Senior tossed to the curb

Senior tossed to the curb

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 11th, 2019, 5:57 am

And when someone tries to help them, they too will become homeless.

A Penticton senior was evicted from her home this week, with all her belongings tossed to the curb, adding another member to the city’s growing homeless population.

“I can’t believe it, I just can’t believe it,” she said, adding she has never been homeless before this eviction.

Mclaren says she was accused by her landlord of being a drug dealer and user, something she denies. She suspects she was targeted because she would let homeless people stay with her occasionally.

“We helped a few people, but you are not supposed to I guess,” she said. “They tried to say they were afraid of us and all that stuff.”

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... o-the-curb
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4724 posts

Re: Senior tossed to the curb

Postby W105 » Jul 11th, 2019, 6:37 am

well that's a very sad story being evicted like that...BUT there most definitely is another side to this story...the RTB doesn't allow people to be evicted like this without "extremely" good evidence or the person isn't paying their rent..

and if she was renting rooms to homeless people, I could see her neighbors having issues with it...follow the rules of your tenancy, pretty simple..

4 people like this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4574 posts

Postby wanderer » Jul 11th, 2019, 8:07 am

It looks like the Residential Tenancy Branch was involved and agreed with the landlord, so this isn't coming out of the blue for her.

Many people who have to vacate quickly from a rental premises, and can't find another rental unit, will rent a storage unit for their property instead of it being thrown to the curb. If she had the money for rent then you'd think she'd at least have the money for a storage unit for a month or two. The eviction notice would have given her time to make these arrangements, it's not like they make their ruling and within hours the bailiff turns up.

This article gives one side of the story, there probably is another side.

4 people like this post.
wanderer
Board Meister

Liked in: 610 posts

Postby weedlover » Jul 11th, 2019, 8:08 am

The RTB will not allow a person to be evicted for no reason. So she says she wasn't drug dealing, even if that is true, if you lived in this apartment building would you like someone letting a bunch of homeless people in the building? Also she knew eviction was a very real possibility so she should have made other arrangements. Very misleading headline, she was not "tossed" to the curb. She made this choice. No sympathy here!

3 people like this post.
weedlover

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby seewood » Jul 11th, 2019, 8:14 am

Always two sides to a story, always.

weedlover wrote:The RTB will not allow a person to be evicted for no reason.

Exactly. Landlord must have had very compelling evidence against this woman.

Sad though the scum of the earth have now picked over her possessions.

removed Its called an eviction, not tossed to the curb.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 11th, 2019, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Address your concerns directly to [email protected] Thanks
I am not wealthy but I am rich

4 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1615 posts

Postby 65deluxe » Jul 11th, 2019, 8:38 am

removed

The landlord tried to boot her and her roomies out a number of times, taking them to court but having it tossed. They finally installed security camera's and a security guard. Went to court with proof she/they were dealing, using drugs on the premises, shooting up in the halls, threatening other tenants, causing damage, and relieving themselves in the halls. The court had the proof and they were given notice. The guy, a meth head as described by one of her other "user" roomies during a street argument was digging through the pile to get I guess what he felt was his.
Last edited by Catsumi on Jul 11th, 2019, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Contact [email protected] directly. Thanks

2 people like this post.
65deluxe

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby soupy » Jul 11th, 2019, 9:01 am

65deluxe wrote:removed . The landlord tried to boot her and her roomies out a number of times, taking them to court but having it tossed. They finally installed security camera's and a security guard. Went to court with proof she/they were dealing, using drugs on the premises, shooting up in the halls, threatening other tenants, causing damage, and relieving themselves in the halls. The court had the proof and they were given notice. The guy, a meth head as described by one of her other "user" roomies during a street argument was digging through the pile to get I guess what he felt was his.

Likely not a spin, but just accepting the one side of the story as the truth.
Hopefully they update the story with the other side of the story as you have mentioned here.

*Prime example of why I would be hesitant to ever rent my place in the future though.

seewood likes this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 784 posts

Postby bcpaul » Jul 11th, 2019, 9:30 am

As a landlord, I can say that this woman had time to find a new home or storage for her stuff -- probably 3 months from the eviction notice. A bailiff (usually thousands of $$$ that the landlord cannot recover) is only used as a last resort for a landlord if the tenant refuses to leave after being ordered to do so by the RTO.
You don't just get kicked to the curb without knowing well in advance that it is coming. This would be a rare case.

3 people like this post.
bcpaul
Fledgling

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby JagXKR » Jul 11th, 2019, 9:41 am

Glad for the residents of the apartment that they no longer have to deal with this tenant.
I have had dealings with a bailiff in this town and it was a truly last resort. The hell that residents go through with druggies in their midst is horrible.
Good for the RTB to do the right thing. :up:
She brought all of this on herself, no sympathy from me.
Ziltch, nada etc
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

4 people like this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1694 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Jul 11th, 2019, 10:21 am

alanjh595 wrote:And when someone tries to help them, they too will become homeless.

A Penticton senior was evicted from her home this week, with all her belongings tossed to the curb, adding another member to the city’s growing homeless population.

“I can’t believe it, I just can’t believe it,” she said, adding she has never been homeless before this eviction.

Mclaren says she was accused by her landlord of being a drug dealer and user, something she denies. She suspects she was targeted because she would let homeless people stay with her occasionally.

“We helped a few people, but you are not supposed to I guess,” she said. “They tried to say they were afraid of us and all that stuff.”

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... o-the-curb
you really shouldn't believe everything you read. I don't know many drug dealers who admit to being a drug dealer.
If you can't handle the truth, plug your ears. Don't ask me to stop speaking. This is a no snowflake Zone
common_sense_guy
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby Gixxer » Jul 11th, 2019, 11:00 am

Wow great headline on a one sided story. Im sure there's way more to this story than the headline states.

Quick bleeding harts here's your chance to help a poor innocent homeless senior out. May I suggest opening your home up to her till she gets back on her feet or maybe a gofundpage.

blueliner likes this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1716 posts

Postby JagXKR » Jul 11th, 2019, 11:18 am

Yes indeed, where are all the do-gooders for this woman? Why are their homes not being opened to her?
Could it be they do not want this woman to start letting in druggies? No of course not, because the story says she didn't let druggies into the complex. So why is she not being inundated with offers from the bleeding heart left wing nut jobs to stay in their residences?
Crickets....

more crickets....

deafening crickets.....
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

3 people like this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1694 posts

Postby pentona » Jul 11th, 2019, 11:28 am

What got my attention in the story was the address (900 Fairview Road); such a lovely, upscale, sought after address (NOTTTTTTTTTT)! :swear:
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 621 posts

Postby weedlover » Jul 11th, 2019, 11:57 am

People should complain to Castanet about this shoddy misleading reporting! (I did)

twobits likes this post.
weedlover

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jul 11th, 2019, 12:09 pm

The headline should read: 'RTB Backs Landlord'
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

3 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4569 posts

Next

Return to South Okanagan