More Flooding Imminent

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: More Flooding Imminent

Post by Urban Cowboy »

I wonder at what lake level, the water simply goes over, or around, the control system by the canal in Penticton?
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

tsayta wrote:CORD just issued an emergency alert to prepare for water levels 2 feet higher than we are right now? That doesn't sound right

343.6m possible,
0.6m is ~2 feet above what it is now. That will flood Pandosy.
Last edited by Jlabute on May 25th, 2017, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

The lake is very close to 243 as of a few hrs ago . I was out checking multiple beaches .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jflem1983 wrote:The lake is very close to 243 as of a few hrs ago . I was out checking multiple beaches .

News article posted at 5:45pm says it's already hit the projected target of 343 meters above sea level, and it's still rising.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197939
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Old Techie wrote:
Jflem1983 wrote:The lake is very close to 243 as of a few hrs ago . I was out checking multiple beaches .

News article posted at 5:45pm says it's already hit the projected target of 343 meters above sea level, and it's still rising.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#197939

Fair enough I am not the guy who decides . I was just looking at where the stakes were and where I saw the water . I checked sarsons rotary gyro and a few more
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jlabute wrote:
tsayta wrote:CORD just issued an emergency alert to prepare for water levels 2 feet higher than we are right now? That doesn't sound right

343.6m possible,
0.6m is ~2 feet above what it is now. That will flood Pandosy.

Seems to be going up close to 2 inches a day, so it should take around 12 days at that rate, but it's hard to know how much the heat wave is going to speed things up. As has been mentioned too the lower elevation stuff is for the most part melted, and I noticed Duck Lake has gone down a bit as the Natures fare fields are slowly reappearing.

Kal Lake is still rising though, but I'm not much up on what feeds into it.

I just hope for everyone's sake that we don't get any more heavy rainfall for a while.
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

Check out the latest water flows from mission Creek. Way down but just starting to edge back up...

photo hosting sites
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Old Techie wrote:So has Okanagan Lake matched 1948 yet?

No.

The lake was higher than that in 1904, 1896, and 1894, though records were not kept prior to the 1904 reading of 343.72m.
Last edited by Glacier on May 26th, 2017, 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Lots of charts and graphs here that I'm not reading. What is the fallout? How are people affected? Who needs extra help?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

Glacier wrote:
Old Techie wrote:So has Okanagan Lake matched 1948 yet?

No, but if this were 1948 the lake level.

The lake was higher than that in 1904, 1896, and 1894, though record were not kept prior to the 1904 reading of 343.72m.

Allnthem pre 1948 years, I dont think we had a flood control dam in Penticton.. Not sure when it was built.. But they have been able to adjust lake levels for decades... Its the high level snow that fell since Mar 1st that unexpectedly raised the snowpack to dangerous levels.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

60-YEARS-in-Ktown wrote: Allnthem pre 1948 years, I dont think we had a flood control dam in Penticton.. Not sure when it was built.. But they have been able to adjust lake levels for decades... Its the high level snow that fell since Mar 1st that unexpectedly raised the snowpack to dangerous levels.

The dams were NOT built for flood control, but rather to keep more water in Okanagan Lake. There was a devastating 3 year drought that started in 1929. It hardly rained for three years, and everyone ran out of water. The solution was to put dams on the lakes so that more water would be stored during the Spring. If there was no dams on the lakes today, the lake level would be lower, though still the highest in well over 100 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Looks like Armstrong or Salmon Arm. If I'm wrong, okay. I'm thinking Armstrong more though.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Smith Drive, Armstrong, that was a few weeks ago.

Return to “Flooding 2017”