Vote Agriculture over Illegal Winery heli tours

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Vote Agriculture over Illegal Winery heli tours

Post by fall »

Queen K wrote:
I hope you do.
Because if we hear one peep out of you over the results, the broken promises, the idjiots in Parliament, we can only hope you actually took an hour or less out of your time to vote.

I know, it's the hour or less part that I don't like. I probably will round up the other half and go drop a few in. I really hope voting can be done online one day.
If I don't vote I won't complain (hoping to get my forum posts out of my system all at once today for a few months at least) and I will be happy with whoever wins, I just like seeing over confident sore losers put in place.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

To be clear, we're in a stronghold Socred territory which sees no choice but to vote Liberal because that's all they feel they've got. Until the BC Conservatives get their party in order, the Socreds, now Liberals, see no choice but to vote Liberal. Four elections prove that fact.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I used to live on the Westside and am well aware of how many choppers flew around.

The point is the choppers are in an industrial area, and were there before most of the housing that surrounds now.

Who's the villain here the businesses that set up in an industrial area, or whomever allowed residential to surround said industrial area, without taking into consideration potential conflicts?

Clearly we have different viewpoints, because nothing annoys me more than latecomers to the party, wishing to dictate terms to the original residents.

The district should have had enough smarts to know that when you are in a valley sound travels and echoes, thus should have either kept development further away, expanded the industrial zone, or come up with some other solution.

Then again there are those who purposely purchase cheap in such an area, then hope that in time they can change rules and regulations and increase their property values. That angle isn't unheard of either.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Growing up we picked cherries for a dollar a bucket. I know the fear in the orchardists eyes when it rained in July. There is nothing more disheartening than to see beautifully ripe, red cherries with mould where the cherry meets the stem. May as well leave them rot on the tree.

Sickening. I remember the fields, when Dr. Knox, Dilworth, Black Mountain and Boucherie were beautiful. If it weren't for the ALR, we'd be stem to stern buildings by now, not that it isn't going that way anyway. Seems any old development will do, City Council rubber stamps even the most grotesque development calling it, "jobs" with little thought to how it's going to wear in the community for decades. Ghetto Kelowna.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Old Techie wrote:I used to live on the Westside and am well aware of how many choppers flew around.

The point is the choppers are in an industrial area, and were there before most of the housing that surrounds now.

Who's the villain here the businesses that set up in an industrial area, or whomever allowed residential to surround said industrial area, without taking into consideration potential conflicts?

Clearly we have different viewpoints, because nothing annoys me more than latecomers to the party, wishing to dictate terms to the original residents.

The district should have had enough smarts to know that when you are in a valley sound travels and echoes, thus should have either kept development further away, expanded the industrial zone, or come up with some other solution.

Then again there are those who purposely purchase cheap in such an area, then hope that in time they can change rules and regulations and increase their property values. That angle isn't unheard of either.

Used to live on the Westside, so you are unaware how much activity has increased.
They are in an industrial area zoned for helicopter use. Two of the three were not there anywhere close to before the subdivisions were built.
The district should have rezoned the area and not allowed new helicopter businesses to set up shop.
I don't blame the businesses at all, at the time West Kelowna was hurting for any business they could attract.
You can bet the original and current residents alike are not impressed.
Smarts and the district-COWK do not go together.
The area immediately impacted is an old established area, outdating your thirty year Westside residency.
Valhalla is new and has not yet completed their current expansion.
More people have and will continue to loose their shirts in that area not buy cheap and hope to profit.
The newcomers to the party are dictating everything, take a good look around!
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I agree with you it's not an ideal situation, however it is one that the COWK brought upon itself.

I understand the decision from the viewpoint that if you are going to have more helicopter businesses, where better to locate them than where there is already a long standing one. I believe for them it's a great location out of the way of planes and such.

The planners should however have addressed housing accordingly, when they opted to go down that path. It would for example perhaps, have been a good model for designating an area for lower cost housing, as in modulars, more mobile homes, and such, with residents accepting that said lower cost comes at a price.

I could certainly put up with a few choppers flying around if my housing costs were half. :biggrin: Just an idea of course.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

The area worst impacted is that subdivision off Westlake who's backyards border Valhalla but many other residents are impacted and irritated also, on both sides of the highway.
For the record from my observations Alpine and Wildcat are very respectful and minimize any impact on neighbourhoods.
One company is the exact opposite, which I will not name. They constantly appear to fly very low over homes, almost giving residents a middle finger as they tour around and buzz their homes.
I would suspect this will be much more of a hot topic with thousands of Westside residents in the next provincial election after enduring four more years of ramped up lawless tours lol, until then!
EZGuy

Post by EZGuy »

McLeans Magazine (see below) has an article worth reading which may explains my frustration with Cristy Clarks Liberals. The illegal winery heli tours are just one example. The lack of environmental oversight is another. RCMP investigating donation scandals. Petronas donating to the Liberals, The additional hidden taxes like BC Hydro rates and ICBC costs while promoting lower tax rates... it goes on and on.

Take the time to vote, I just hope you understand my reasons for voting for change. 16 years of,this,is enough.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/will-mo ... -election/

Quote from the article...

"the premier still appears blind to the thing most likely to break her party’s 16-year grip on power: the growing perception that a cabal of powerful people — BC Liberal donors, lobbyists and corporate heads — are running the province in their own interest. It casts Clark as a kind of reverse Robin Hood, “robbing the poor to feed the rich,” says Kai Nagata of the Dogwood Initiative, a nonpartisan citizen action network. “Your Hydro rates are going up, your rent’s gone up, you’re paying more in bridge tolls. Everything about your life is becoming more expensive. And it’s all done to benefit wealthy Liberal donors — the people getting tax cuts and free hydro to power their LNG projects.”
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

EZGuy wrote:McLeans Magazine (see below) has an article worth reading which may explains my frustration with Cristy Clarks Liberals. The illegal winery heli tours are just one example. The lack of environmental oversight is another. RCMP investigating donation scandals. Petronas donating to the Liberals, The additional hidden taxes like BC Hydro rates and ICBC costs while promoting lower tax rates... it goes on and on.

Take the time to vote, I just hope you understand my reasons for voting for change. 16 years of,this,is enough.

http://www.macleans.ca/politics/will-mo ... -election/

Quote from the article...

"the premier still appears blind to the thing most likely to break her party’s 16-year grip on power: the growing perception that a cabal of powerful people — BC Liberal donors, lobbyists and corporate heads — are running the province in their own interest. It casts Clark as a kind of reverse Robin Hood, “robbing the poor to feed the rich,” says Kai Nagata of the Dogwood Initiative, a nonpartisan citizen action network. “Your Hydro rates are going up, your rent’s gone up, you’re paying more in bridge tolls. Everything about your life is becoming more expensive. And it’s all done to benefit wealthy Liberal donors — the people getting tax cuts and free hydro to power their LNG projects.”

I guess I have less faith than you that the NDP would be an improvement in terms of honesty, transparency and integrity, although if they're elected I'll be very pleased if they prove me wrong.

It seems to me the cost of everything will rise at least as much under either of the other parties, probably more. I'm not prepared to help make that happen, just so specific wealthy people won't be as advantaged. Other people will benefit more than we do from having the NDP in power, so it's pretty moot. It comes back to voting for the party with the policies that seem best to me.

Sometimes, change is good. I'm not convinced changing to the NDP or the Greens is in our best interest. If either does take the reins, I hope very much to be proven wrong!
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”