City and DPA really did a good job moving them out!

City and DPA really did a good job moving them out!

Postby southy » Jul 26th, 2019, 12:55 pm

I'm really not sure what the City and the brain trust of the DPA were thinking when they made the decision to move the homeless and addicted out of downtown. Did they know what would happen? Did they discuss their plan/s with other cities? Did the RCMP tell them the end result of a tent city on public land is not illegal? I don't want to get into pointing the finger totally at Mayor Vas and council, but somebody, including city management had to know this was going to happen. So now, just in time for tourist season the downtown core doesn't look so bad. But drive up Martin or down Main and check Penticton's newest subdivision. Something is missing here. Why does Penticton continually shoot themselves in the foot?

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/ne ... -campsite/
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 989 posts

Re: City and DPA really did a good job moving them out!

Postby Justa Krittic » Jul 27th, 2019, 8:59 am

The city should just turn on the Sprinklers very Early

bb49 likes this post.
Justa Krittic

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby bob vernon » Jul 27th, 2019, 10:47 am

Like most city councils, they're completely out of touch. They're stuck in the 1990s, or earlier. They represent the business owners and property owners and have been given an assignment: lower our taxes.

They have no idea what the problems really are and what the causes are, so how can they possibly come up with solutions.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1542 posts

Postby pentona » Jul 27th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Justa Krittic wrote:The city should just turn on the Sprinklers very Early

Eventually, when the lawn turns brown, they will have to turn the sprinklers on, however I bet the "residents" in question just break off the sprinkler heads and use them as showers. What are they using for bathroom facilities; the bush near the fence line? I feel sorry for the owners of those properties bordering the camp and also the business next door.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 621 posts

Postby twobits » Jul 27th, 2019, 6:06 pm

southy wrote:I'm really not sure what the City and the brain trust of the DPA were thinking when they made the decision to move the homeless and addicted out of downtown. Did they know what would happen? Did they discuss their plan/s with other cities? Did the RCMP tell them the end result of a tent city on public land is not illegal? I don't want to get into pointing the finger totally at Mayor Vas and council, but somebody, including city management had to know this was going to happen. So now, just in time for tourist season the downtown core doesn't look so bad. But drive up Martin or down Main and check Penticton's newest subdivision. Something is missing here. Why does Penticton continually shoot themselves in the foot?

https://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/ne ... -campsite/

Sorry Southy, but I cannot connect the dots between a new City bylaw that prohibits sitting or laying on downtown sidewalks and this new tent camp. As far as I ever saw....there were no tents pitched overnight on downtown Penticton sidewalks.....so what does the DPA or the new bylaw have to do with this new tent camp? Who was displaced from downtown to this new site for overnight camping?
Perhaps the cleanup of "hobo trails" on the clay banks above the Okanagan Marina is a better explanation?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

Anonymous123 likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby southy » Jul 27th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Actually what I was getting at is the DPA and City did everything in their power to move the undesirables, those being addicts, homeless and in betweens away from the downtown core. This move was simply just a sweeping and cleaning up downtown for cosmetic tourism looks. It does not in anyway help with the ongoing problem. Those with tents were/are frequenting downtown, they cannot however sit on the sidewalks (mission accomplished - sorta). As the media stories have emphasized, their is safety in groups and thus the tent cities we see. You will also notice that the tents come down during the day, yet, individuals remain. So what was accomplished other than removing some of these folks from the downtown core. What's the next move. Problem I see is there is no urgency to find a solutions to this on going problem. It will only get worse, then what? Is the city investigating options? What about Horgan and his ilk? Trudeau? There needs to be a solution. Hopefully it is found sooner rather than later.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby fluffy » Jul 28th, 2019, 8:01 am

southy wrote:There needs to be a solution. Hopefully it is found sooner rather than later.

There is no shortage of similar problems in cities and towns all over the world, and compared to many we are getting off easy. This is a complicated issue with myriad causes, but in the end it all leads back to money. How are you going to feel if the “solution” requires some measure of sacrifice from you personally?
Okey dokey doggie daddy.

southy likes this post.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4392 posts

Postby southy » Jul 28th, 2019, 9:34 am

The need is obviously there. The solution has to come from somewhere. Hell the amount of money we give to government is rediculous. As are the tax programs. From municipal to regional, provincial and federal surely a tax plan can be formulated to move needed dollars into a workable solution. Ahh yes, I can hear the push back already. Why help the addicted, homeless, etc. they are where they are by their own doing. This isn't about us against them, it's about helping humanity.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby twobits » Jul 28th, 2019, 4:54 pm

Am thinking mandatory 25yrs with zero chance of parole for a second offense of selling black market narcotics. That would diminish the lure of selling the chit. Until the motive for the profits are removed.....this problem is not going to be solved by social justice libs and taxpayer built and supplied "wet" housing.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Postby fluffy » Jul 28th, 2019, 7:04 pm

twobits wrote:Am thinking mandatory 25yrs with zero chance of parole for a second offense of selling black market narcotics. That would diminish the lure of selling the chit. Until the motive for the profits are removed.....this problem is not going to be solved by social justice libs and taxpayer built and supplied "wet" housing.

If nothing else, that should give a healthy boost to the liquor industry.

I’m always impressed by people who look down their noses at “social justice libs” when it’s becoming more and more clear that social injustice is at the root of so many of the problems we are facing.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4392 posts

Postby pentona » Jul 29th, 2019, 1:33 pm

Justa Krittic wrote:The city should just turn on the Sprinklers very Early

Perhaps the city turned on the sprinkers? All the squatters/campers are gone from that green space across from RCMP as of today. Of course its likely they will just appear somewhere else tonight.
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 621 posts

Postby twobits » Jul 29th, 2019, 6:33 pm

fluffy wrote:
I’m always impressed by people who look down their noses at “social justice libs” when it’s becoming more and more clear that social injustice is at the root of so many of the problems we are facing.

And I am equally impressed by the fool's that do not realize that soup kitchens, dinners every Monday night at Nanimo Square, wet housings etc are doing little more than enabling 95% of them to continue their lifestyle. For lord's sake....the highest crime rates are unsurprisingly within 1km of every subsidized housing project built in town. Don't have to look down my nose to understand the failure of the good intentions of the social justice warriors.

blueliner likes this post.
twobits
Guru

Postby ToddT » Jul 30th, 2019, 8:47 am

twobits wrote: For lord's sake....the highest crime rates are unsurprisingly within 1km of every subsidized housing project built in town.

While I agree with you by and large, that's a little vague considering there is social housing in all 3 parts of town from Skaha to Okanagan. You're suggesting the whole place is a cesspool? ...oh wait, you're probably right.
ToddT
Übergod

Liked in: 274 posts

Return to South Okanagan