Detour dangerous, private ????

Detour dangerous, private ????

Postby polelady » Jun 27th, 2019, 8:41 am

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... us-private

Me thinks this is only a money grab...in the future !!
PIB spokesperson Dawn Russell, must be pretty important...!!!!

There is also the fact that the road is private property. Russell said the PIB understood there was a need for access due to the lengthy highway closure, and chose to allow people through rather than handing out fines ???

If this is an alternative...and some bigger disaster happens... it should be upgraded for usage and the PIB advised of the needed usage.... not chirp about fines.... ? I am sure in the hidden budget funds... some one can get it in shape.... !!!

Probably going to put up a toll station next time... !!!

All food for thought of course...
polelady

Liked in: 48 posts

Re: Detour dangerous, private ????

Postby Justa Krittic » Jun 27th, 2019, 8:56 am

polelady wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/259844/Detour-dangerous-private

There is also the fact that the road is private property. Russell said the PIB understood there was a need for access due to the lengthy highway closure, and chose to allow people through rather than handing out fines ???

If this is an alternative...and some bigger disaster happens... it should be upgraded for usage and the PIB advised of the needed usage.... not chirp about fines.... ? I am sure in the hidden budget funds... some one can get it in shape.... !!!

And would that toll include a drive-by of the Man Made Mountain of .. Stuff.. : [icon_lol2.gif]
Justa Krittic

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Jun 27th, 2019, 9:44 am

polelady wrote:

It's their private land. If they choose to profit from an opportunity to use their land then good on em. :130:
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1420 posts

Postby my5cents » Jun 27th, 2019, 10:04 am

Did the highway really need to be closed for 4½ hours ?

This wasn't a 30 car pile up.

Secure the scene, take care of the injured, identify witnesses. Mark, with paint, the locations of the vehicles and any pertinent debris. Take zillions of photo's. Open the road.

To those who might say "well they had to wait for an RCMP Traffic Analyst". When things get REAL serious the photo's and the measurements are interpreted by real experts, engineers. Not some cop with some courses under his belt.

Those measurements can be taken at a later date, when the traffic is light.

I know of a guy that was biking home to Summerland from Penticton, they wouldn't even let him walk by. Really ???
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1689 posts

Postby polelady » Jun 27th, 2019, 12:59 pm

TylerM4 wrote:
polelady wrote:

It's their private land. If they choose to profit from an opportunity to use their land then good on em. :130:

True... but maybe there has to be a option when something like this happens is my point... lets not not get carried away... !
polelady

Postby Bunnyhop » Jun 27th, 2019, 3:00 pm

Well, she’s got a point. The road is on private land and isn’t really suitable for heavy traffic. Can’t blame people for wanting to use the route though when they need to get home and it seems to be the quickest way around.

I think the bad guys here is the provincial government who aren’t providing a safe alternate route to these frequent road closures. It’s not like Hwy 97 is a little used road. It’s a major North South route.

When will that get addressed?

2 people like this post.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 561 posts

Postby twobits » Jun 27th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Bunnyhop wrote:Well, she’s got a point. The road is on private land and isn’t really suitable for heavy traffic. Can’t blame people for wanting to use the route though when they need to get home and it seems to be the quickest way around.

I think the bad guys here is the provincial government who aren’t providing a safe alternate route to these frequent road closures. It’s not like Hwy 97 is a little used road. It’s a major North South route.

That is not practical nor economically feasible. The previous poster is correct in that some common sense must prevail at crash sites by the RCMP.
Get the critical data quickly, make the road safe for travel, and open the road again. Skid mark measurements and transit calculations can be done after traffic has diminished.
I think an argument could even be made that 4 1/2 hr closures of main Hwy raising the risk of further calamity when people search out bush roads just to get home.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby Sabumnim123 » Jun 27th, 2019, 7:24 pm

twobits wrote:
Bunnyhop wrote:Well, she’s got a point. The road is on private land and isn’t really suitable for heavy traffic. Can’t blame people for wanting to use the route though when they need to get home and it seems to be the quickest way around.

That is not practical nor economically feasible. The previous poster is correct in that some common sense must prevail at crash sites by the RCMP.
Get the critical data quickly, make the road safe for travel, and open the road again. Skid mark measurements and transit calculations can be done after traffic has diminished.
I think an argument could even be made that 4 1/2 hr closures of main Hwy raising the risk of further calamity when people search out bush roads just to get home.

Local people are getting sick and tired of this stretch of the highway, always near Summerland, getting closed for an inordinate amount of time. First, the rockslides, now this !

The problem is clear: as a motorist. you have NO CHOICE ! Either you take Highway 97 South passing through hicktown, or take a logging road into Timbuktu, (kind of like visiting Africa?) or you stay at home !

Either the government immediately builds a permanent by-pass into/out of Summerland so that future rockslides, traffic accidents, RCMP beaurocracy, etc., does not inconvenience the local public and tourists, from travelling from A to B, or we suffer the consequences.

Namely, a province with a less than flattering reputation and roadway system. Kind of belies the moniker: "The best place on Earth !" doesn't it ? :up:

Bunnyhop likes this post.
Sabumnim123

Liked in: 6 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jun 27th, 2019, 8:27 pm

my5cents wrote:This wasn't a 30 car pile up.

No, but it was fatal.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

Tony likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4315 posts

Postby seewood » Jun 27th, 2019, 9:07 pm

Just some thoughts after attending numerous fatal accidents in the past.
Deceased at the scene, corner is called before deceased is moved. In one instance at a triple fatal I attended, that took two hours as the coroner was at an inquest.
Because of the inevitable litigation, I suspect ICBC expects an extremely detailed accident investigation report.

At a traffic incident, ICBC pays for the police to attend ( see above), same as the Tow truck operators. Fire or rescue crews, nope, local jurisdiction pays them and no recourse to bill ICBC.

If the RCMP for instance did a short shrift of an investigation and a drunk driver that took one of our loved ones got off because of a lousy investigation, that would be in the headlines as well. For the wrong reason in my opinion.
RCMP comes back after to do an investigation? A lawyer will tear that evidence apart me thinks.

Without a doubt, a bloody inconvenience but I'd be happier with a detailed investigation at a scene that was not contaminated with traffic after the fact.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

4 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1625 posts

Postby Bunnyhop » Jun 28th, 2019, 7:22 am

seewood wrote:Just some thoughts after attending numerous fatal accidents in the past.
Deceased at the scene, corner is called before deceased is moved. In one instance at a triple fatal I attended, that took two hours as the coroner was at an inquest.
Because of the inevitable litigation, I suspect ICBC expects an extremely detailed accident investigation report.

At a traffic incident, ICBC pays for the police to attend ( see above), same as the Tow truck operators. Fire or rescue crews, nope, local jurisdiction pays them and no recourse to bill ICBC.

If the RCMP for instance did a short shrift of an investigation and a drunk driver that took one of our loved ones got off because of a lousy investigation, that would be in the headlines as well. For the wrong reason in my opinion.
RCMP comes back after to do an investigation? A lawyer will tear that evidence apart me thinks.

Without a doubt, a bloody inconvenience but I'd be happier with a detailed investigation at a scene that was not contaminated with traffic after the fact.

All the more reason for a safe, viable, 4 season route to be available. Shutting down a fairly critical N/S route for hours to investigate an accident scene or for weeks to remediate highway safety is happening too frequently for us to just shrug our shoulders and say “oh well”.
Bunnyhop
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 561 posts

Postby LTD » Jun 28th, 2019, 7:29 am

polelady wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/259844/Detour-dangerous-private

handing out fines lol I wouldn't pay it i wouldn't even stop if they tried pulling me over
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3816 posts

Postby smoky500 » Jun 28th, 2019, 8:13 am

and where does the money come from? you are talking in the tens possibly hundreds of millions!!
smoky500
Fledgling

Liked in: 75 posts

Postby polelady » Jun 28th, 2019, 8:49 am

Money can be found in one of the hidden slush funds account... never amuses me how things are built with this hidden fund and or ???? SO yes it has to be addressed... as we all know that highway 97 is a raceway... and more fatal accidents are going to happen.... !!! ( it does seem the norm on all highways to shut down for at least 4 hrs when it is fatal )
I suppose the alternative for the stranded motorists is to head back to Penticton.. then the back road over the hill and join highway 33 near Big White... do believe that is classified as a forest road.... with NO TOLLS..
Oh well some ONE important will ask for a survey and report ... on the issue... PIB can do the same.. and pay for it... as well if they do not want traffic !!
polelady

Postby TylerM4 » Jun 28th, 2019, 9:02 am

polelady wrote:Money can be found in one of the hidden slush funds account... never amuses me how things are built with this hidden fund and or ????

Huh? There are no "Hidden slush funds".

There are emergency and contingency funds. They're not hidden. They're also nowhere near big enough to put in a new highway link. These are ment for things like rockslides, and emergency repairs not for $100+Million dollar roadway projects.

dirtybiker likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1420 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan