13 year old girl run over by car!?

Re: 13 year old girl run over by car!?

Postby GordonH » Jun 10th, 2019, 11:25 am

Big city issues now spreading, parents in big cities have been teaching there children how to deal safely with junkies for years now.
I guess maybe some of those parents should come to the BC interior and teach these lessons to parents & children.

I hope this child has a full recovery both physically and mentally/emotionally.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 10th, 2019, 11:27 am

I hate that the world is an unsafe place.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

GordonH likes this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4569 posts

Postby GordonH » Jun 10th, 2019, 11:30 am

kgcayenne wrote:I hate that the world is an unsafe place.

Unfortunately it is the new reality.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 10th, 2019, 11:31 am

It is. I learned this early in life right here in the Okanagan in the 80s.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4569 posts

Postby LTD » Jun 10th, 2019, 6:08 pm

Mike Br. wrote:
LTD wrote:... im not downplaying the junkies by the underpass problem, but ...

But, you are! And that's actually a key factor contributing to the accident. She run across the road in panic. That's when rational behavior takes the back seat. It's also called adrenaline rush.

no actually im not, SHE decided to go that way they weren't chasing her or threatening her she simply failed to look both ways when deciding to go that way, of course plastering it all over the news and social media is an excellent way to get some action on the junkie issues as well

Hassel99 likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3816 posts

Postby southy » Jun 10th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Unfortunate incident for sure. But I'm with you LTD .. Playing the blame card seems easier than actually finding solutions to the problem. Just look at how much time and money has been invested by city hall. Solutions? Oh yea no sitting or lying on downtown street bylaw. Yup - ok.

LTD likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 989 posts

Postby Iamme » Jun 10th, 2019, 7:44 pm

But, you are! And that's actually a key factor contributing to the accident. She run across the road in panic. That's when rational behavior takes the back seat. It's also called adrenaline rush.[/quote]
no actually im not, SHE decided to go that way they weren't chasing her or threatening her she simply failed to look both ways when deciding to go that way, of course plastering it all over the news and social media is an excellent way to get some action on the junkie issues as well[/quote]

Wow. LTD. Just wow. I’m a confident 56 year old woman in good shape and have run into issues like these just walking down the street over the years. Yeah, I avoid anything I see as ‘uncomfortable’ and will do everything I have to, to avoid confrontation and personal attack. I’ve learned this over the years. When I was 13, Clifford Olsen followed me in his vehicle and I’ll never forget that and how frightening it was. Do you want me to describe it? I still remember. Back to this young girl, throw drug addicts into the mix going nuts, hell ya, I’d take off from that scenario no matter what. You have no idea what was going through her mind. I hope she can move past this. Physically AND mentally. Don’t judge until you live it.

2 people like this post.
Iamme
Fledgling

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby rustled » Jun 10th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Iamme wrote:Wow. LTD. Just wow. I’m a confident 56 year old woman in good shape and have run into issues like these just walking down the street over the years. Yeah, I avoid anything I see as ‘uncomfortable’ and will do everything I have to, to avoid confrontation and personal attack. I’ve learned this over the years. When I was 13, Clifford Olsen followed me in his vehicle and I’ll never forget that and how frightening it was. Do you want me to describe it? I still remember. Back to this young girl, throw drug addicts into the mix going nuts, hell ya, I’d take off from that scenario no matter what. You have no idea what was going through her mind. I hope she can move past this. Physically AND mentally. Don’t judge until you live it.

:up:
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 9786 posts

Postby LTD » Jun 10th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Wow. LTD. Just wow. I’m a confident 56 year old woman in good shape and have run into issues like these just walking down the street over the years. Yeah, I avoid anything I see as ‘uncomfortable’ and will do everything I have to, to avoid confrontation and personal attack. I’ve learned this over the years. When I was 13, Clifford Olsen followed me in his vehicle and I’ll never forget that and how frightening it was. Do you want me to describe it? I still remember. Back to this young girl, throw drug addicts into the mix going nuts, hell ya, I’d take off from that scenario no matter what. You have no idea what was going through her mind. I hope she can move past this. Physically AND mentally. Don’t judge until you live it.

oh please, give it a rest with the mellow dramatic stuff she wasn't chased into traffic and very easily could have walked down the road to the traffic light. Just out of curiosity would you feel the same way if one of the junkies didn't want to use the under pass because three cops were there and got hit crossing the road. I hope she gets past it to more importantly I hope she learns to look both ways before crossing the street, I also hope the person that hit her gets past it .

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3816 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jun 10th, 2019, 8:56 pm

These people are not actively threatening anyone, though. Their presence on the walking paths through green spaces and underpasses simply presents a potential threat, and people are unsure what to do. A kid in a hurry won't necessarily make good choices.

Please tell me you're kidding. No one needs to have to engage with :cuss: tards who choose to make an underpass their home. which, by the way, they're not legally allowed to do. And you seem to think that a kid should have to decide whether it's safe to pass said :cuss: tards in order to get home like it's OK? It's not OK.

Let's you and me take a walk through some of these deep dark places and try to imagine what a 13 year old girl might be thinking. Stop making excuses for these skid marks. I'll do it. Will you?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

2 people like this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4352 posts

Postby Iamme » Jun 10th, 2019, 9:35 pm

LTD wrote:

oh please, give it a rest with the mellow dramatic stuff she wasn't chased into traffic and very easily could have walked down the road to the traffic light. Just out of curiosity would you feel the same way if one of the junkies didn't want to use the under pass because three cops were there and got hit crossing the road. I hope she gets past it to more importantly I hope she learns to look both ways before crossing the street, I also hope the person that hit her gets past it .

It seems the addicts don’t care about anyone or society in general, so I would probably shrug it off now in light of the never ending gong show stories relating to the epidemic. I used to have compassion but that’s waning now. It’s only getting worse and quite honestly I’m mad as hell that it’s gotten this out of control. Unless you’re living in a bubble, you’d realize this. Let me ask you this, if this kid was your kid, and hit by a vehicle because of fear from the unknown behaviour of an addict, how would you feel? I know how I’d feel.

rustled likes this post.
Iamme
Fledgling

Liked in: 116 posts

Postby Tony » Jun 11th, 2019, 6:23 am

Mike Br. wrote:
LTD wrote:... im not downplaying the junkies by the underpass problem, but ...

But, you are! And that's actually a key factor contributing to the accident. She run across the road in panic. That's when rational behavior takes the back seat. It's also called adrenaline rush.

Actually, the story says "she thought she'd try her luck at crossing the street". No where does it say she "run across the road in a panic". She wasn't running either, she was on a bike. She very easily could have gone to the closest crosswalk, waited for the light and crossed, but she thought she'd try her luck at crossing the street. As nasty as it is, she wasn't seriously hurt, and that's a good thing. The driver has to live with the fact that they hit a kid, and that will take some time to heal.

The junkies may or may not be aware of what happened, but no where in this story does it say that they approached her, threatened her or even talked to her. I get it, the junkies (and that's a supposition) she saw homeless people in the underpass, and, being 13, she could have assumed they were junkies... who knows, we weren't there.

4 people like this post.
Tony
Übergod

Liked in: 425 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Jun 11th, 2019, 6:46 am

There was no panic, there was no emergency.
A kid failed to look both ways and now is trying to look less silly by saying people just existing scared her.

Look both ways next time and don’t try and beat traffic with “luck”

4 people like this post.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3401 posts

Postby JagXKR » Jun 11th, 2019, 7:51 am

Judge Judy:
You know how I can tell if a 17-year-old girl is lying? When her mouth moves.

Substitute 13 for 17.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

Hassel99 likes this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1694 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jun 11th, 2019, 11:06 am

GordonH wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:I hate that the world is an unsafe place.

Unfortunately it is the new reality.

The world has always been an unsafe place, nothing's changed.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4217 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan