Mill Creek flooding, who cares?

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Mill Creek flooding, who cares?

Post by MAPearce »

Fancy wrote:Interesting history though - saw photos of the irrigation ditches needed way back when. Sandbagging is back breaking work but a necessary chore some years. West Kelowna had an area last year where sand and bags were dumped for local residents.

Indeed it is ... Back "then" though , people were a LOT more resilient and knew better ..

I guess that's my point in this thread ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Large part of downtown & Mission areas is reclaim marsh lands, due to that water table is high in many areas. Hence no underground parking areas & many of the homes may not have basements, if they do part of it is above ground.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

in case you're interested in reading about what the city has to say about Mill Creek

https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/docs/homes-building/mill_creek_flood_plain_bylaw_no._10248.pdf
I haven't failed until I quit.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

GordonH wrote:
Exactly, buyer be aware find out before you purchase if the property is in the flood plain if so. Weigh pro's & con's before purchasing.... not after, if you did purchase it don't be shocked if one day it does flood.

Maybe be proactive and install pumping system, it may not stop the flooding from happening but enough to minimize damage to the home.

I do agree with you Gordon,

I grew up close to the Chilliwack River and there were basically two types of people that bought property right along the river.
Those that built retaining walls, and prepared for a flood. And also those that complained and begged for help when it did flood.

I really don't see much difference with people living along Mill Creek.

I do live along Mill Creek, however we do have a retaining wall minimizing our risks. Plus I am prepared to loose everything in the house if another big flood does occur.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

GordonH wrote:Large part of downtown & Mission areas is reclaim marsh lands, due to that water table is high in many areas. Hence no underground parking areas & many of the homes may not have basements, if they do part of it is above ground.

Maybe Carole Gran's grandiose canal suggestion wouldn't have been the multi billion dollar engineering fiasco I said it woulda been.
If you look way back when, it's kinda neat how beavers were so responsible for shaping Canada's landscape before man intervened.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Lady tehMa wrote:in case you're interested in reading about what the city has to say about Mill Creek

https://www.kelowna.ca/sites/files/1/docs/homes-building/mill_creek_flood_plain_bylaw_no._10248.pdf

Which can be summed up as "Be prepared for it to flood". Bylaw basically requires any building in the flood plain to have a minimum elevation with anything below that elevation suitable for submersion in water (and not designated as living space).
johnrae
Fledgling

Post by johnrae »

I suppose we could get the firemen to make pack the sand into bags. They are getting paid to lift weights and shop at Coopers , so they definitely have time to do it in between sets.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

TylerM4 wrote:Which can be summed up as "Be prepared for it to flood". Bylaw basically requires any building in the flood plain to have a minimum elevation with anything below that elevation suitable for submersion in water (and not designated as living space).

Yup, and they have some maps of the flood plain at the end.
I haven't failed until I quit.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

TylerM4 wrote:
Lady tehMa wrote:in case you're interested in reading about what the city has to say about Mill Creek

Which can be summed up as "Be prepared for it to flood". Bylaw basically requires any building in the flood plain to have a minimum elevation with anything below that elevation suitable for submersion in water (and not designated as living space).

Unless the property falls under section 5 - Exemptions, which deals with properties existing prior to the bylaws being legally non-conforming - which the vast majority of the homes along Mill Creek are.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ Of course the flood plain has been there a lot longer then any bylaws. Sooner or later that sucker is going to flood.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

GordonH wrote:^^^ Of course the flood plain has been there a lot longer then any bylaws. Sooner or later that sucker is going to flood.

If the weir gate controlling the water level isn't monitored correctly - yes. Which is apparently what happened in 2012 (the city and fire department assisted) and has apparently happened this time also.
entertained

Post by entertained »

WalterWhite wrote:So great to see so many that live in a community as beautiful as the Okanagan valley is - be so anti-community to their fellow residents. What the hell is wrong with some of you? The city of Kelowna has been allowed to surround Mill Creek practically since the days of Father Pandosy, and yes, every once in awhile the runoff and weather conditions creates high water. These tax-paying home owners aren't asking for some massive financial bail-out. The would just like some sand and bags conveniently located in the area they can fill to protect their homes. I was involved with a volunteer fire department back in the early 90's when the lake level rose to flood height. Just like in the weeks that surrounded the fires of 2003 that swept the east side of the valley, community pulled together manning sand bag stations all along the Abbott St. and Lakeshore Rd. corridor. People helping people. Some of you are real pieces of work, and I'm disappointed at the complete lack of community and utter contempt for others displayed here - over and over.

I agree with you walterwhite...these people making these anti community comments are probably new to Kelowna and they are bringing the big city attitude here. Guess we have to get use to it. Our once small, kind hearted city is gone.
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

So, now Mill Creek and other tributaries have crested their banks in several locations - and the city is now responding. The question is, why were the property owners turned away the first time, as sand has now been deposited for sandbagging. Unfortunately the horses fled the barn quite some time before the powers that be decided to close the door. Reactionary rather than preventative - excellent response to crisis management - not.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The question is, why were the property owners turned away the first time

Can I take a "stab " at this ???

Because they should know that WHEN YOU LIVE NEXT TO A BODY OF WATER , YOU SHOULD EXPECT FLOODING ......

I don't care if you live 30 , 40 , or 50 meters away from an ocean , lake , river or stream .. Unless you are actually smarter than Mother Nature , the weather or GOD "him"self .. You can't tell me that this is someone else's "responsibility" ,....

You just GOTTA know this "might" happen ..,.... Oy vey.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

As a kid our property flooded pretty well every spring, no government agency on any level would help.
Reason being area's of your farm are on the flood plain, we knew that. So we never asked we knew the response.

So over many years my parents built up those areas by bring in many trucks loads of dirt.

Added: my suggestion to homeowners along Mill Creek, find out if you can install concrete wall along your section of the creek. If so serious think about it... yes its an expense.

Return to “Flooding 2017”