JOBS! Jobs! jobs?

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Re: JOBS! Jobs! jobs?

Post by lasnomadas »

' Highest job growth', 'lowest unemployment'.......Why keep repeating those trite old BC Liberal lies? There must be something they've done in the past 16 years that they can be proud of. Think hard, I'll see if you've found anything when I come back tomorrow.

Sure hope that boring 'dumpster fire of stupidity' gets replaced with something new tomorrow as well.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

lasnomadas wrote:' Highest job growth', 'lowest unemployment'.......Why keep repeating those trite old BC Liberal lies? There must be something they've done in the past 16 years that they can be proud of. Think hard, I'll see if you've found anything when I come back tomorrow.

Sure hope that boring 'dumpster fire of stupidity' gets replaced with something new tomorrow as well.
You can belittle the jobs, and they obviously aren't important to you, but they are important to those who have them. Job creation is one big reason that the Liberals won the 2013 election. I have a feeling that jobs will be a big issue next Tuesday as well.
JollyGreenBully
Banned

Post by JollyGreenBully »

Job growth as in what exactly? Yes, I'm seriously asking. I always see all these ads and so on claiming "jobs" are being created, but what jobs are we talking about specifically and where are they?

If they're high-paying jobs then great, thanks Christy. If we're talking about a thousand more minimum wage jobs and counting that as "job growth" then that's ridiculous.

Are there actual stats somewhere? Every time I look there are just blanket statements about "jobs" but no specifics.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

lasnomadas wrote:' Highest job growth', 'lowest unemployment'.......Why keep repeating those trite old BC Liberal lies? There must be something they've done in the past 16 years that they can be proud of. Think hard, I'll see if you've found anything when I come back tomorrow.

Obnoxiousness isn't bound to get you much of a response, so why not do us..............errrrr yourself a favor and take the day off.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I'd just like to chime in on the repeated appearance of complaints about the Liberals' so-called "failure" to advance their LNG agenda. Let's not forget that in 2013 oil was over $100/bbl, and nobody saw the price crash coming. Nobody. Christy Clark is no more responsible for the reduced interest in LNG development than Rachel Notely is responsible for job losses in the Alberta oilpatch.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The employment situation across western societies is becoming more precarious every day. Automation, robotics, computerization have taken a toll that continues to advance. AI is rapidly advancing and will create the next wave of challenges.

Recent reports estimate 38% of US jobs are at risk of being phased out due to these technological changes in the next 15 years.

In terms of these issues, the party platforms are quite different.

The Green party advocates a more expensive, but comprehensive set of solutions that appears to the best, aiming to prepare youth for a future economy, and provide adults with the necessary supports to adapt, while seeking out new opportunities.

The Liberals have a fairly much "steady as she goes" approach, but with a nod toward the future challenges. I think they need to do more, but the Liberals have at least made some solid efforts to diversify the economy and our export markets (which makes the economy more resilient and the jobs more resilient as a corollary).

The NDP remain stuck in the past. The platform is not much different than that which Dave Barrett ran on in the 1970s. It did not work in the 1990s, and is even less likely to work now - too much has changed. While the promise sounds good, you can not "bring back" the forest industry jobs that have gone. Paper has been replaced by tablets, computers and smartphones. More and more folks are looking to condos for housing (a worldwide trend) which means less lumber needed per capita. Sawmills are heavily automated and much more productive per log. So the NDP "talking point" has no more chance than Trump's promise to "bring back the coal jobs" (more than 40 US coal fired power plants are scheduled to close on Trump's watch - more coming every month - and not because of the EPA, because they can't compete with fracked [there's that technological change] natural gas etc.).

So the NDP are lost at sea on this whole issue. Just like so many other issues, the NDP 1970s answers are mired in a past that is gone forever.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

Okay, I'm back, and ready to debate the old Christy mantra, 'jobs, jobs, jobs!' The BC Liberals' 16 years are unblemished by a single success story. The massive Keystone Kops bungling of the LNG mess in itself should be enough to see the back of them for quite awhile. 100,000 jobs! Debt-free B.C! (when in reality the government has gone a further $71 Billion in debt over the last 4 years), Trillion dollar Prosperity Fund! (in the latest budget, they had to rob Peter to pay Paul a fraction of that to make it look like we actually HAD a Prosperity Fund). And why are we still paying the PST? That was supposed to be history too, if I remember correctly.

British Columbians lost more well-paying jobs over the past 16 years due to hospital, school, and government office closures than Christy created during her tenure. Oh, and before the usual suspects start jumping all over me and saying "Government jobs! We don't need no stinkin' government jobs!", may I remind them that the next time they need to call a govenment agency to inquire about a service, be it MSP premiums, or whatever, and they are put on hold with elevator music (or worse) for 20 minutes, they'll be the first ones whining about it.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

It's not just jobs, jobs, jerbs...

- it's the economy that matters, and post media outlets like the sun and province, are all endorsing the BC liberals as the best party to run the BC economy!

Personally, I think that's good to know.

Yeah, these guys...
Yeah, these guys...
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
lasnomadas
Übergod

Post by lasnomadas »

The editors of the Sun and Province have been right-wing supporters for as long as I can remember. I think it's disgraceful for any news medium to endorse a political party, but so far nobody's passed any legislation to stop them, anymore than the present government has legislated a ban on corporate and union donations. If you're foolish enough to vote for a party simply because the MSM endorses them, perhaps you should refrain from voting until you've had time to do some real research.

Did you know that even the MSM journalists are getting fed up with having to do battle with their editors in order to present the news in an unbiased manner?
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

But don't you remember the 90's?

Glen Clark stood accused of getting a deal on a sundeck and got prosecuted.

Our current premier get's a nice car - from a party donor.
Lives in a nice rented house in Dunbar - owned by a party donor.
Gets a 50,000 top up from the party funds - (5 million of which has come from people that have been appointed to government positions.)

- and no-ones talking about prosecuting our current premier clark.

Clearly, the NDP are corrupt, besides, it's all about the economy!

Oh and low taxes! Just this year TD bank got 2.8 million dollars back from the government. How can you say that's not low taxes?
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Besides, it's like our current premier said; when asked about how she was going to regain British Columbian's trust.

British Columbian's are concerned with jobs!

For good reason - I might add...

jobs,-jerbs,-jobs.jpg
krocky
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by krocky »

Old Techie wrote:

Obnoxiousness isn't bound to get you much of a response, so why not do us..............errrrr yourself a favor and take the day off.

Can there even be a better example of the pot calling the kettle black..???
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

JollyGreenBully wrote:Job growth as in what exactly? Yes, I'm seriously asking. I always see all these ads and so on claiming "jobs" are being created, but what jobs are we talking about specifically and where are they?

If they're high-paying jobs then great, thanks Christy. If we're talking about a thousand more minimum wage jobs and counting that as "job growth" then that's ridiculous.

Are there actual stats somewhere? Every time I look there are just blanket statements about "jobs" but no specifics.

They're everywhere. I could find jobs for at least 100 carpenters tomorrow morning. Every industry is booming right now in this area. I'm not giving Clark credit for that though. I think this would be happening regardless of who is in office. People want to live here.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

krocky wrote:Can there even be a better example of the pot calling the kettle black..???

Yes. It be looking at you from the bathroom mirror. :biggrin: You kinda left the door wide open on that one.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Actually it does matter which party is in power.

The NDP years were an absolute disaster for private sector jobs. They covered that up by running big deficits and hiring a ton of public sector workers (even though there was no need). I criticized Harper for that as well.

The current NDP platform will do exactly the same thing as the 1990s NDP mess. Not surprising, it is the same old bunch at the helm, Dix and Horgan. They will kill a LOT of jobs outside their immediate constituency and pad public sector jobs to compensate, run deficits, and not deliver better services.

The best platform for future jobs is the Green party platform, with the Liberals in second place, but back a bit. Both have some balance issues, but make some sense. Wish I could merge the two platforms in a "best practices" exercise.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”