New Highways Contractor Not Prepared For Winter.

Re: New Highways Contractor Not Prepared For Winter.

Postby common_sense_guy » Aug 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

southy wrote:
Justa Krittic wrote:If you think the last contractor (Argo) did a terrible job...Wait ..you will have lots to *bleep* about with the new contractor.They have very little equipment for removing snow and maintaining the roads.They are ill-prepared to handle this job. How a company who has no expierence in this type of maintenance and beat out all of the Big B.C. companies for this contract has me wondering who"s palms got greased in awarding this to them.

Ahhh ... and you believe the previous contractor did a really good job???

southy, did you read his post or just didn't understand it
If you can't handle the truth, plug your ears. Don't ask me to stop speaking. This is a no snowflake Zone

youhavegottobekidding likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Board Meister

Liked in: 339 posts

Postby southy » Aug 22nd, 2019, 6:49 pm

Sure did and I knew exactly where he was heading with it! And your point is?

OKkayak likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 989 posts

Postby Catsumi » Aug 22nd, 2019, 6:50 pm

keep this impersonal, please and thanks
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 5924 posts

Postby bob vernon » Sep 7th, 2019, 12:41 pm

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/news/ ... aef61.html

We've seen this kind of thing before. The new highways contractor is headquartered in Spain, of all places. But like buying ferries from Poland and Germany, like buying most of our winter Olympic goods and services from the US and China, this highways contract is more of the same.

When an audit is done of bank transactions in Canada, and also by the provincial auditor, the movement of money can be followed. BUT, if the money is sent out of the country, there can be all sorts of palms that get greased as part of the deal. We will never know who owned the numbered companies that supplied all the goods for the Olympics. And now, just what happens to the money sent to Spain. Does any of it eventually find its way into a Swiss bank account?

It smells bad and BC jobs managing these things are sent overseas. Bad.
bob vernon
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1542 posts

Postby GEW » Sep 8th, 2019, 12:26 am

bob vernon wrote:They have nothing to do with SNC Lavalin. That level of political commentary is like, grade six social studies.

But remember this when the snow falls in a couple of months: the contractors are NOT in the business of maintaining roads. They are in the business of racking up as much profit as they can. And that means doing the least that they have to. They will cut every corner they can, leave every plow in the yard that they can, save all the fuel that they can. And we will get the level of highway maintenance that we deserve.

No, not quite true. They have to maintain standards set out by the ministry. If they ignore them, they are placed in non compliance, can be fined and risk losing their contract.
Savings in a maintenance contract is found in day to day efficiencies. One example is using more salt to clear the roads instead of running a truck all shift and wearing out blades and burning fuel. During some weather, there is literally nothing can be done to clear the road. Blowing snow at minus 20 is one example; just keep sanding.
There are many variables, but deliberately parking trucks during a storm is not an option allowed by the ministry. Especially with the new standards brought out this year.
Keep calm and wear your tinfoil hat.
GEW
Fledgling

Liked in: 54 posts

Aim Roads Still Has No Equipment

Postby Justa Krittic » Sep 9th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Still No Equipment For Winter Roads Maintenance .The Snow Is Going To Hit The Fan.
Justa Krittic

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 9th, 2019, 5:19 pm

You know this......how?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4724 posts

Postby Justa Krittic » Sep 9th, 2019, 5:57 pm

[quote="alanjh595"]You know this......how?[/quote I have very Reliable Inside Information . If your not convinced just take a drive by their main yard in Penticton
Justa Krittic

Postby GordonH » Sep 9th, 2019, 6:09 pm

If what the OP'er is correct, then drivers should be saving there nickels & dimes for a good set of winter tires... because all seasons tires are only good for 3 out of the 4 seasons & winter/snow & ice is not one of the 3.

Oh yes tires is only part of the solution.... actually knowing how to drive in winter conditions is huge part of the solution.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8985 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 9th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Justa Krittic wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:You know this......how?[/quote I have very Reliable Inside Information . If your not convinced just take a drive by their main yard in Penticton

Just because the necessary equipment is not in their yard does not mean that they don't have access to it. Me driving by their yard and judging them based upon something that is not there, means nothing.
Why spend millions of $$$ on something that will just be stored, make good business sense? Have the salt and gravel pits been filled yet?

I think your grape vine has root rot.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

4 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4724 posts

Postby southy » Sep 10th, 2019, 3:12 pm

I saw a big brand new yellow All Roads truck heading up Vancouver Hill today. Pretty impressive truck especially if they are planning on putting a plow on it. It would appear they do have equipment.

OKkayak likes this post.
southy
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 989 posts

Postby Bsuds » Sep 10th, 2019, 3:40 pm

alanjh595 wrote:I think your grape vine has root rot.

Maybe a boring worm.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 12984 posts

Postby Justa Krittic » Sep 10th, 2019, 4:37 pm

southy wrote:I saw a big brand new yellow All Roads truck heading up Vancouver Hill today. Pretty impressive truck especially if they are planning on putting a plow on it. It would appear they do have equipment.

so don't be calling this winter when the Highways are not plowed and complaining . And I cant wait to say I Told You So.
Justa Krittic

Postby soupy » Sep 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Justa Krittic wrote:
southy wrote:I saw a big brand new yellow All Roads truck heading up Vancouver Hill today. Pretty impressive truck especially if they are planning on putting a plow on it. It would appear they do have equipment.

so don't be calling this winter when the Highways are not plowed and complaining . And I cant wait to say I Told You So.

LOL. There are 3 guarantees in life.

Death, taxes, and people complaining about snow plowing. New contractor may do the best job this city has ever seen but there will still be pages upon pages of complaints.

alanjh595 likes this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 784 posts

Postby smoky500 » Sep 11th, 2019, 8:32 am

It is spelled out specifically what they need to do to meet contract requirements

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/drivi ... 018-19.pdf

section 3.01.2 specifically for winter maintenance
smoky500
Fledgling

Liked in: 75 posts

PreviousNext

Return to South Okanagan