48451
46891

Dejong lies no one falls for it

Discuss the upcoming elections here.

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby George+ » Apr 20th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Tell bc hydro customers that they had the lowest rates in North America.
Just before Election Day!

Ridiculous increases under the Liberals watch.

All thanks to Christy's buddy, super rich Brad Bennet, who chairs BC Hydro.
George+
Guru
 
Posts: 9634
Likes: 4 posts
Liked in: 648 posts
Joined: Oct 10th, 2011, 11:08 am
Location: Oyama

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby hobbyguy » Apr 20th, 2017, 9:32 pm

George, you and MJ should move to the solar utopia of California where you can pay an average $.2727/kWh for residential electricity. Then you can whine about that awful BC Hydro that charges $.11/kWh.

NDP logic makes me laugh.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

2 people like this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6832
Likes: 1743 posts
Liked in: 5990 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby Old Techie » Apr 20th, 2017, 10:08 pm

hobbyguy wrote:NDP logic makes me laugh.


Makes me cry. :dash:
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2337
Likes: 1933 posts
Liked in: 3222 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby madmudder » Apr 21st, 2017, 4:04 am

Liberal trolls make me puke. :topic:

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
madmudder
Board Meister
 
Posts: 422
Likes: 1 post
Liked in: 123 posts
Joined: Jan 1st, 2009, 6:32 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby krocky » Apr 21st, 2017, 7:34 am

Urbane wrote:Those of us who are BC Hydro customers need to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. The corporation has infrastructure needs and a debt. We've also had some of the lowest rates in North America so it's time we step up.

Yes, poor, poor, BC Hydro. In 2016 the top 5 executives pulled in a combined salary of 1.5 million dollars. I know a single mom with 2 kids living in Summerland, in a small condo and her hydro bills this winter were over $400/month so for the first time in her life she had to go to the food bank to feed her kids. Another young couple I know built a carriage house as a mortgage helper and their Hydro bills this winter were over 800/month so now after spending the money to build it they can only rent it out in the Summer months thanks to 2 tier billing..

Yes poor, poor, BC Hydro.. Christy, please step it up and allow them another increase so they can give themselves a nice fat bonus..

And what ever we do lets not elect a government who wants to do something about it, no don't do THAT because how on earth would we pay for those stupid promises and still give all her BFF executives their 2017 raise and bonus..??

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 911
Likes: 142 posts
Liked in: 357 posts
Joined: Oct 28th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby krocky » Apr 21st, 2017, 7:47 am

hobbyguy wrote: NDP logic makes me laugh.

I can totally see why that would be. Liberal logic is "all for me and none for anyone else". It is sooo easy to spot the Liberal supporters without them ever having to say they are.

If you say, "if she can't afford to feed her kids she shouldn't have had any", you might be a Liberal
If you say, " if you can't pay your bill then turn off your HEAT and put on a jacket", you might be a Liberal
If you say, " we need to step-it-up and pay more to help out poor BC Hydro, you might be a Liberal
If you say, "I can afford my bill so if you can't then MOVE, you might be a Liberal

I could go on but I won't, well one last one...

If you don't think that Mike De Jong is a moron, then, you ARE a Liberal...!!!
Last edited by krocky on Apr 21st, 2017, 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

maryjane48 likes this post.
User avatar
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 911
Likes: 142 posts
Liked in: 357 posts
Joined: Oct 28th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby maryjane48 » Apr 21st, 2017, 8:03 am

*removed* saddle bc with a dam that will cost tax payers tens of millions and see rates go up .my plan make a one time investmen t and kiss powerbills goodbye . thats the choice .
Last edited by ferri on Apr 21st, 2017, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Making it personal
Weed .coming to store near you :)
3.7 cents kwh in alberta :)
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16838
Likes: 10416 posts
Liked in: 2614 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby hobbyguy » Apr 21st, 2017, 8:58 am

You are solar dreaming again. $20-$30,000 that you get to spend all over again to produce electricity part time part of the year. Yes, a couple powerwalls in there helps. But the only way it works is if you "free ride" off the grid. Your peak needs will be in January - good luck with your solar dreaming in BC in January.

Just a single powerwall, given the lifespan, will cost you $.25/kWh. If you aren't going to "free ride" off the grid (i.e. ask the rest of us to subsidize you), a typical home will need two powerwalls. https://cleantechnica.com/2015/05/09/tesla-powerwall-powerblocks-per-kwh-lifetime-prices-vs-aquion-energy-eos-energy-imergy/

Then the base system and install is costing you about $.0941/kWh without financial considerations.

IF you took that $20,000 and invested it at 4% compounded annually, you would earn $23,316. That adds another $.1097/kWh.

Total price for your solar dreaming system for the average homeowner: $.4538/kWh.

IF you "free ride" from the grid, asking the rest of us to subsidize you, then you can reduce that to about $.3438/kWh.

So lets see, my choices are:
1. purchase electricity from BC Hydro dams for $.11/kWh, or if you include inflationary pressures, an average of about $.1350/kWh over the 25 years.
2. full solar dream and pay $.4538/kWh
3. cheat, "free ride" from the grid, and get others to subsidize me, and partially solar dream for $.3438/kWh.

Only "NDP logic" would choose 2 or 3, and most likely #3 - using other people's money.
We can have democracy in this country, or we can have great wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both. - Louis D. Brandeis

Old Techie likes this post.
hobbyguy
Guru
 
Posts: 6832
Likes: 1743 posts
Liked in: 5990 posts
Joined: Jan 20th, 2011, 8:10 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby Old Techie » Apr 21st, 2017, 9:19 am

maryjane48 wrote:my plan make a one time investment and kiss power bills goodbye . thats the choice .


That's the point, it ISN'T a one time investment. That's a fallacy you are promoting. Those precious solar panels of yours will not, nor will they ever, last as long as a dam. Factor in the replacement costs after twenty years or so, (having worked many years in construction, one thing I've learned is that the "lifetime" of a product as told by the manufacturer, and the "lifetime" of the product as realized by the consumer, are two different animals, with the former being exaggerated substantially) not to mention the likelihood of maintenance becoming necessary along the way, plus the need for backup during peak winter demand, and then tell me you're kissing the power bills goodbye.

You do realize that a power bill, whether received from BC Hydro/Fortis, or generated through costs incurred by your own system, is still a power bill, do you not?
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela

Merry likes this post.
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2337
Likes: 1933 posts
Liked in: 3222 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby Mr_Mrs_Wolf » Apr 22nd, 2017, 8:22 am

Urbane wrote:As usual, Keith Baldrey gets it right:

NDP leader John Horgan has opted to roll the dice and go big when it comes to making lavish spending promises. He has shucked off the constraints that come with relatively lower government spending and has instead embraced a position favoured by the NDP up until its electoral near-wipe out in 2001: big spending and tax hikes (albeit on corporations and high-income earners).
http://globalnews.ca/news/3390913/baldr ... -promises/


If KB wants to keep his nice corner office in the legde he cannot ever come out critical of the party in power. All jurno's can push only so far if they want to remain working in this town. They have not and do not control what gets printed. So to suggest KB got it right is not really accurate. What you are agreeing with is his editor gave direction to write what you wanted to read.
User avatar
Mr_Mrs_Wolf
Fledgling
 
Posts: 147
Likes: 21 posts
Liked in: 133 posts
Joined: Nov 8th, 2016, 1:27 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby maryjane48 » Apr 22nd, 2017, 9:15 am

That's the point, it ISN'T a one time investment. That's a fallacy you are promoting. Those precious solar panels of yours will not, nor will they ever, last as long as a dam. Factor in the replacement costs after twenty years or so, (having worked many years in construction, one thing I've learned is that the "lifetime" of a product as told by the manufacturer, and the "lifetime" of the product as realized by the consumer, are two different animals, with the former being exaggerated substantially) not to mention the likelihood of maintenance becoming necessary along the way, plus the need for backup during peak winter demand, and then tell me you're kissing the power bills goodbye.

You do realize that a power bill, whether received from BC Hydro/Fortis, or generated through costs incurred by your own system, is still a power bill, do you not?

and with the new silicon batteries being developed storage will be cheap no toxins from materials as silicon is a form of glass and winters wont matter as the panels get better .

dams cant be scaled up to put out 16 times the power which will be needed . you really think bc is going to build 15 more dams ? lol thats funny
. the simple answer is site c is already a dead horse .


how do you plan on supply the energy we will need that site c will be 15 times to weak to supply magic ? unicorns possibly ?

because if you cant answer that then you dont really understand the challenges . trump and team wont be in power for ever and when the dems are back in power world will be back on track again.


but first tell me when site c is maxed out which will be first day its turned on then where does the extra power we need come from

and when your done with that why should granny face rising energy costs when there is ways to eliminate power bills ?


um if you are maintaining your own system so what ? every house needs maintaining .
Weed .coming to store near you :)
3.7 cents kwh in alberta :)
User avatar
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 16838
Likes: 10416 posts
Liked in: 2614 posts
Joined: May 28th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby Merry » Apr 22nd, 2017, 10:57 am

I hate it when politicians lie in order to try to get the "upper hand" over their opponents. And by that I mean ALL politicians, regardless of their political stripe.

We see this behaviour more and more often these days, at ALL levels of Government, and we also see it from some of their overly partisan supporters (even on these forums). But the real problem is that such folks lie in this way because it WORKS. And the reason it works is because far too many people fail to do their own homework, preferring instead to rely totally on what they read and/or see in the (usually very biased) media.

This failure to check facts for yourself, and to rely on biased reporting of supposed facts instead, is harming democracy in a very big way. And is part of the explanation as to why elected Government don't always appear to deliver what those who elected them expected them to deliver.

Distorting the truth in order to mislead voters is a lie, no matter how you frame it. And if the Party you support has to lie in order to win, maybe it's time to consider why lying about their opponents is preferable to telling us what their own political Platform is. What is it they're trying to hide from us?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 6820
Likes: 3705 posts
Liked in: 3638 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby Old Techie » Apr 22nd, 2017, 11:57 am

maryjane48 wrote:um if you are maintaining your own system so what ? every house needs maintaining .


Well ummmm oh cocky one, that maintenance is part of the cost of the system, so don't go blathering on about no power bill when all you're really doing is engaging in creative accounting.

People connected to the grid get a power bill, that's it, within that bill is the cost of providing the power including maintenance, upgrades, and such, not to mention that as our system functions now, within that bill we are also contributing monies to other things such as health care.

You are conveniently boasting about freedom from power bills, while completely discounting the cost of maintenance, and replacement of components, that have at most one quarter the lifetime of a dam, and not accounting for lost income to general revenue that pays for things you are professing to be so concerned about.

You are the one who needs to take a second look at your definition of "freedom" because most see it as the pie in the sky thinking that it is.

For some a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing, and you fall into that category, heck you're drowning in that category.
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2337
Likes: 1933 posts
Liked in: 3222 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby Merry » Apr 22nd, 2017, 12:06 pm

Old Techie wrote:[People connected to the grid get a power bill, that's it, within that bill is the cost of providing the power including maintenance, upgrades, and such, not to mention that as our system functions now, within that bill we are also contributing monies to other things such as health care.


This statement is perfectly true; however it's time Governments stopped using things like Hydro to pay for things like Health Care.

By hiding health care and other costs inside our Hydro Bills, Governments are able to pretend to reduce our income taxes. When, in reality, it doesn't change the amount we actually pay for the various Government services, just the way we pay it.

It's hard to hold Government to account for the way they spend our money, when the way it is collected and distributed is not clear to the average person. Which is exactly the reason Government's LOVE to muddy the waters the way they do. But it's time we taxpayers started demanding more transparency in our tax collection system; which means telling Government's to stop using things like ICBC and BC Hydro as a back door way of collecting taxes.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 6820
Likes: 3705 posts
Liked in: 3638 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 11:41 am

Re: Dejong lies no one falls for it

Postby Old Techie » Apr 22nd, 2017, 12:30 pm

I happen to agree with you Merry, but let's not lose sight of which party took it upon themselves to set such a precedent.

It's important people take note of that, when they try to sift through all the nonsense posted.

Income tax was supposed to be a temporary thing for the war effort, but look at where we've come to with that.

Politicians just can't seem to bring themselves, to let go of an income stream, once it's in place.

Ironically in many threads on Castanet, it's the NDP supporters crying loudest about the Liberals engaging in such tactics, when they were not the ones who implemented it.

Are they really hoping we are too stupid, to realize who began such a practice?

Sometimes when I read things here, I get this picture in my head, of a school bully who throws the first punch, then gets all indignant, when his victim turns around and gives him a black eye.
"Fools multiply when wise men are silent!" - Nelson Mandela
User avatar
Old Techie
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2337
Likes: 1933 posts
Liked in: 3222 posts
Joined: Apr 27th, 2013, 2:47 pm

PreviousNext

Return to British Columbia Elections 2017

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron