Evicted because baby was born

dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Evicted because baby was born

Post by dreamon »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#262490

This is extraordinary. The optics are horrendous for the property manager and landlord.
To be evicted because the pregnancy occurred after the grandfathering date even though they were already tenants.

Curious if the landlord was served with a strata bylaw infraction notice. If so, would love to see the tenant challenge that given the situation.
Is this landlord driven due to the tenant being stale (old tenancy therefore low rent when compared to market rent).

I should add that I am a landlord several times over and usually very pro anything that helps a landlord, this however is poor form.
crookedmember
Banned

Re: Evicted because baby was born

Post by crookedmember »

I doubt the owners of the unit care.

If they sign up a new tenant, they can bump the rent up by hundreds of dollars, rather than tens.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

The woman says they never received the bylaw changes. I doubt that very very much. The bylaws would need to be changed at a special general meeting or an annual general meeting both of which need notices to go out to every tenant. The AGM notice by law has to be mailed.

Also the results of an AGM or special general meeting need to be sent to every tenant. The full bylaws and minutes are, many times, on the website of the strata management company.

What seems more likely is that they ignored the notices and any changes. The fact they were cited for other bylaw infractions leads me to the opinion of ignorance is bliss type of attitude.

I have no sympathy whatsoever to those that are ignorant of their own lives. Zero.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
VandG

Post by VandG »

Her rent was likely in the $900 range. They are currently renting for $1250 under the new Property Management Co. I believe 3 or more (multiple) buildings are owned by a non-resident of Penticton but managed within the 'rental pool'. Unfortunately, I believe she was never made aware of the "19 and over" residency requirements as the previous Property Manager was, quite simply put, a moron. I'm not convinced that the new management person is any better.

Just another case of greed in a community that is lacking both new and senior rental housing.
VandG

Post by VandG »

JagXKR wrote:The woman says they never received the bylaw changes. I doubt that very very much. The bylaws would need to be changed at a special general meeting or an annual general meeting both of which need notices to go out to every tenant. The AGM notice by law has to be mailed.

Also the results of an AGM or special general meeting need to be sent to every tenant. The full bylaws and minutes are, many times, on the website of the strata management company.

What seems more likely is that they ignored the notices and any changes. The fact they were cited for other bylaw infractions leads me to the opinion of ignorance is bliss type of attitude.

I have no sympathy whatsoever to those that are ignorant of their own lives. Zero.

As a resident who has resided in this complex for over 8 years, I can assure you that any Notice of Special Meeting/AGM/or Minutes were ever made available to the renters. They did have a Special Meeting early this year (no notice given) that deemed the property non-smoking. We received a letter in July ... effective immediately. That's how this company rolls.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

You reside in this complex? But your profile says Kelowna. Hmmm.

If there was truly no notice then there would be a good defense at the Civil Resolution Tribunal.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/hous ... n-tribunal
ORWELL

Post by ORWELL »

the management company does not make the rules like a ruling lord, they only enforce the rules voted by owning members.

the STRATA members VOTED the current rules IN

don't post information if you don't know how the system works

the STRATA MEMBERS would have to have a special vote to keep her, nothing to do with the management company they are only upholding the wishes of the current voted rules by the OWNERS.

She needs to find a member/owner on her behalf to make a motion. Sounds like she couldn't win one over.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What else can be expected in the Okanagan where investments are more important than humanity and community?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
VandG

Post by VandG »

JagXKR wrote:You reside in this complex? But your profile says Kelowna. Hmmm.

If there was truly no notice then there would be a good defense at the Civil Resolution Tribunal.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/hous ... n-tribunal

Voting members do make the call. 80% of the units are owned by one Vancouverite.

Not that it's any of your business but, my profile shows Kelowna because that's where I lived when I set up an account with Castanet. Relevance? None.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

The relevance is there, regardless if you do not see it or not. Many on this site "say" they are this that or other thing yet they are not. So my questioning whether you do in fact live there is extremely apropos. Especially since you show to all that you reside in Kelowna. You do not need to show where you are from but you chose to show Kelowna.
My query is valid.
Lerfy
Board Meister

Post by Lerfy »

This has nothing to do with greed. The property manager is bound by the rules. I owned in a 19 plus building for 10 years until I had a kid. We had to sell, end of story. If she wasn't attending the AGMs where the rule changes came up, that is on her.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The rules are the problem. People first. Change the rules and stop putting families on the street. We can do better than this!
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

ORWELL wrote:the management company does not make the rules like a ruling lord, they only enforce the rules voted by owning members.

the STRATA members VOTED the current rules IN

don't post information if you don't know how the system works

the STRATA MEMBERS would have to have a special vote to keep her, nothing to do with the management company they are only upholding the wishes of the current voted rules by the OWNERS.

She needs to find a member/owner on her behalf to make a motion. Sounds like she couldn't win one over.

Not sure what rules you are talking about but there are clear rules regarding Stratas in BC.
Also I never stated that the management company makes the rules. So stop posting lies about what I say.
I absolutely know strata laws in BC. More than most. There is part of the story here that does not pass the smell test.
BIG TIME!
Also it does not matter who the council is and how many units the owner has. Changes must be mailed to the owners. IF the owners are subletting or renting their properties then it is they that need to inform their tenants of any changes. This is also where the CRT can help.
You need to check Strata laws in BC before posting.
Also if one owner has 80% of the units then it is that owner that has the majority of the votes. That owner can then dictate the rules BUT they still must be made available to all tenants. All changes as well.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lerfy wrote: If she wasn't attending the AGMs where the rule changes came up, that is on her.

A renter can attend the meeting but cannot discuss anything without approval as well as they cannot vote without a proxy.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Bsuds wrote:A renter can attend the meeting but cannot discuss anything without approval as well as they cannot vote without a proxy.

Unless stated in a strata's bylaws a renter cannot vote, or vote via proxy. Proxy votes are only from owners that cannot attend the meeting. The owner can vote for the renter's wishes but that is clearly between the owner and the renter.
The owner's proxy can be handed in at any meeting but I do believe that only another owner can submit the proxy. I've never run into that scenario so have no real knowledge but it would seem a petty thing not to allow the renter to hand in the proxy.

Return to “South Okanagan”