Other
1%

Total votes: 68

Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Re: Who's going to win today?

Post by Barney Google »

:laugh:

None of these players are gonna give up their seats...

Stalemate [icon_lol2.gif]
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Andrew Weaver said that by convention the party with more seats than any other party gets the first chance to govern. If he had respected that convention he'd now be working with the Liberals and would have a 46-41 edge. However, he chose to work with the party that finished second and now he's in a 44-43 position before the speaker is appointed. I'd say it's up to Weaver to find a solution that works and if it doesn't work it's on him.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Urbane wrote:Andrew Weaver said that by convention the party with more seats than any other party gets the first chance to govern. If he had respected that convention he'd now be working with the Liberals and would have a 46-41 edge. However, he chose to work with the party that finished second and now he's in a 44-43 position before the speaker is appointed. I'd say it's up to Weaver to find a solution that works and if it doesn't work it's on him.

yea well clark promised families first and millions of lng jobs . :smt045
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Yeah, well...the rules of the house clearly allow....

Christy to be speaker!

Twould be a great, humbling experience for her!
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Barney Google wrote::laugh:

None of these players are gonna give up their seats...

Stalemate [icon_lol2.gif]
If nobody is willing to be speaker, the house can't sit. Government can't form and we're back to the polls.

Is that a win for someone?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

^^ Some of us have been saying that this election there aren't really any winners, unless you count the Greens fifteen minutes in the spotlight, which might be all it turns out to be.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

LordEd wrote:
Is that a win for someone?

Not really, Ed.

But maybe if we are forced back to the polls those that failed to exercise their privilege to vote will now be compelled

or movitaved to do so.

We've seen that the Greens are willing to align themselves with the NDP.

Clark ain't gonna back down and why should she? Despite her failures half of BC apparently support her.

Nearly half of BC want the NDP but will some voters resupport them knowing what they know now?

We now know 'the lay of the land' as far as the voting goes and what sectors of BC are party strong holds and

which ones are teetering areas.

With one vote separating the 'powers' going back to the polls just might be the wisest thing for BC.

Ya know, I never gave the Greens too much though until this election.

I heard some realistic and sane speak from that quadrant during the campaigning that gave me hope that BC might have

a strengthening third party that could bring some balance to mix. I was impressed. Then they signed on with the NDP...

breaking their first campaign promised.

Man, oh man...politicians...I'm nauseous as hell at all of them...

tar an feather the lot of them!
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

If the Liberals drift us into another election,
They will take the blame and
Be Decimated.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

I think it comes down to how happy people are with the current layout.

Will green voters be emboldened with their success this election and support, or if they are unhappy with a ndp agreement, will that cost them?

Will the close ndp vote encourage more votes? Or will fear of a ndp majority take away protest voters?

Will a close liberal run bring out more liberal votes? Or did voters really want change?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

George+ wrote:If the Liberals drift us into another election,
They will take the blame and
Be Decimated.
Green/ndp have the majority combined. They have 3 competency test before they can get the government.

1. Appoint a speaker
2. Non confidence of liberals
3. Pass their throne speech.

Are you setting up blame before they even try? You must have great faith in Cristy's abilities to get things done.

LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

If an NDP or a Green MLA is appointed Speaker, that leaves the house at a 43-43 tie before the predicted confidence vote. Despite coming from the Opposition benches, the unwritten rules of the house would demand that the Speaker vote to prop up the government, which in that case would be the Liberals under Premier Christy Clark.
I missed that. Holy crap that's a genius play.

She's playing by the book. She said in her speech she's following parliamentary tradition in respect of government, and the book says the speaker would have to toss out decades of parlaimentary tradition to take down the government.

And as soon as that happens, it's however many months or years repeating how the ndp/green is illigitemate and has no respect for the rules of government (and what else isn't important to them).

They walked into a political landmine and dont even realize their legs are blown off yet.

Don't worry about her being slow to call the house. She needs this to run.

mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

LordEd wrote:
If an NDP or a Green MLA is appointed Speaker, that leaves the house at a 43-43 tie before the predicted confidence vote. Despite coming from the Opposition benches, the unwritten rules of the house would demand that the Speaker vote to prop up the government, which in that case would be the Liberals under Premier Christy Clark.
I missed that. Holy crap that's a genius play.

She's playing by the book. She said in her speech she's following parliamentary tradition in respect of government, and the book says the speaker would have to toss out decades of parlaimentary tradition to take down the government.

And as soon as that happens, it's however many months or years repeating how the ndp/green is illigitemate and has no respect for the rules of government (and what else isn't important to them).

They walked into a political landmine and dont even realize their legs are blown off yet.

Don't worry about her being slow to call the house. She needs this to run.

The unwritten rules are probably based on Roberts rule of order. I doubt very much that a green or NDP would beholden themselves to that order. All in all, we are in a mess.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

mr.bandaid wrote:The unwritten rules are probably based on Roberts rule of order. I doubt very much that a green or NDP would beholden themselves to that order. All in all, we are in a mess.

I'm with you there.

It sure didn't take Weaver long to show his lack of integrity.

Right from the get go he's been demanding official party status, even though they fall short of the required amount of seats.

The only motive I can think of for that, is to get money flowing from the government.

If he gets it, which I'm sure he will, then the rules should be changed to three seats, otherwise it would be unfair to whomever gets just three seats later down the line.

Amusingly enough I don't believe even Clark went power crazy that quickly.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

Andrew Weaver said that by convention the party with more seats than any other party gets the first chance to govern. If he had respected that convention he'd now be working with the Liberals and would have a 46-41 edge. However, he chose to work with the party that finished second and now he's in a 44-43 position before the speaker is appointed.

I wondered about that choice as well.
Completely opposite of what Mr. Weaver's stated objectives were earlier.

Perhaps he realized the political corner he had painted himself into?
Maybe he went with the weaker NDP option knowing it would fail? Then he could throw up his hands to his supporters and say "I tried" and ally himself to the Liberals "guilt free".
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Old Techie wrote:
mr.bandaid wrote:The unwritten rules are probably based on Roberts rule of order. I doubt very much that a green or NDP would beholden themselves to that order. All in all, we are in a mess.

I'm with you there.

It sure didn't take Weaver long to show his lack of integrity.

Right from the get go he's been demanding official party status, even though they fall short of the required amount of seats.

The only motive I can think of for that, is to get money flowing from the government.

If he gets it, which I'm sure he will, then the rules should be changed to three seats, otherwise it would be unfair to whomever gets just three seats later down the line.

Amusingly enough I don't believe even Clark went power crazy that quickly.

I believe he just wants to make as much money as he can while he can. Aligning with the NDP was a big mistake that will lead his party out of any possibility of gaining those seats again. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I just can't see this marriage lasting much longer than Denis Rodman/Carmen Electra's marriage (9 days for those who don't want to look that up).
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”