Bc libs manipulate 2017 election

Discuss the upcoming elections here.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Bc libs manipulate 2017 election

Post by maryjane48 »

The government’s manipulation of British Columbia’s electoral boundaries benefited the BC Liberal Party in last week’s election, according to one political analyst.

In an article titled “Gerrymandered ridings gave BC Liberals narrow election win,” Will McMartin details in the Pacific Political Report

McMartin is a long-time political consultant affiliated with the Social Credit and BC Conservative parties who for many years wrote columns for The Tyee.

“The province-wide vote on May 9 clearly demonstrated... that the latest redrawing of the province’s electoral map significantly favoured one political party — the governing BC Liberals,” he wrote in the newsletter.

When the government launched the process to review the constituency boundaries in 2013, it stipulated there could be no reduction in the number of seats in three areas: the North, the Cariboo-Thompson, and Columbia-Kootenay.

In total, 17 constituencies in those regions were “protected” or “frozen,” even though they are relatively sparsely populated.

Under B.C. law, constituencies are supposed to have similar populations to ensure equal representation. Other than in “special circumstances,” the law requires constituencies to be within 25 per cent of the provincial average. The government allowed constituencies in the three regions to have smaller populations

In last week’s vote, the BC Liberals won in the majority of those smaller constituencies that they had protected, McMartin pointed out. “Of the 17 electoral districts with below-average populations, the BC Liberals won 13 — or three of every four,” he wrote, noting that each of those ridings had an average of 14,475 votes cast.

That was much better than the party fared in the province’s other 70 regular-sized constituencies. In those, where an average of 22,190 people voted, the BC Liberals won just 30 out of 70, or about two out of every five.

When the Electoral Boundaries Commission was appointed in 2014, Liberal MLAs argued in the Legislature that people in small towns in rural areas had been losing political power and that it was important to protect their representation.

NDP MLAs agreed with that principle but said those arguments should be made in front of the independent commission and that the Legislature shouldn’t “constrain” its work.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2017/05/17/Gerr ... ction-Win/

so what we have is clark so desperate to keep on getting rich on taxpayers dime was so strong that she cheated . if she had done the proper thing and let the commission do its job ,the results would have been legit no matter the winner .

now as it stands the bclibs cheated . and still didnt win any type of mandate as they only got 40 to 41 percent of pop vote which is same as ndp . almost 17 for greens .
ndp wont have a mandate either by themselves but with the greens some things they believe same as ndp on more issues than the bclibs . so if bclibs win i see a election in 2 years . if ndp win i see 4 years till campain starts
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Bclibs manipulate 2017 election

Post by GordonH »

Worked so very well in their landslide victory. lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

lol yea but what it did do was keep it close . if they had been honest i think ndp would have majority now
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Just looking at population would mean that the Lower Mainland would make all the decisions for the whole province. We need a balance and that's what we have now. The votes are still being counted but as of now the Liberals are a bit ahead in the popular vote and a bit ahead in number of seats. That doesn't sound out of line to me.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

Urbane wrote:Just looking a population would mean that the Lower Mainland would make all the decisions for the whole province. We need a balance and that's what we have now. The votes are still being counted but as of now the Liberals are a bit ahead in the popular vote and a bit ahead in number of seats. That doesn't sound out of line to me.

it isnt a balance when ridings are manipulated to favour one party over others . the election commision was started 8n 2014 . ndp wasnt in power then if you need reminding and the bclibs refused to listen to their own commission .

clarks a cheater and you support that urb it seems clear . even if ndp win it still wont change clarks attempts to manipulate an election . she should be facing criminal charges
mr.bandaid
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mr.bandaid »

Urbane wrote:Just looking at population would mean that the Lower Mainland would make all the decisions for the whole province. We need a balance and that's what we have now. The votes are still being counted but as of now the Liberals are a bit ahead in the popular vote and a bit ahead in number of seats. That doesn't sound out of line to me.

Yup. No hope past Hope.
Never argue with an idiot, they will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Bc libs manipulate 2017 election

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:

McMartin is a long-time political consultant affiliated with the Social Credit and BC Conservative parties who for many years wrote columns for The Tyee.

LOL - another bogus NDP propaganda piece.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I'm blaming Russia
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

maryjane48 wrote:lol yea but what it did do was keep it close . if they had been honest i think ndp would have majority now

If who had been honest? The NDP? It's against their nature to be honest.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
madmudder
Board Meister

Post by madmudder »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 24th, 2017, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
alfred2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by alfred2 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 25th, 2017, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without baiting.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

maryjane48 wrote:lol yea but what it did do was keep it close . if they had been honest i think ndp would have majority now

Yes and without getting any more votes, thus demonstrating effectively why they are so eager to change the rules.

Giving all the power, to make decisions for the whole province, to the lower mainland alone, is unacceptable.

Many who live and vote down there are immigrants and don't even have a clue as to how the province functions, and what role the resource sector plays. All they care about is no tolls, better transportation (with us footing the bill for their needs), and cheaper housing.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

wrong again sigh. the changes proposed were recommended by the commission bclibs started themselves . zero to do with any party but clarks crew themselves .

i guess if facts dont line up for you ,inventing is good enough for you ? [icon_lol2.gif]
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
maryjane48 wrote:

LOL - another bogus NDP propaganda piece.

How do you figure? You obviously support the Liberals, who are centre-right. You then point to a writer who is affiliated with two other centre-right parties and claim he's a leftist?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
neilsimon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by neilsimon »

Old Techie wrote:...
Yes and without getting any more votes, thus demonstrating effectively why they are so eager to change the rules.

Giving all the power, to make decisions for the whole province, to the lower mainland alone, is unacceptable.

True, but if they make up 60% of the population, they should have essentially 60% of the influence. It wouldn't be appropriate for a voter in Terrace to have greater or lesser influence in terms of picking the government than a voter in Richmond. The fact that they do, is a form of discrimination.

Many who live and vote down there are immigrants and don't even have a clue as to how the province functions, and what role the resource sector plays. All they care about is no tolls, better transportation (with us footing the bill for their needs), and cheaper housing.

Nice bit of xenophobia there. They can't vote if they aren't citizens and all citizens should be treated equally, it shouldn't matter if they were born in BC or Bahrain. Having lived up North, I can tell you that there are plenty of immigrants there too.

Return to “British Columbia Elections 2017”