13 year old girl run over by car!?

Re: 13 year old girl run over by car!?

Postby gman313 » Jun 11th, 2019, 11:21 am

kgcayenne wrote:Every kid has a cell phone these days. I hope other children call someone for assistance. I would certainly hope police are available to help a 13 yr old girl feeling threatened.

WRONG

my 13 year old doesn't. Cell phones are detrimental to the well being of children. Especially smart phones

So not every kid has one
gman313
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1760 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jun 11th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Hmmmmm. wonder what a 13 year old in the year 2019 without a cell phone thinks about her parents?

While I commend you for your determination, I actually would not have believed that there is a 13 year old in North America who doesn't have a cell phone.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

2 people like this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4381 posts

Postby AngryBuddha » Jun 11th, 2019, 1:54 pm

How did we get to a point where drug users come before children?

In the eyes of SJWs, the rights of the druggies supersedes that of child.

Man, this town makes me sick sometimes.

3 people like this post.
AngryBuddha

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 11th, 2019, 2:26 pm

When did we get to the point where teaching our children to defend their own safety has been replaced by beaking off on the internet about how somebody (good lord not oneself) should DO SOMETHING? More enforcement! More enforcement!

She did right by removing herself from the situation; everyone should have an escape route. She made a mistake, and it is a mistake that hurts and will have lasting impact.

Have you ever noticed how people will walk behind a car that is already in motion backing up? I'd have been cuffed up-side the head for being that stupid. People do these things all the time now expecting everyone else to keep them safe from harm.

Safety is not being taught like it used to.

The world is a dangerous place, know your surroundings, have an escape route. Teach your children how to avoid one danger without putting themselves square into another.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

5 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4592 posts

Postby rustled » Jun 11th, 2019, 7:09 pm

Tony wrote:Actually, the story says "she thought she'd try her luck at crossing the street". No where does it say she "run across the road in a panic". She wasn't running either, she was on a bike. She very easily could have gone to the closest crosswalk, waited for the light and crossed, but she thought she'd try her luck at crossing the street. As nasty as it is, she wasn't seriously hurt, and that's a good thing. The driver has to live with the fact that they hit a kid, and that will take some time to heal.

The junkies may or may not be aware of what happened, but no where in this story does it say that they approached her, threatened her or even talked to her. I get it, the junkies (and that's a supposition) she saw homeless people in the underpass, and, being 13, she could have assumed they were junkies... who knows, we weren't there.

Was she on a bike? I missed that.

It seems to me some of the folk commenting may be unfamiliar with this part of Highway 97. The story I've linked to below shows the underpass, complete with tent, and the speed at which the traffic is travelling as it approaches the intersection. Four lanes become five here and as I recall, there is no sidewalk or bike path on the Skaha side (but I could be wrong).

Point being, getting to the closest crosswalk (and using that crosswalk) by bicycle or on foot is relatively risky compared to "in town".
https://globalnews.ca/news/5378234/okan ... underpass/

Yes, there's always the possibility people are dramatizing in this type of story.

However, I can tell you there are plenty of us ordinary, adventuresome, non-hysterical adults who are finding ourselves feeling "prepared for trouble" while walking past folk who have taken up residence on the paths connecting our neighbourhoods and our schools in increasing numbers.

I raised my kids to trust in the goodness of most people but trust their gut, too.

What do we do when our children feel they should avoid the routes they usually take to get safely home from the beach or to and from school? I think I'd do what this mom did, and ask people in the community to help come up with solutions.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 9998 posts

Postby the truth » Jun 12th, 2019, 5:30 pm

AngryBuddha wrote:How did we get to a point where drug users come before children?

ya pretty sick stuff and members as you can see for yourself
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7722 posts

Postby twobits » Jun 12th, 2019, 8:05 pm

This whole discussion about what better choices this 13 yo could have made to cross a 4 lane road to avoid drug needle injecting addicts sponsored by taxpayer dollars that perpetuate their addiction is beyond comprehension for me.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

5 people like this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby the truth » Jun 12th, 2019, 8:33 pm

twobits wrote:This whole discussion about what better choices this 13 yo could have made to cross a 4 lane road to avoid drug needle injecting addicts sponsored by taxpayer dollars that perpetuate their addiction is beyond comprehension for me.

agree 100% . blame the victim, poor kid
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby t76turbo » Jun 15th, 2019, 8:55 am

I watched mom on tv and she seemed pretty composed and didn’t flip out.
If it were me I’d be pretty *bleep*!
She almost lost her child!!!

There is nothing in this world that matters more to me then my children!

Have some of you guys even seen how some of these cracker jacks act once high?
I wouldn’t want any of my kids within 100 feet yet alone 10.

A 13 year old got frightened. I am 6’1” 225 pounds and I would’ve thought twice about walking past what looks like a junky with a needle in his arm.

She made a mistake in her haste to cross the street. I think she may have been more concerned about somebody coming after her than safely crossing the street. That is a wide section of road to cross and when you’re looking behind you and not in front of you things happen.

Shame on our industrious leaders to not look at the bigger picture. Shame on posters that think the 13 year old should have been more careful crossing hwy.
I have a lot of opinions, just ask the wife. Some good, some bad, and others down right ugly!
But then, they are just MY opinions.

2 people like this post.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 424 posts

Postby the truth » Jun 15th, 2019, 8:59 am

agree 100%
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Postby OllyV » Jun 17th, 2019, 6:27 pm

one wheel wrote:What 'Rango' asks is if Canada is almost a 3rd. world country because of our drug issues & I agree with his question?

This situation is awful but the answer is a resounding NO. We are not even close to what is found in many developing nations.
Travel would help with understanding how good we have it here. But reading doesn't hurt.

It's a ridiculous question/statement that at once wildly overstates and misunderstands the situation in Canada, misdirects the conversation from the true nature of the problem, while at the same time making light of the very serious problems facing many of our brothers and sisters in developing nations.

Once Canadians start risking their lives and the lives of their families to flee the violence, war, gangs and corruption facing many asylum seekers coming from the developing nations, then perhaps we can ask the at same question.

...and no, we are not nearly there for all those inclined to response with more heightened, alarmist, nonsense.

It's like hearing about a drowning in the lake and saying, "So is Canda (sic) practically like Water World now!?"

This is a situation worth discussing but extreme and alarmist hyperbole don't help the discussion.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.
OllyV
Board Meister

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby OllyV » Jun 17th, 2019, 6:31 pm

GordonH wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:I hate that the world is an unsafe place.

Unfortunately it is the new reality.

Unfortunately, that is a very old reality.

We've just largely been sheltered from it or ignoring it.

Ask some folks in some of those "3rd world countries" Rango thinks we are like if a few unsavouries under a bridge is the worst thing they worry about on a daily basis. I bet not.
OllyV
Board Meister

Postby OllyV » Jun 17th, 2019, 6:38 pm

AngryBuddha wrote:How did we get to a point where drug users come before children?

Who put drug users before children in this discussion? Examples please.

Not one person has said that in any way. Please stick to the facts.

Making up things to be angry about is ironically often an SJW move my friend.

If you have an issue with what someone has actually said, say it. If you need to make stuff up, stick to fan fiction.
OllyV
Board Meister

Postby Iamme » Jun 17th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Rango wrote:So is Canda practically like a 3rd world country now!?

Why kin did nonesense is this? The thing is I cannot help but assume this kind of behaviour whilst being noticed is relatively being passed off the radar or still by all means tolerated.

[/quote] Ask some folks in some of those "3rd world countries" Rango thinks we are like if a few unsavouries under a bridge is the worst thing they worry about on a daily basis. I bet not.[/quote]

How do you come to the conclusion that this is Rango’s perspective based on his/her original post? Rango’s post mentions nothing about unsavoury people under a bridge. In fact, Rango’s original post makes no sense and there was no real point, particularly before the link was added. Rango hasn’t chimed in or clarified so who knows what Rango was thinking. Just sayin
Iamme
Fledgling

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby OllyV » Jun 17th, 2019, 8:26 pm

Iamme wrote:
Rango wrote:So is Canda practically like a 3rd world country now!?

Why kin did nonesense is this? The thing is I cannot help but assume this kind of behaviour whilst being noticed is relatively being passed off the radar or still by all means tolerated.

Ask some folks in some of those "3rd world countries" Rango thinks we are like if a few unsavouries under a bridge is the worst thing they worry about on a daily basis. I bet not.

How do you come the conclusion that this is Rango’s perspective based on his/her original post? Rango’s post mentions nothing about unsavoury people under a bridge. In fact, Rango’s original post makes no sense and there was no real point, particularly before the link was added. Rango hasn’t chimed in or clarified so who knows what Rango was thinking. Just sayin

His first sentence comparing us to a third world country based on this story. What else was his point? What other conclusion is there than he thinks this story is evidence of "Canda" becoming a 3rd world country?

It's literally, exactly what he said.

Pretty easy stuff to follow.... once someone posted the link that is.

I think it's an ill conceived perspective.
OllyV
Board Meister

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan