Wine tasting and driving!

Re: Wine tasting and driving!

Postby Brushy Bill » Aug 22nd, 2019, 7:51 pm

Tourist traffic is always chaotic , always gawking , seeing signs and reacting without notice, driving slow to enjoy the view, finding their way about town
But assuming there are more impaired drivers on the road, assuming people are less responsible when around wineries, well, are only ASSumptions :130:

this is 2019, where's the emoji for toking?

OllyV likes this post.
Brushy Bill
Fledgling

Liked in: 93 posts

Postby youhavegottobekidding » Aug 28th, 2019, 5:34 am

What we need in this Province is a dedicated Hiway Patrol that does nothing but infractions of the Highway Traffic Act......There is so little enforcement on our hiways we need more as drivers are so aggressive no matter where you go it seems. There is just so little Police presence and we need more.... my 2 cents
youhavegottobekidding
Fledgling

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby 1791 » Aug 28th, 2019, 5:42 am

youhavegottobekidding wrote:What we need in this Province is a dedicated Hiway Patrol that does nothing but infractions of the Highway Traffic Act......There is so little enforcement on our hiways we need more as drivers are so aggressive no matter where you go it seems. There is just so little Police presence and we need more.... my 2 cents

??? Huh. Where are you finding these aggressive drivers. Maybe time to hand in your keys ? Never seen an aggressive driver myself. Way too many cops on the roads now.

Also if your talking about hwy 97. Its a parking lot. Lucky to travel the speed limit. What exactly makes someone aggressive. Is it that they have been stuck behind slow moving traffic for a lifetime. Finally snap ?
Fledgling

Liked in: 117 posts

Postby 65deluxe » Aug 28th, 2019, 9:54 pm

Remember the good old days of road blocks? Police need to check some of these wine/pubs around town. Like say the one's on Ellis street. Penticton has a lot more drunk drivers on the road then most people realize

soupy likes this post.
65deluxe

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby squash junky » Aug 30th, 2019, 9:29 am

The general rule of thumb is that 2 standard drinks in the first hour will raise your BAC to 0.05%, and 1 standard per hour thereafter will maintain that level.
When I take visitors for a tasting it takes about 2 hrs+ for visiting 4 wineries.
The wine poured per tasting is minimal around here, approximately 25 ml. (pour 4 together and it will be about half a glass for the wineries I frequent.)
I've tasted most wines so I might have 2 tastings, 50ml, per tour, but only if there are new wines.
Even if you do all tastings I think it might be tough to go over the legal limit.

OllyV likes this post.
squash junky
Fledgling

Liked in: 71 posts

Postby seewood » Aug 31st, 2019, 7:47 am

For what it's worth, I went to Costco online and bought a personal bat tester. Prices vary from 50 to 150$
40 minutes after dinner, a beer and two glasses of wine I blew .025. Weigh around 205 lbs.
The $50 one might be a great gift idea.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

2 people like this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1615 posts

Postby OllyV » Aug 31st, 2019, 8:35 am

southy wrote:
OKkayak wrote:Is there actual evidence of a higher rate of accidents due to impairment in that area? Or is it just assuming that people are driving drunk because of the wineries?

Can't give you actual numbers, but from friends I have in Naramata, they claim they are seeing more accidents and near misses this summer. I can personally attest that part of the problem I saw on that snake like piece of road is wine tasters not exactly sure where they are going or where they are going to stop. Their speed ranges from 10k to 60 maybe 70 back down to 20 then … oh, let me put my brakes on and turn here without signalling. They are oblivious to the fact that they have anywhere from 5 to 10 or more vehicles behind them. Has to be very frustrating for the local Naramatians who drive that road daily.

Also OKkayak, I think if an individual is out doing wine tastings you can expect them to try probably 3-5 wines per location. Not much per location but add that up over the day and yup, impairment is a result. And who knows perhaps there are those who are also indulging in some smoke along the way. I find it unusual that the police are not more visible in these areas.

So the answer to Ok's question is... no.
Just more anecdotal 'evidence'.

Maybe police aren't more present in these areas because the accident statistics do not support the theories we are hearing on here.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.

DetectivePikachu likes this post.
OllyV
Board Meister

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby OllyV » Aug 31st, 2019, 8:47 am

1791 wrote:
youhavegottobekidding wrote:What we need in this Province is a dedicated Hiway Patrol that does nothing but infractions of the Highway Traffic Act......There is so little enforcement on our hiways we need more as drivers are so aggressive no matter where you go it seems. There is just so little Police presence and we need more.... my 2 cents

??? Huh. Where are you finding these aggressive drivers. Maybe time to hand in your keys ? Never seen an aggressive driver myself. Way too many cops on the roads now.

Also if your talking about hwy 97. Its a parking lot. Lucky to travel the speed limit. What exactly makes someone aggressive. Is it that they have been stuck behind slow moving traffic for a lifetime. Finally snap ?

Judging by the tone of your response I think we've found one of those drivers. :135:

You obviously don't drive between Kelowna and Penticton often.

Next time you do try driving at or close to the speed limit. You'll see very quickly what the real danger on our highways is. And there are bucket loads of stats to support it.

Distraction, speed and aggressive driving is rampant.

Wherever you are seeing these cops on the highways lately it sure isn't between Kelowna and Penticton. You pass two RCMP stations on that stretch and you are lucky if you see a cop patrolling along there more than once a week.

Unless you count Tim's as patrolling.
Thank you God for making me an atheist.
OllyV
Board Meister

Liked in: 207 posts

Postby ferri » Aug 31st, 2019, 9:45 am

*Don't start making this personal please. :-X
“When someone is nasty or treats you poorly, don't take it personally. It says nothing about you, but a lot about them.” ― Michael Josephson

1791 likes this post.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Liked in: 10968 posts

Postby totoramona » Sep 3rd, 2019, 2:49 pm

seewood wrote:For what it's worth, I went to Costco online and bought a personal bat tester. Prices vary from 50 to 150$
40 minutes after dinner, a beer and two glasses of wine I blew .025. Weigh around 205 lbs.
The $50 one might be a great gift idea.

I totally agree! I have owned one for years, purchased at Lordco. We bring it out at every party. It really is interesting to have this biofeedback on your alcohol consumption and helps a person recognize when they are impaired. Also fun to compare your "drunkness" with others! :biggrin:
I don't think they are quite accurate enough to use as a confirmation that it is ok to drive unless your are near zero tho, as there can be some variability.
totoramona
Board Meister

Liked in: 284 posts

Previous

Return to South Okanagan