Kudos to Penticton Judge!

Kudos to Penticton Judge!

Postby stuphoto » Aug 12th, 2019, 4:35 pm

It's about time a judge does his job rather than releasing a dangerous offender back into the public.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#263382

I hope other judges use this as an example.

Thanks Judge Gregory Koturbash, we appreciate what you have done.

6 people like this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 496 posts

Re: Kudos to Penticton Judge!

Postby polelady » Aug 12th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Right on.. that judge needs a pat on the back for finally sending that bad actor women to jail... sounds like he said she has NO respect for the law.. and thank goodness no one was killed in her wild stolen vehicle chases....
I hope the judge reads these posting and smiles... for a good days work... well done...!!

3 people like this post.
polelady

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby mexi cali » Aug 12th, 2019, 7:25 pm

removed
Last edited by ferri on Aug 13th, 2019, 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: What the ????
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4352 posts

Postby GordonH » Aug 12th, 2019, 8:35 pm

Judge Gregory Koturbash we need more like you & just maybe it will help restore my belief in our justice system.
Unfortunately far to many judges tend to give light slaps on wrists.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

stuphoto likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby common_sense_guy » Aug 13th, 2019, 8:43 am

If part of her reasoning that she did all this crime was from drug addiction could the judge have not imposed some kind of rehabilitation program to her which seems to be the main problem for her crimes.
If you can't handle the truth, plug your ears. Don't ask me to stop speaking. This is a no snowflake Zone
common_sense_guy
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby stuphoto » Aug 13th, 2019, 10:27 am

I am all for that,
3 choices,
Red Pill
Green Pill
Or take nothing, and ask for help if and when you are actually ready.

Only one of the choices guarantees you a safe choice.
Which is the same decision they make every time they choose to take street drugs.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby dreamon » Aug 13th, 2019, 10:36 am

common_sense_guy wrote:If part of her reasoning that she did all this crime was from drug addiction could the judge have not imposed some kind of rehabilitation program to her which seems to be the main problem for her crimes.

Common sense would say yes, sentencing rules say no.
Need to lobby politicians to allow judges to impose some form of rehab or treatment

soupy likes this post.
dreamon
Fledgling

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby twobits » Aug 13th, 2019, 5:13 pm

dreamon wrote:Common sense would say yes, sentencing rules say no.
Need to lobby politicians to allow judges to impose some form of rehab or treatment

Court ordered rehab is available to judges. I think the problem is that there are not enough rehab spaces available to send them to.
Perhaps instead of building subsidized "wet" housing for them, we should be building more "dry" rehab housing.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby dreamon » Aug 13th, 2019, 5:59 pm

twobits wrote:Perhaps instead of building subsidized "wet" housing for them, we should be building more "dry" rehab housing.

Oh come now, that would infringe on their rights and entitlements, we can't have that.

2 people like this post.
dreamon
Fledgling

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby stuphoto » Aug 13th, 2019, 9:58 pm

Rehab doesn't do anything unless the person is actually ready to change.
So a judge ordering someone who isn't ready to change to rehab is a waste of resources for those who are ready.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby ranger49 » Aug 14th, 2019, 8:23 am

I saw this lady walking down the street. She spotted a bike on the back of an SUV. She said to her friend," I want a bike just like that!" It was a nice black on black hardtail. Then she says, "It's not even locked!" Next she attempted to remove the bike form the rack only to realize that it was in fact locked up. Before walking on, she spits on the back window of the SUV.

Call it Jail call it rehab, call it assisted living. I don't really care. Criminals need to be held accountable. They need care, they need shelter and nourishment. They need love and direction. If they aren't fit for release don't let them go. Simple.
Last edited by ranger49 on Aug 14th, 2019, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ranger49

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby pentona » Aug 14th, 2019, 8:27 am

ranger49 wrote:I saw this lady walking down the street. She spotted a bike on the back of an SUV. She said to her friend," I want a bike just like that!" It was a nice black on black hardtail. Then she says, "It's not even locked!" Next she attempted to remove the bike form the rack only to realize that it was in fact locked up. Before walking on, she spits on the back window of the SUV.

Wow....a low-life who was not carrying their normal tools in a backpack (bolt cutters).
pentona
Übergod

Liked in: 621 posts

Postby fluffy » Aug 14th, 2019, 1:19 pm

twobits wrote:Court ordered rehab is available to judges. I think the problem is that there are not enough rehab spaces available to send them to.

Court ordered rehab has a dismal success rate. If the addict/user in not engaged in their own recovery then in their mind court ordered rehab is nothing more than "easy time", and it's business as usual after the so-called sentence is complete.
Okey dokey doggie daddy.
fluffy
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4392 posts

Postby twobits » Aug 14th, 2019, 5:45 pm

fluffy wrote:
Court ordered rehab has a dismal success rate. If the addict/user in not engaged in their own recovery then in their mind court ordered rehab is nothing more than "easy time", and it's business as usual after the so-called sentence is complete.

Can't disagree with that. Also why the only solution I see to this drug problem is to cut the head off of the supply chain snake(s).
Make selling any illegal drug a serious and rapidly escalating penalty. When street level dealers face two yr min and then 5 yr min on second conviction, and 15 on third conviction........the supply is gone cuz the big bosses importing this chit are smart enough to stay removed from physical product. Eliminate the retail level and the franchise is dead.
Gladly pay for more jail cells in lieu of rehab rooms. Might even be cheaper and with a lower recidivism rate.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Liked in: 3853 posts

Postby m20 » Aug 14th, 2019, 6:38 pm

Seems to me judge is sending a strong message to the proscecuter. Doesn't look good when judge makes the proscecuter look soft.
m20

Liked in: 0 post

Next

Return to South Okanagan