Kudos to Penticton Judge!

Re: Kudos to Penticton Judge!

Postby SouthernOkanagan » Aug 15th, 2019, 4:31 am

Koturbash generally seems to be good with his sentencing, he weighs the crimes against the offenders history fairly well, and generally does what he can to assure a good sentence.
SouthernOkanagan

Liked in: 16 posts

Postby Chyren » Aug 16th, 2019, 7:12 am

Amazing judgement.

Yes, I totally agree that the judge is sending a message to the prosecution that the days of softness are long gone.
Chyren
Board Meister

Liked in: 406 posts

Postby seewood » Aug 16th, 2019, 9:19 am

Chyren wrote:Amazing judgement.Yes, I totally agree that the judge is sending a message to the prosecution that the days of softness are long gone.

I agree, however lets all hope other judges will recognize the "catch and release" program we have witnessed in the past while, is NOT what the public want to see.
If we have to build a few more crow-bar hotels, so be it. I don't mind my tax dollars going to incarcerate social pariahs.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

twobits likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1617 posts

Postby Kurtron » Aug 24th, 2019, 10:41 pm

twobits wrote:Can't disagree with that. Also why the only solution I see to this drug problem is to cut the head off of the supply chain snake(s).
Make selling any illegal drug a serious and rapidly escalating penalty. When street level dealers face two yr min and then 5 yr min on second conviction, and 15 on third conviction........the supply is gone cuz the big bosses importing this chit are smart enough to stay removed from physical product. Eliminate the retail level and the franchise is dead.
Gladly pay for more jail cells in lieu of rehab rooms. Might even be cheaper and with a lower recidivism rate.

By making it more categorically dangerous to sell all you would succeed in doing is driving up the price and likely increasing petty crime. The a reason you often read about AK47's being included in the stash in huge drug busts is because that degree of deadly force is par the course, and the incentive to make enormous amounts of money trumps any other disincentive or moral or well-being concerns. The real solution is decriminalizing drugs completely redirecting the gross amount of money spent on the "war on drugs" into the "war on malice, *bleep* family images, poverty, and alienation" via robust support networks in the healthcare and education systems. You can moralize all day but a rat backed into a corner will always make the same choice... unless there's some kind of miracle option available that would somehow liberate them from that machination, like y'know, help from society.
Kurtron

Liked in: 0 post

Postby JagXKR » Aug 25th, 2019, 9:59 am

Kurtron wrote:The real solution is decriminalizing drugs completely redirecting the gross amount of money spent on the "war on drugs" into the "war on malice, *bleep* family images, poverty, and alienation" via robust support networks in the healthcare and education systems. You can moralize all day but a rat backed into a corner will always make the same choice... unless there's some kind of miracle option available that would somehow liberate them from that machination, like y'know, help from society.

Not this again. Just make everything legal garbage is not going to happen and regurgitating this tired left wing lovey dovey bunk shows a real lack of understanding of the true nature of society and what society will accept.
It's tired, myopic and outright silly to decriminalize drugs. The only reason the "war" on drugs isn't working is it's being fought with both hands behind our backs. All thanks to the left wing apologists and their "give a criminal a hug" campaign.
I do agree with the rat analogy though, they are on the same level of rats and deserve the same that I give the rats around my house. A chance to choose the bait and get their heads smashed in by the trap or not.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.

2 people like this post.
JagXKR
Übergod

Liked in: 1697 posts

Postby the truth » Aug 25th, 2019, 11:34 am

nice to see a judge do there job for once,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7692 posts

Postby ohfuzz » Sep 12th, 2019, 12:55 pm

yes!! good job
ohfuzz

Liked in: 1 post

Previous

Return to South Okanagan