twobits » May 28th, 2019, 6:59 pm

seewood wrote:^^^^ I think you are onto something. Why can't a property owner hang a tv screen to the outside of their building? Other than it would likely be stolen within a couple of nights...

Mount it 12 feet high with a lexan plastic shield for thrown objects. Crackheads don't own or carry ladders to commit petty theft. Aluminum is worth more than a buck a pound.

Mike Br. likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby Mike Br. » May 28th, 2019, 7:18 pm

twobits wrote:Crackheads don't own or carry ladders to commit petty theft. Aluminum is worth more than a buck a pound.

They are usually too wobbly to climb stairs, let alone ladders.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Next

Return to South Okanagan